IGNORED

Atari 800xe has died

blacka013

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Atari 800xe from ebay which is heavily modded. I came to use it this morning and would not boot up, the only life showing was the power led.

It is modded with the following:-

1. 512K Memory Expansion
2. A second Pokey chip enables real stereo sound
3. Error Free GTIA Graphics controller
4. Serial(Com) SIO2PC Interface connection
5. Operating System switch
6. Memory Select switch

I have checked all the external connections and then substituted my old 800xl which worked.

I have been back to the seller, suggested checking the connections, then asked if I knew anybody who was good with computers.

Can anyone give me some advice fixing it please?

Regards

I have checked all the socketed chips are seated correctly, looked for any obvious signs but can't see any. The memory chips are MT 4067-12. The screen when powered up remains black with a no signal present showing on the TV, input selected correctly. I would have included a photo of the motherboard, but not sure how to insert it into the text.

Regards

Hi Rybags and Keatah,

have followed your advice, still no joy.

I then remembered my multimeter has a frequency selection, I tried this on my 800xl and the crystals are showing just under 4 MHz.

I unplugged the upgrades from the 800xe motherboard and then tried this and I only get 23 KHz at best, so there is something definitely wrong in this area.

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Oh, can you explain how to upload images to the forum so you can see the board as I still can't get this to work?

Regards

Check your CO61618 IC. It's the 20-pin one just below the cart port. I just fixed one with a similar issue. It also had the MT ram. All 8 had to be replaced as they ran too hot to touch.

That IC had me stumped until I used substitution with IC's from one of my 600xls

Edited by zylon

• 2 weeks later...