IGNORED

Princess Quest for Intellivision

• 2 weeks later...

Just came to my knowledge that Princess Quest was demo'ed at CGE :)

Well not "officially". :) a few of us saw it and got to play it and it looks and plays fantastic Oscar, but holy crap is it hard! :) as soon as you start they start swarming you. I'd like to see a bit more of a difficulty build up. It felt like it started on "hard" mode. Just my two cents.

I will also say that we've never seen anything like this on the Inty before and I'm very happy that you've chosen to program for our awesome system. I can't wait to see what other great games we'll see from you in the future.

• Like 1

Well not "officially". :) a few of us saw it and got to play it and it looks and plays fantastic Oscar, but holy crap is it hard! :) as soon as you start they start swarming you. I'd like to see a bit more of a difficulty build up. It felt like it started on "hard" mode. Just my two cents.

Cool! I made it arcade-style, after a few attempts, you'll see it will become easier for your hands.

I will also say that we've never seen anything like this on the Inty before and I'm very happy that you've chosen to program for our awesome system. I can't wait to see what other great games we'll see from you in the future.

Thanks! :)

Too much swarm and very overwhelming right out of the gate. Hard to tell how you are getting damaged or what you are shooting down.

Please slow it down a little bit for the early levels. Please!

• Like 1

I got a brief chance to play it. It is a fast playing game and that is a good thing. Other than Worm Whomper, there aren't many Intellivision games that achieve such speeds. Also, scrolling platformers for the Intellivision are very rare. Nice job. I look forward to my copy.

BTW, give thanks also to GroovyBee, he taught me some lessons on Intellivision code optimization :)

• Like 1

Too much swarm and very overwhelming right out of the gate. Hard to tell how you are getting damaged or what you are shooting down.

Please slow it down a little bit for the early levels. Please!

Don't worry!

The six beta testers also had trouble at start but after some practice they got the "trick" :)

Well, here is the first video of Princess Quest running over an Intellivision console :)

Video recording courtesy of ed1475.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSdj3_t9Xfg

I heard that this was demoed at CGE. I was there, but I regret that I missed it. Ah well... I guess I spent too much time on other things.

From the video, the game reminds me a lot of Castlevania, one of my faves for the NES. I look forward to seeing more!

• Like 2

I find it ironic that people are complaining that the Intellivision is too fast for once :)

It's not the actual speed that's too fast (I love the speed and hope the cart version retains it). It's the learning curve. You're instantly swarmed with bad guys that relentlessly keep swarming; however, you can take a lot of hits before dying. If you try to fight them all you don't progress.

Oscar mentioned that there's a trick that most will quickly learn. I'm guessing you just learn the map and shoot only certain monsters as they appear while avoiding others.

• Like 1

Looking at how the coleco version and this one looks, i think this one looks fantastic. You made this game look great on the inty but maintained the retro look. If i had both versions i probably would play this one more because of its retro look. This looks good enough to be a coleco game from back in the day. It amazes me what people can do programming for old systems these days. People now days dont just program crap for a quick money grab.

• Like 1

If a Princess gets swarmed in space and nobody is around to hear her, does she scream? Or moan?

I'm thinking I should make a very special expensive collectable edition just for Rev and save2600 where the knight runs without armor and the princess doesn't have dress... :P

• Like 2

BTW, I'm waiting with great expectation the final artwork developed by Collectorvision based on the original drawing of the Colecovision box.

And although I've said it before, 5-11under has now a working PCB that will be used in Princess Quest :) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229766-the-cge-exclusive-intv-game-blix-is-limited-to-30-copies/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3073257

Stay tuned! :)

• Like 1

BTW, I'm waiting with great expectation the final artwork developed by Collectorvision based on the original drawing of the Colecovision box.

And although I've said it before, 5-11under has now a working PCB that will be used in Princess Quest :) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229766-the-cge-exclusive-intv-game-blix-is-limited-to-30-copies/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3073257

Stay tuned! :)

My Blix Cart does not have a beveled card edge. I hope future boards do.

It's not the actual speed that's too fast (I love the speed and hope the cart version retains it). It's the learning curve. You're instantly swarmed with bad guys that relentlessly keep swarming; however, you can take a lot of hits before dying. If you try to fight them all you don't progress.

Oscar mentioned that there's a trick that most will quickly learn. I'm guessing you just learn the map and shoot only certain monsters as they appear while avoiding others.

My bad! And thank you Jason for the explanation I think I panicked with all the relentless attacking and didn't pay attention to all the details!

The graphics look great and when I get the game I will certainly climb and run faster! ;)