Sign in to follow this  
Tursi

VGM Compression Tool

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

So are neither of those real SIDs?  I have a real 6581 in mine.

mine is a real sid.. 6581

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Hey, how do I run this?  E/A?

Yeah, it's an EA#5 file with a TIFILES header.

• Like 1

I was getting a file error trying to run it.  I think it was an incomplete transfer over HDX as after a second copy attempt it worked fine.

I had to noise-reduce the recording as I think my Triple Tech is putting noise into the sound channel, but the volumes of both the SID (6581R4AR) and 9919 are definitely not equal when examined (look at the last two seconds of the Audacity project, which contains the TI's beep,) but that could be more about the volume setting of the SID.  Dunno.

Clipboard02.thumb.png.18b5a4bdd9d16df1c4812a1ddb125153.png

M4A recording:

Tursi Final Takeoff PSG-SID.m4a

Audacity project:

Tursi Final Takeoff PSG-SID (Audacity Project).zip

Cool, thanks! Yeah, there's no reason to expect the two chips to have the same output level. There will be tools for balancing manually, I guess, but I'd also guess few people will use the combination. But I figured I'd provide it.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:17 PM, Tursi said:

That guy is crazy good. He and Rushjet1 need to get into a PSG battle. ;)

(Edit: LaurenX is my fav, though Witch's Den also made me say "damn" out loud. ;) )

Rushjet doesn't have a page of just his PSG tunes, though... I did buy a bunch from him for Super Space Acer though. More of his retro chip tunes are NES, though.

https://rushjet1.com/

I discovered Rushjet through his soundtrack on Rikki and Vikki for 7800.

I also found this recent post from Tomy where he talks about how he generates the instruments on the PSG.  He talks about using VGM Music Maker for windows, but are there any better trackers out there now?

3 hours ago, PeteE said:

I discovered Rushjet through his soundtrack on Rikki and Vikki for 7800.

I also found this recent post from Tomy where he talks about how he generates the instruments on the PSG.  He talks about using VGM Music Maker for windows, but are there any better trackers out there now?

The guy FarmerPotato posted says he's using Shiru's VGM Music Maker, I wonder if that's the same one? I haven't looked at it for many years but I was under the impression it was really good. However it doesn't seem to be on his download page anymore... according to a forum post from 2012:

"Looks like Shiru removed both the VGM Music Maker and TFM Music Maker due to a misunderstanding in a topic and hasn't posted since July.
viewtopic.php?p=16101&highlight=#16101"

People ruin everything. ;) 

• Like 2

On Friday I ran my test suite and discovered that the various tweaks and improvements I'd made had broken pretty much everything, so today I finished an overhaul of the RLE compression and tested on all the songs, finally working again. Most of the bugs were in the test code, which is why it worked, but as the test code got tighter more things were tripped. Anyway, all working now.

I made two small changes to the file format. One probably was obvious but the tools didn't really support it before - you can have an empty stream simply by setting the stream pointer to 0. This means songs that (for instance) don't have a drum beat don't need to waste 4 bytes per second ticking off a silent volume channel. The improvement is small but it's there.

The second was to change the reference of the backref offset. Rather than being an offset from the beginning of the file, it's now an offset from the current file position. This let me remove the need to pass the start of the file around just for this single case, and made the TI code slightly faster to boot (adding a register rather than adding the value at an address ;) ), and let me remove the last piece of code that was tying the "common" code block to a particular player.

I added a sample project showing the SN and SID playing together - Wonder Boy rather than Castlevania, but I don't think I'll take it any further. Same concept would let you run on the ForTI though, if you had a song that needed it. Anyway, it was a bit discordant so I don't think I'll force anyone to run it, but it shows the concept works and it's in the repo. Also a video here:

https://lbry.tv/@tursilion:1/VGMComp-Progress-SN-and-SID:0

• Like 3

And now I've finished a major re-org of the code and I think it's ready to call first release, though maybe beta since nobody but me has used it yet. ;)

First, the SFX player for the TI SN is complete, so it now has feature parity with the old toolchain. Getting SFXs working smoothly required a few little tweaks here and there, as well as in the compressor to make multiple songs work correctly with the new empty streams, but it's all doing the right thing now. I ported the old test app to verify SFX.

With the basic TI functionality in place, I created a linkable library and moved all the example projects into a 'samples' folder. The Makefile for the library will go out and build all the samples as well, and I cleaned up the spare files in each folder to make the example more clear. I also wrote up a quick readme file to document the methods in the library.

All up on github, you'll find the lib here: https://github.com/tursilion/vgmcomp2/tree/master/Players/libtivgm2

Sample programs: https://github.com/tursilion/vgmcomp2/tree/master/Players/Samples

EXEs: https://github.com/tursilion/vgmcomp2/tree/master/dist

Getting there. The TODO list is still long, but really only the ColecoVision player is a big one, the rest should overwhelm me merely with numbers. ;)

• Like 2