IGNORED

New TV show - Halt and Catch Fire

Rybags

Joe's total randomness and unpredictability is the only thing really keeping the show together.
There is a bit of "now what the hell is he going to do" to the show.
Just when you think he might actually be human... oh hell no. He takes asshole to a new level.

• Like 1

Joe's total randomness and unpredictability is the only thing really keeping the show together.

There is a bit of "now what the hell is he going to do" to the show.

Just when you think he might actually be human... oh hell no. He takes asshole to a new level.

Seriously!

I do see the splits into different plot lines as being good. We've got the women starting to do their thing, Gordon just looking for trouble now that he's got some cash, and Boz got out of jail. Joe is the root of that, but now that it's kicking off, we may well see more that carries it better.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw an Atari box in the last one, and I think there was an ST in the background (what year is the show again?) I don't know... shows like that really irritate me usually. My brain starts to hurt from screaming BS! at the top of my lungs for most of an hour. But I've only seen two episodes so I'll refrain from being too judgmental.

... at least until I catch up on all the other episodes.

I don't know... shows like that really irritate me usually. My brain starts to hurt from screaming BS! at the top of my lungs for most of an hour. But I've only seen two episodes so I'll refrain from being too judgmental.

... at least until I catch up on all the other episodes.

Wait until you get to Episode 3. What's wrong with THIS picture?

post-25357-0-42543900-1434427132_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading this thread tells me why I could not watch this series, if you are going to base it in certain years with hooks out to the computer side and its more technical issues then at least get the hardware and its usage right, Using versions of languages that were not current for 5yrs+ after, bolting together hardware that would not work or having products that were not made in that timescale just scream annoyance to me.

Knowing that the show will appeal to a certain set of people almost instantly you would have thought they would be more meticulous on detail since the people viewing straight away would be the very crowd who would notice it.

I understand its certainly not treating the computer literate people as daft but has to appeal to a more wide scale viewing population but for that little extra it would have been worth it.

At least its not to the standard of The Net, that awful film with Sandra Bullock...Had she done the film naked then as a man I'd have to revise my opinion of that picture :)

Just reading this thread tells me why I could not watch this series, if you are going to base it in certain years with hooks out to the computer side and its more technical issues then at least get the hardware and its usage right, Using versions of languages that were not current for 5yrs+ after, bolting together hardware that would not work or having products that were not made in that timescale just scream annoyance to me.

It's fantasy involving fictional characters and fictional companies. It's not meant to be a documentary, it's meant to be fun. I quite enjoy it because I don't get anal about the details. I mean when I watch say NCIS or Alias or a Star Trek series I don't go "yup, no, that's not real, that's not real, that's definitely not real, oh that's so fake" I go "oh hey that's fun". I don't watch Back to the Future 2 and go "oh no way, it's past that year and we don't have that, this is so fake!". Watch, enjoy, don't be critical.

• Like 1

Whilst true its based around an industry that I have some understanding of so cock ups are annoying but not unbareable, attn to some small detail would sell it better but its hardly the end of the world, its not my cup of tea by the sound of it so all this is just opinion so don't be so critical of me being critical :)

And the NCIS analogy I could go for but Star Trek and Back to the Future??

Hardly based on known recent tech are they :)

Anyway, relax Mr Mercer, its just silly opinions :)

Unrealistic? Here's unrealistic for you. You're a computer nerd in 1985. You're about to have sex... with a girl.... who's not ugly!!!. Your friends totally mess it up for you... on purpose... You don't punch any of them right in the nose.....

• Like 1

You know, I think I love it so much becasue... the house I live in NOW is full of 1702 monitors just like the business house, they have that yellow toilet at their live-at house and I have the EXACT same toilet (and bathtub) but in blue at our house, our dining room and family room has vintage shag and wood panelling, our stove is from the late 50's/early 60's... so the innacuracies don't really bother me because you walk into my house and it's a clash of things from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's with the bulk of the items in the house being from the 60's-late 80's. Then you have things like my phone's ringtone being the dialup handshake that I recorded to use as a ringtone and I have my Amazon Echo sitting ontop of a 1702 right next to one of my 800xl's and a stack of 1050's with my latest gen iPad air sitting on another 1702 monitor heh.

Edited by ryanmercer
  • Like 1

You have the handshake tone as a ring tone?

Young man, that's one step too far!!

Oh, slightly OT, has any other Brits noticed that I think its Tesco or Was it Sainsburys or Morrisons whose receipt printers seem to make the same noise as a dialup hand shake..

When I first heard it I thought eh?

Then it was coming from all the tills, it was nice to hear once as a retro moment but all day every day...No ta...Had enough of it in the day..

Has anyone caught National Geographic's American Geniuses? The Gates vs. Jobs episode was not very well researched, and even had a few cringe worthy moments. Because of all they got wrong I haven't wanted to watch the other episodes, such as Edison vs. Tesla.

Now that you mentioned Edison vs Tesla, I have to watch that one to see how they tell the story. History has finally proven Tesla right, but I still can remember from school years ago that "Edison is the father of electricity." B.S.! Edison couldn't possibly imagine even a fraction of what Tesla's brain was capable of.

/rant off

• Like 2

You know, I think I love it so much becasue... the house I live in NOW is full of 1702 monitors just like the business house, they have that yellow toilet at their live-at house and I have the EXACT same toilet (and bathtub) but in blue at our house, our dining room and family room has vintage shag and wood panelling, our stove is from the late 50's/early 60's... so the innacuracies don't really bother me because you walk into my house and it's a clash of things from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's with the bulk of the items in the house being from the 60's-late 80's. Then you have things like my phone's ringtone being the dialup handshake that I recorded to use as a ringtone and I have my Amazon Echo sitting ontop of a 1702 right next to one of my 800xl's and a stack of 1050's with my latest gen iPad air sitting on another 1702 monitor heh.

It's a good job I don't know your exact address ;-) or it would be "Heist and Catch Fire"

• Like 1