IGNORED

The Atari joystick Pinout Common Ground.

Grevle

The Atari Joystick Pinout seems pretty simple, Pin 8 is the ground.So that is the common ground then ? and the pins for joystick movement and the button then are the + connections that share this commong ground ? Can anyone confirm that this is the way the Atari pinout works. Pin 7 is +5v, is that for powering the joystick circuit ?

post-32232-0-25905600-1400246916.gif

Edited by GentleBaron

Yes, common ground. The 5V supply was for running paddles and the touch tablet. Since this is a circuit board trace and Atari power supplies are exactly over kill, limit should be ~200 mamp before tragedy strikes.

The paddle inputs are charge pump<?> timers which count the time it takes for the paddle to change logic levels. Something like a voltage input of .8V would probably never trigger them. How it is done is the 5V is fed into one side of a pot/variable resistor and the wiper feed to the paddle pin. I've seen paddles in the 1 meg Ohm to 100k Ohm range.

Directionals are held at "1" value by pullup resistors, grounding each switch returns it to a "0" value. Same applies to joystick button.

+5 V should never be connected directly to GND and not normally used by joysticks, although used by some autofire circuits.

Some joysticks actually operate by using the +5V (some Sega) and shouldn't really be used with Atari or Commodore gear.

+5 V used by paddle rotary - the Pot reducing that voltage which is returned on the paddle inputs to the computer.

Paddle value determined by how long it takes to charge a capacitor to a threshold level.

Paddle buttons equate to joystick left/right values.

• Like 1

The four joystick directional pins can be either read or write. There are plans in the wild for connecting two computers via a custom joystick cable.

Joystick ports have also been used for the CX-85 numeric keypad, modems(MPP/Supra/Anchor Automation) and a hard drive interface(Corvus)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The Atari Joystick Pinout seems pretty simple, Pin 8 is the ground.So that is the common ground then ? and the pins for joystick movement and the button then are the + connections that share this commong ground ? Can anyone confirm that this is the way the Atari pinout works. Pin 7 is +5v, is that for powering the joystick circuit ?

attachicon.gifjoystick.gif

I am rebuilding a CX-40 with bad female connectors. I got cheap sage controllers to replace the cables. But the saga wire colors do not match the Atari wire colors. I see here the pinout for the female end of the cable but I can't find the matching side on the Atari PCB by pin number only by wire color. Can someone point me to a link that has a pic of the cx40 PCB that has matching pinout numbers? edit: the PCB with the connectors all on the right side

Many thanks

Edited by KLund1