IGNORED

Official Announcement: Archon for the ColecoVision

AtariBuff

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Archon is one of the original classic EA games. I'd LOVE for someone to bring MULE over too. And Star Raiders... But that's another post entirely. :)

+1

M.U.L.E. was awesome! It's funny looking back now at EA's early days... there were such a great company with an artist-first mentality. It's amazing that they're still around after all this time, but wow how times have changed, huh?

But I digress... bring on the CV Archon! :-D :-D :-D

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Archon is one of the original classic EA games. I'd LOVE for someone to bring MULE over too. And Star Raiders... But that's another post entirely. :)

M.U.L.E is on my To-do list ;)

And I would love to do a game like Star Raiders on the CV (it would make good use of the CV controller keypad, for one thing) although I would probably steer more towards the Starpath game "Phaser Patrol" because it's the same kind of game but the space battles seem a little more intense. :)

• Like 1

And I would love to do a game like Star Raiders on the CV (it would make good use of the CV controller keypad, for one thing) although I would probably steer more towards the Starpath game "Phaser Patrol" because it's the same kind of game but the space battles seem a little more intense. :)

I'm surprised nothing like Star Raiders or Phaser Patrol never was done for the CV. The Inty got Space Spartans, and the 2600 got Star Master, Star Voyager and... I guess some would call it Star Raiders... The 5200 showed how the controller could work.

I'm surprised nothing like Star Raiders or Phaser Patrol never was done for the CV. The Inty got Space Spartans, and the 2600 got Star Master, Star Voyager and... I guess some would call it Star Raiders... The 5200 showed how the controller could work.

Star Raiders actually slows down on the Atari during explosions and the CPU has direct access to video RAM.
Some form of the game is certainly possible but I would expect a few corners to be cut on the visuals.

M.U.L.E. would be alright but it would have to be a 2 player game on Colecovision. On the Adam two players could share the keyboard I suppose.

Archon doesn't a lot of sprites moving at a given moment so it shouldn't be too difficult.
The biggest issue would be matching the AI of a 6502 version which was slightly different from one machine to the next anyway from what I understand.

Thanks for all the kind appreciation of my choice in bringing Archon to the CV - now I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes this game :-D I spent(d) many hours in playing this game and as far as I can remember back, nobody actually did beat me yet. Would be a cool network game. Now if there would be some kind of hardware for the ColecoVision...

I will set up an interest list for all you early adopters, but you do know that we are talking about a possible 2015 release, don't you? :P

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind appreciation of my choice in bringing Archon to the CV - now I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes this game :-D I spent(d) many hours in playing this game and as far as I can remember back, nobody actually did beat me yet. Would be a cool network game. Now if there would be some kind of hardware for the ColecoVision...

I will set up an interest list for all you early adopters, but you do know that we are talking about a possible 2015 release, don't you? :P

On what version did you play? Atari , C64 or else?

I used to play with a good friend . And the funny thing is that he always beat me on the C64 version and i always beat him on the Atari XL version!. :)

on DOS version , sometimes it was me , sometimes him.

• 3 months later...

There are 36 characters on the screen with 2 colours each but only 2 of these are animating at any one time and the rest can be just tiles.

and the battle scene the characters are 1 colour plus 1 projectile each so it won't break the 4 sprites per line rule.

There are couple of exceptions from that rule, the phoenix and ghost like flying creature. They don´t shoot projectiles, but the first one makes a big fireball around itself and the ghost makes a big blue force field looking thing. On Commodore 64 those were easily made using magnified sprite, I think Atari did the same.

In talks with Jon Freeman about the official license for Archon on the ColecoVision. :thumbsup:

More news as they happen.

Please kindly ask a permission for the possible later MSX conversion too! ;) *hint*

• 8 months later...