IGNORED

Matterhorn tiger vision very rare for sale

matt535

You misunderstand; its not so much a "Pollyanna attitude" as it is not wanting to be jaded/hateful about something that is supposed to be a FUN pursuit. :) Its rather like a woman being done-wrong by a German guy in her past, and thus despising ALL Germans from then on....pretty ignorant/fearful-minded, eh? If by not pouncing on anything/one that might be new/strange as a fearful rat might scamper from a flashlight, I guess you should call me 'Polly' :P

Not sure what you mean by "Oh please, don't be one of those people.", though. (?)

Politics/opinions aside, it does seem that this Matterhorn game is quite sought-after! Great grab!

Then that is your choice, asking for some references / feedback / selling history from a potential seller new to the community is not being rude/distrustful/paranoid/ignorant/fearful etc, IT IS COMMON SENSE. You make it sound like unreasonable demands or a Crucifixion is taking place but in fact when those new people are asked for such things and the reason WHY they are asked the majority of legit / honest people "get it" and are only to happy to comply to such requests. You might be surprised to know that as it turns out at least half (I am being generous here) get defensive, mad, start name calling and shouting foul only to be exposed for the intended scammers, thieves etc, that they are. Sorry if you think there is something wrong with weeding out those who come here for the sole purpose of ripping off members of this forum.

Yes, in a perfect world we would welcome all no questions asked with open arms and send big payments their way and the transactions would go smooth as silk with everyone satisfied all around. Sadly, that is NOT the reality, so taking precautions is not only advised, it's common sense. BUT BY ALL MEANS PLEASE, feel free to welcome and purchase pricey items from every newcomer no questions asked, just don't come complaining back here when you get screwed lol.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

UPDATE: What would it take to be more convincing in a situation like this? Pictures of the board? Some sort of VGA rating?

I think pictures of the carts are more than enough really as long as there's something that identifies them as being unique and not ripped from a site. I don't think asking people to rip open rare games for inspection is reasonable.

• Like 4

UPDATE: What would it take to be more convincing in a situation like this? Pictures of the board? Some sort of VGA rating?

Honestly, I think the biggest bone of contention here is the "new member/rare item" combo. It really pays to introduce yourself for a moment, when you are hoping to make a ton of money off of a bunch of strangers. Additionally, photos of the item, video footage (which the seller ultimately provided) and references/feedback all help avoid the initial skepticism.

• Like 2

Then that is your choice, asking for some references / feedback / selling history from a potential seller new to the community is not being rude/distrustful/paranoid/ignorant/fearful etc, IT IS COMMON SENSE. You make it sound like unreasonable demands or a Crucifixion is taking place but in fact when those new people are asked for such things and the reason WHY they are asked the majority of legit / honest people "get it" and are only to happy to comply to such requests. You might be surprised to know that as it turns out at least half (I am being generous here) get defensive, mad, start name calling and shouting foul only to be exposed for the intended scammers, thieves etc, that they are. Sorry if you think there is something wrong with weeding out those who come here for the sole purpose of ripping off members of this forum.

Yes, in a perfect world we would welcome all no questions asked with open arms and send big payments their way and the transactions would go smooth as silk with everyone satisfied all around. Sadly, that is NOT the reality, so taking precautions is not only advised, it's common sense. BUT BY ALL MEANS PLEASE, feel free to welcome and purchase pricey items from every newcomer no questions asked, just don't come complaining back here when you get screwed lol.

What you are missing here, though, is that POLITE question asking is vastly different than being smarmy, negative, or posting rude gifs. ;) You seem to be having trouble with this concept, so let me give examples, eh?

"Hi, I'm new at this diner, could you tell me the daily specials, please?"

Reply: "SIGH....eyeroll....what, you can't READ the sign, DUH!!" See the difference, or? Honey/vinegar/flies, yep.

But Benny, pouncing/being rude and disrespectful BEFORE someone even has the chance to upload pics? Agian, not everyone is part of the 'internet world', probably best to be kindly and decent at FIRST, imho. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt before I have them labeled as theives. :thumbsup:

Tempest - Yeah, I had a couple folks ask me to dig into the PAL carts I found recently...not keen on that idea. (Also asked to "rip" them, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that mess....)

Edited by Bald_Bull_jr

But Benny, pouncing/being rude and disrespectful BEFORE someone even has the chance to upload pics? Agian, not everyone is part of the 'internet world', probably best to be kindly and decent at FIRST, imho. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt before I have them labeled as theives. :thumbsup:

I think a lot of it comes down to common sense...which seems to be completely lost on the 1st time poster "f/s threads". These threads can be seen/interpreted in a number of ways:

1.) They have no idea how to properly sell on an internet forum. (see my earlier post...in this case, an introduction would go a LONG way)

2.) They know that they have something you all want, so they are going to be lazy/shady, as it will sell regardless. If not, they can punt it to eBay.

3.) They are a scammer. Scammers tend to give very little information, and then simply wait. They are waiting for someone who desperately wants the item...badly enough to take a serious risk.

4.) They post a brief introduction of some sort, pics of the items for sale, feedback/references, etc. If all questions and PM's get answered promptly, this type of seller will be commended for being both respectful of our community, as well as an asset...regardless of if they decide to stick around or part ways after the sale.

Yes, the OP did eventually post a video here, but no feedback or references to speak of. Plus, it punted to eBay immediately. Still, it is a first post f/s thread, offering what amounts to an 8-bit holy grail. Skepticism should be expected for certain. You said it correctly earlier...we are a community of gamers, first and foremost. We are very welcoming for the most part, but if you show up and don't even so much as say "HI", before trying to sell a game that is worth several hundreds of dollars, folks around here might get a bit uneasy. You see, we are a community of gamers, first and foremost. On the other side of the coin, this means protecting our own from scammers and other fly-by-nights, who will leave as soon as they collect their bounty. Sad but true.

It is a double edged sword though...we all want folks to bring their retro gaming treasures here to sell. No doubt about it. The problem is, this type of "open arms - welcome mat" invites all types of internet thieves and scammers as well. We must be vigilant, with some form of vetting process, or countless ACTUAL members of our community will end up singing the blues about their troubles in the Bad Trader's Thread. Surely, nobody here wants that either. It is a fine line to balance on...truthfully, if you had ever gotten burned for close to $1,000 or more on a shady deal, you probably would be much less gung-ho about the whole "benefit of the doubt" policy...just sayin.

• Like 1

"It is a double edged sword though...we all want folks to bring their retro gaming treasures here to sell. No doubt about it. The problem is, this type of "open arms - welcome mat" invites all types of internet thieves and scammers as well. " I agree with this, sure. Although you can still maintain an 'open arms policy' withOUT the nastiness and rhetoric, its all in the matter of how you view things, I suppose.

Burned for $1000? Yikes...I cannot ever forsee that happening....as you said, "common sense" and all.

I didn't realize that folks here being ripped-off was such a widespread issue, honestly. As I said, it sure has happened to me, but not in ages. (Life experience/wising-up/street smarts, I suppose. :thumbsup: )

I didn't realize that folks here being ripped-off was such a widespread issue, honestly. As I said, it sure has happened to me, but not in ages. (Life experience/wising-up/street smarts, I suppose. :thumbsup: )

It's more of a problem with certain systems and games. The NES and Neo Geo communities for example are really hit hard by it.

You probably don't hear a lot about it because many times people are ashamed they got scammed and don't post anything or just figure there's nothing they can do and either move on or leave the community.

Burned for $1000? Yikes...I cannot ever forsee that happening....as you said, "common sense" and all.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/87198-bad-trader-alert/?hl=%20bad%20%20trader

It happens a whole lot here at AA. It happens every day on eBay as well. Welcome to the internet...it is full of opportunities for scammers.

PS: how exactly would YOU go about buying this guy's game??? (common sense and all) :roll:

• Like 1

You misunderstand; its not so much a "Pollyanna attitude" as it is not wanting to be jaded/hateful about something that is supposed to be a FUN pursuit. :) Its rather like a woman being done-wrong by a German guy in her past, and thus despising ALL Germans from then on....pretty ignorant/fearful-minded, eh? If by not pouncing on anything/one that might be new/strange as a fearful rat might scamper from a flashlight, I guess you should call me 'Polly' :P

Joe Santulli, owner of Digital Press banned the whole of Belgium once because of one.

• Like 1

Wow, insane...tsk tsk tsk.... (Cpuwiz/"lot more than that") Very angering. As for aking who the person was, don't care, I'd actually feel better about not knowing. :(

In my case, it was years pre-internet, and was a local person....I was able to go right to his home and give him a ten minute 'lesson', in his front yard, as to WHY people should not behave like thieving scumbags.

How would I buy that guy's game, Benny? Thats easy enough - I wouldn't. ;) Paying hundreds of dollars for a cart/disc strikes me as borderline madness. (But to each his own - its YOUR bread!)

I am a game player/enjoyer before a collector, these days. I was fairly 'hardcore' through my teens and into my ealry-30s, but that was then; I'd rather ENJOY games, these days, than worry about what 'vessels' they come to me in. :) (IE: we ain't gonna live forever.)

"But yes, it could've done a bit more friendly, and without those stupid 4chan gifs" Exactly, finally! heh This is my meaning, always was. If a person doesn't even KNOW the language/customs of a foreign land, how can he be chastized/ridiculed/etc. for not COMPLYING with them?

How would I buy that guy's game, Benny? Thats easy enough - I wouldn't. ;) Paying hundreds of dollars for a cart/disc strikes me as borderline madness. (But to each his own - its YOUR bread!)

Ok...so now I am really confused. Based on your statement above, you are not even considering the purchase of this, or any other rare games. So, I guess what I am getting at is...

Q: If you don't currently have any chips in the game, why are you currently the loudest and most vocal guy currently at the black jack table???

A ton of us ARE collectors. It is our hobby. Other folks like fast cars, others like boats, some are in to expensive jewelry or antique guns. We happen to like video games from our past...and yes, like all the other hobbies I mentioned previously, it can get expensive. We protect our own here, and yes, some of us do buy expensive games...upwards and sometimes beyond $1000, which IMHO is all the more reason to be protective.

Regardless, I wouldn't want any of the regulars here to even get burned for $1. No matter what, no one deserves that. If we can keep out the riff raff, then no member will have to suffer. That is all I am concerned about personally.

• Like 3

Why am I the "loudest and most vocal", thats simple - "Regardless, I wouldn't want any of the regulars here to even get burned for $1. No matter what, no one deserves that." I feel the same way as you, Benny, I just happen to not condone the various 'methods' used by some here. :) Rather not chance shooting an INNOCENT man in the process of trying to shoot the REAL criminal, if this makes sense to you?

Just because I choose to not spend my money on $1000 games doesn't mean I somehow ENJOY seeing folks get ripped-off.

Also, I AM a collector, of many things, just not things that many of you guys here would care about. :)

But yes, it could've done a bit more friendly, and without those stupid 4chan gifs, wasn't that just a fad way back?

Besides that, Matterhorn a nice side scroller indeed.

Agree with high here about the fact this could have been done in more of a friendly value. Totally agree about the need for caution, please provide pics/references, asking for additional info, we don't want anyone burned, etc. But sometimes I think people here are too quick to jump to conclusions and come right out with torches and pitchforks.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with people coming to the community with no other purpose then to sell a rare game, I for one encourage it. The problem is, in the end they usually have no intention of the community getting it anyways and just want to confirm interest in their find before they put it on eBay.

Oh, and I don't care who you are or what you collect if you find something that is rare and you know nothing about it, you post a damn pic before any serious chit chat. This crap would never fly on the Precious Moments forums, oh, you have a first edition "he careth for you"? Pics or hit the road grandma...

• Like 2

Oh, and I don't care who you are or what you collect if you find something that is rare and you know nothing about it, you post a damn pic before any serious chit chat. This crap would never fly on the Precious Moments forums, oh, you have a first edition "he careth for you"? Pics or hit the road grandma...

You would appear to know way too much about Precious Moments. :)
  • Like 2

Morning Guys

Clearly from reading the thread some of you understand why I am a little bit annoyed. I have no interest in vintage gaming personally so I don't have any references. I have provided a youtube video stating my username and playing the game am not sure what more I can do apart from put some pictures up which I have now attached.

As some of you have said this is a marketplace so I am looking to sell the game not get smart arse remark whilst I understand you all have to be careful I don't welcome this abuse. I am registered on a karting forum in the uk and there is one user than does nothing but argue with people and posts his smart arse remarks when people ask questions. guess what people now stop posting on the forum because they are feed up with it. Its does make thins site look very welcoming.

I want to sell the game so if anyone is interested please do let me know. I have just sold hypnotic land and the buyer seems very happy

Out of interest - doesn't PayPal protect buyers - irrespective of whether they purchase an item through ebay or a private dealing?

A few years ago I bought an item from Asia initially from correspondence in an online forum and then the deal struck through emails. The item never arrived and the seller couldn't provide a tracking number. I opened a dispute with PayPal and it was awarded in my favour and I received a full refund. It was $80 plus postage.

So, in this respect, if you are going to buy something from a newbie - isn't it safe enough if you just make sure to pay with PayPal ? (And make sure not to pay through the 'gift' method)