IGNORED

Which P.O.S. TI cartridge would you sacrifice?

Omega-TI

I'd scrap my extra 'Household Budget Management' cart.

Same here. I have no idea why the idea of sacrificing wonderful games like Parsec (or the charming Hunt the Wumpus) would even come up when we have the option of repurposing HBM! At least the educational games can be played with tolerant kids, but the financial software has no reason to exist anymore.

• Like 1

Ha, I remember that video -- it's a funny one. :D

As for my avatar, it's from a Korean bootleg port of Super Mario Bros. for the MSX and SMS, called Super Boy I. (Huh, since it uses the TMS9918 video modes, I wonder if it could be ported to the TI-99? That'd probably be an extremely difficult task for little reward, though...)

Anyway, instead of "Thank You Mario! But Our Princess is in Another Castle!", you just get "SORRY NOTHING".

As for my avatar, it's from a Korean bootleg port of Super Mario Bros. for the MSX and SMS, called Super Boy I. (Huh, since it uses the TMS9918 video modes, I wonder if it could be ported to the TI-99? That'd probably be an extremely difficult task for little reward, though...)

Eeeeeenteresting... is this an MSX with 9918, or an MSX2 with the 9938 (and 512k)?

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but Super Mario on the TI would be pretty cool - far from 'little reward'. In fact with F18A enhanced TIs, it could be even cooler. Maybe do like what Rasmus has been doing for his games and have an F18A scan so that I can run on both kinds of consoles :).

Eeeeeenteresting... is this an MSX with 9918, or an MSX2 with the 9938 (and 512k)?

MSX1, so with 9918 and 16k VRAM. I think everything you see there is perfectly doable on the TI. The video you posted shows per-character scrolling, and of course there are those typical 9918 colors. If this were v9938 based, you'd have better colors, smoother scrolling and flickering screen edges :).

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but Super Mario on the TI would be pretty cool - far from 'little reward'. In fact with F18A enhanced TIs, it could be even cooler. Maybe do like what Rasmus has been doing for his games and have an F18A scan so that I can run on both kinds of consoles :).

Super Mario would be very cool! But Super Boy I, um...let's just say you should try playing it sometime. :D It's definitely a "SORRY NOTHING" experience when it comes to play control.

And yeah, the game uses the standard TMS9918 palette and capabilities, though when it's played on the Sega Master System it looks darker because of a bug in that system's TMS9918 support. Some games actually took advantage of that bug, or at least were programmed to take it into account.

• Like 1

As a graphical exercise it was great but the collision detection was really bad.

As a game player, I was REALLY hoping for a TI version of the 2600 Demon Attack. That game is awesome and I play it often on my TouchPad in 2600Emu.