IGNORED

Rom Version od Synassembler?

Allan

I think that there are no real advantages of SynAssembler above FE MAC65 or MADS.

(May be green screen color.)

But working with real ATARI we directly feel it's breathing.

It's not romantic at all.

I said somewhere in forum that modern computers gives us only 0,5% of it's lifetime and other time they are self-employed.

All loko steam goes to toot.

Atari instead gives us all it's time and it suffer that there are only 24 hours in a day. (we are often counting cicles isn't it?..)

The reason of using PC for programming is obvious.

If glorious FJC writes tonns of codes for drivers or GOS he has not real choice but to use colorized text with long-long strings on big screen.

May be that's all.

As a ROM version I can use the save-state feature of SDX. When I leave to DOS SDX saves the contents of the memory to disk, so even after a reboot and I enter the CART I have my source there again.

I prefer SynAssembler above all other Atari assemblers since it fits in 8K so that leaves me a huge amount of RAM, and it gives the possibility of running the assembled code without leaving the assembler. That is really a huge advantage. It's incredible fast and has lots of cool features.

It lacks the Macro feature of Mac65, but it can use LOCAL labels AND including source files so that gives a poor-mans-macro facility.

I 'hacked' the assembler so I changed the green in dark blue with bright characters. Much butter for the eyes.

There is only one bug… IIRC it assembles LDA $0000 into LDA $00 (it can be another issue, but it was something like this)

You must know that… but that is the only problem so far I found with synassembler.

• Like 1

Back in the day, the Synassembler was fairly popular because it operates much like the AsmEd cart, so the learning curve is shallow, and it is FAST (at least for a 1.79 MHz Atari). Personally, since my assembler needs are modest, I normally use the AsmEd cart, and for 65816 use, MAE. MAE is another fine assembler.

But if I were to guess why the rom version of Syn. is coveted, it is because it is very hard to find. "It exists, therefore I want it" or so the logic goes.

-Larry

• Like 1

Here's one reason why someone might be interested to use it. Think about ...

How very well put! That was was a great analogy.

My Father once asked me why I like old computers and then before I could answer, he said, "Is it because they're like old cars, maybe not the best but they have a charm about them?". I wouldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 3

How very well put! That was was a great analogy.

My Father once asked me why I like old computers and then before I could answer, he said, "Is it because they're like old cars, maybe not the best but they have a charm about them?". I wouldn't have said it better myself.

Yeah, I've often thought of the "old car" analogy. There is a beauty in simplicity. And there's something I find more interesting about programming to the "bare metal" rather than atop layers.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Share the ROM or let the thread die seriously.

I guess you have nothing to say at home, so you are going to give orders here ;)

Just a friendly suggestion: get yourself a dog :D

(Just kidding) ... but I'm not in the position to share the rom, since I promised to the provider of the rom that I won't share it.

• Like 1

I find more interesting about programming to the "bare metal" rather than atop layers.

Isn't it amazing that we have computers which are approximately 1000x faster now, with millions of times more storage, yet they don't actually do that much more in a practical sense?

It is all of the layers which you mention, like I have a virtual Windows system running, which itself runs through many, many layers, to actually achieve not a lot more than my A8 does, running an OS.

Isn't it amazing that we have computers which are approximately 1000x faster now, with millions of times more storage, yet they don't actually do that much more in a practical sense?

It is all of the layers which you mention, like I have a virtual Windows system running, which itself runs through many, many layers, to actually achieve not a lot more than my A8 does, running an OS.

And I think FJC's GUI is answering a lot of questions about just how far a little machine like this can be taken in comparison to modern operating systems. It also show's what a waste of resources modern systems are.

• Like 2

I guess you have nothing to say at home, so you are going to give orders here ;)

Just a friendly suggestion: get yourself a dog :D

(Just kidding) ... but I'm not in the position to share the rom, since I promised to the provider of the rom that I won't share it.

Well isn't that special. You have told us several times you won't share it.

But boy you sure love posting about that Synassembler cart you won't share don't you? You love the fact your the only one here with it. And your not shy about asking for help with something you won't share.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209790-run-address-in-sdx/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193795-basic-rev-c-from-disk-or-file/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/179861-cartridge-onoff-switch/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225073-side2-how-to-use-sram-inside/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209253-ultimon/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209379-checking-on-powerup-state/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209422-can-someone-show-an-example-of-custom-sic-flashing/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222695-which-modern-storage-solution/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/196163-how-to-move-memlo-up-in-spartados-3x/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/177854-where-to-see-version-number-of-assembler-editor/

@charlierecron

I know at least one other than me here in the thread who also have the ROM, and perhaps even two.

It is so obvious you don't know me at all, so please save yourself and all other people here from atariage with your analysis of me.

I would love to share the rom, but I promised not to. I do not enjoy that, and the fact you think that of me, say more about you than about me.

You really invested time to find all these links eh? Man… what a waste of time.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1

I have been comparing the file version to the rom version, but there are a few differences between them. I was surprised that the differences were more than a few bytes. It's pretty odd, since the amount of free ram between the file version and the rom version is the same. So is the MEMLO.

The code of $a000 and up in the rom version differs from the code of $a000 and up in the file version. So this needs more investigation.

But boy you sure love posting about that Synassembler cart you won't share don't you? You love the fact your the only one here with it. And your not shy about asking for help with something you won't share.

Look, there are lots of things people have that they can't share for various reasons. I have several prototype roms that I can't give out because I was asked not to. Should I "shut up about them" and never review them because you can't have them? There are many people who are interested in this topic (myself included) even though they can't have the rom.

You're acting like a spoiled brat. I suggest You let it die already. If you keep derailing this thread you will be banned from it. You are not entitled to anything and no one is required to share anything. I hope I have made things clear.

I have the ROM too, but am under a "non-disclosure" agreement as well.

You're lucky that I posted the ROM of Edit-6502, that one is about the same rarity (very scarce).

I still use both Synassembler and Edit-6502 from time to time...

• 1 year later...

Nir Dary still had dumps of his old cartridges. Sadly the cartridges are lost but here are his dumps which include Synassembler (for 400/800) and 2 variations of Synassembler XL.

I don't have the means to make real cartridges but the images work in Atari800.

Tonight I'll try the images in an Atarimax flashcart.

-SteveS

Synassembler_Cartridges.zip

• Like 7

Nir Dary still had dumps of his old cartridges. Sadly the cartridges are lost but here are his dumps which include Synassembler (for 400/800) and 2 variations of Synassembler XL.

I don't have the means to make real cartridges but the images work in Atari800.

Tonight I'll try the images in an Atarimax flashcart.

-SteveS

I'm so happy that this is finally available for download!

Synassembler rocks, and the cart version is amazing.

There is a weird bug in this assembler btw. Perhaps someone can fix that.

when you assemble to a file using the .TF directive, the assembled file is one byte too large. The last byte seems always to be a zero.

Normally this is not an issue, until you are going to merge several objects into one binary.

Will put it on the Wiki. Thank you all so much. Today, a dream come true. Many will follow in the near future. Stand by.

@AtariGeezer & ProWizard

Thank you both very much. :-))) Do you mind to collect the bugs, bring them in the wiki and with the source code, maybe someone can clear them up? Just wishing again...

Can you confirm the md5's:

Synassembler.rom = e5dd9f57ff9b807d52a99869dfbfcc17

Synassembler XL.rom = 7375df1158ad81f52160f417a49ff78e

Synassembler XL blue.rom = f475c22057d68479b94122115c100e2c

with your orignial roms?

Would be cool to know, whether you both have the same cart. :-)))

Thank you very much again and in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have 5 different versions of SYNASM.XEX and I'm not sure which is which. Can someone help identify them?

Here are all the md5's

SYNASM-1.XEX - d34950b1aa12afa01fdde2b9c168569f
SYNASM-2.XEX - 3e0cde527b2f972db0b9ccaab53cdc8d
SYNASM-3.XEX - f3fad581725973386b7f13d7a9485062
SYNASM-4.XEX - d8f5226dfdb159e3ece33abf0910ef7b
SYNASM-5.XEX - 3eb747c811a16b938ae61cd95429738d

SYNASM-1.XEX

SYNASM-2.XEX

SYNASM-3.XEX

SYNASM-4.XEX

SYNASM-5.XEX