IGNORED

BBC Micro Thread

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The master is a great machine but sometimes you have to start small and this is where this comes in,

elec1.jpg

Also easily expanded,

electronPlus_zps54f82151.jpg

Basically a BBC micro without the bells and whistles, it does have what is arguably the best version of BASIC to feature on any early system, it is also one of the least demanding machines in terms of expense when it comes to assembly, no disk unit, memory expansion or additional software is required, assembly is available straight from BASIC and is easily incorporated into BASIC programs.

Graphics resolution is the same as the BBC (maximum 640 x 256), the only minor gripe is that the machine only has one sound channel (which still has full envelope programmability).

The stock unit is also compatible with modern TV's.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I can report that the replacement of the Model B PSU (unknown error, possibly completely shorted) with a modern switching MeanWell PT-65A PSU went well. I had to splice the cables a bit, and some creative solutions to line up the screw holes in the casing with the power board but once I got that sorted, it fits well and stays in place. From the outside, you can't tell the difference.

I thought I had some pics on the process, but alas I don't. Perhaps I'll open it up and take some pics at a later point.

• Like 1

I can report that the replacement of the Model B PSU (unknown error, possibly completely shorted) with a modern switching MeanWell PT-65A PSU went well. I had to splice the cables a bit, and some creative solutions to line up the screw holes in the casing with the power board but once I got that sorted, it fits well and stays in place. From the outside, you can't tell the difference.

I thought I had some pics on the process, but alas I don't. Perhaps I'll open it up and take some pics at a later point.

If it is completely dead I would have to assume that it is not the X2 caps, they are the most prone to blowing over time, the machine usually still works to a degree when these blow.

To be honest, I had replaced the larger of the two X2 caps. Then when I plugged in the cables again, I connected the spades to the wrong positions of the power switch, so basically I think I short circuited the supply with 230VAC... Fortunately the computer didn't take any damage. Possibly the PSU would be possible to fix, but since I had three PT-65A bought at discount, without any particular use for them, I decided to use one in the Beeb.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

<< CHECK IT OUT >>  You say you cannot afford a BBC Micro Computer?  I hear ya, it's not cheap to find one, let alone have it sent across the pond and then get it converted, all before you can even use it.  But what would you say to $5.00 for the 'emulated experience'?  Yup!  For a drop in the bucket price-wise, if you already have a Raspberry Pi you can turn it into an emulated BBC B.  

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is a nice work you are doing, but I don't know what to use it for. Print out on paper one month at a time? I have a wall calendar in the kitchen which I check perhaps twice a month, otherwise I keep good track of the days and have other means to make notes about what I need to get done for a certain date so I don't have to scribble it down on a wall calendar anyway.