IGNORED

PS2 Slim scratched a dozen of PS1/2 games

Hi there,

I'm close to crying. I just found out that the ribbon attached to the laser-sled of my slim PS2 ruined a lot of my game discs - just checking my PS1/2 Capcom games so far I found that over a dozen have those characteristic rings carved in :_(

Not my picture, but they all look like this:
3060000000055738.jpg

I have no idea since when it's been doing that, I only just figured it out when my copy of Rival Schools stopped working.

Greetings,
Manuel

That stinks, I stopped using a slim and went back to the original years ago mainly for modding and cheats and stuff.

There's some info out there on what may be causing it, here's one persons fix:

I actually fixed a scratched disc once by using toothpaste. That trick actually worked for me. Not sure how long it will stay fixed but its still working fine.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

There's some info out there on what may be causing it, here's one persons fix:

Hm... that might work for a while, but it doesn't look very reliable to me. I think I'd better start looking for another PS2 model on flea markets. Either a fatty other a later revision should do the trick from what I'm reading across the net. I wasn't happy with mine anyway, since it couldn't read double layer discs like God of War either :ponder:

I actually fixed a scratched disc once by using toothpaste. That trick actually worked for me. Not sure how long it will stay fixed but its still working fine.

I just tried that with the Rival Schools disc. It looks slightly better now, but still doesn't work in my old PS1 which I just set up. Of course I don't know if it would've worked there before the PS2 ruined it. I think I'll try the disc repair service of a local games store on Wednesday. If this isn't too expensive and fixes Rival Schools I can let them work their magic on all damaged discs. Some hope... :)

Well hopefully you get back up and running....I've gone back to a fat PS2 since I recently got it modded, I can now play some import Shinobido. :P

I'm looking into getting a hardrive too so I can dump my games on it. My CD tray is making a grinding noise every time the tray opens.

I've had the two Rival School discs polished up in a special machine from the local dealer as mentioned above and the surface looks as mint and shiny as a factory sealed copy now. I'll test it in my PSOne later, but I'm positive it'll work again. Not quite cheap the process (3 Euro per disc), but it's certainly cheaper than replacing the entire games.