IGNORED

New TV show - Halt and Catch Fire

Rybags

Now that you mentioned Edison vs Tesla, I have to watch that one to see how they tell the story. History has finally proven Tesla right, but I still can remember from school years ago that "Edison is the father of electricity." B.S.! Edison couldn't possibly imagine even a fraction of what Tesla's brain was capable of.

/rant off

Like an obsession with the number 3, hating pearls and wanting to marry a pigeon?
  • Like 1

Has anyone caught National Geographic's American Geniuses? The Gates vs. Jobs episode was not very well researched, and even had a few cringe worthy moments. Because of all they got wrong I haven't wanted to watch the other episodes, such as Edison vs. Tesla.

These guys do a pretty good Jobs vs Gates, too...

Edited by adam242
  • Like 2

They are really pandering to the modern audience this season with little nuggets of stuff that are supposed to be a revelation, but are actually just there to keep the youglings watching. The meaningless nod to Nintendo, the constant use of the term "online" which I don't remember being popular or meaningful at all. The protagonists' transparent experiences that lead to FPS gaming, and in the latest episode, they drop Unix on us and claim that these stinky nerds have stumbled onto . . . <tada> BROADBAND!

It is still a fun show, but these little overly obvious references to things that people now will recognize are weaknesses that disrupt the flow of the show. Most of this tech candy just doesn't need to be there at all.

Ha! I've got an 1802 coming soon, don't know if it works but excited to find out. I really need to stop buying stuff.

I have a couple dead 1084 monitors that need work. I don't know anyone who can fix them around here, and noone wants to buy a dead unit with the crazy shipping.

Nice doorstops :D

I have a couple dead 1084 monitors that need work. I don't know anyone who can fix them around here, and noone wants to buy a dead unit with the crazy shipping.

Nice doorstops :D

There are TV repair places all over the.. lower income parts of Indy, there is one not far from me on w 10th and another on tibbs around 18th or 20th or so. You could do it yourself but there is some seriously high voltage stuff in tv's and crt monitors that'll zap you dead. I'd still take the cases off and just eyeball them, if a pcb is broken I'd just keep them for spare parts, but if no pcb is broken I'd take one to a tv repair place. One of my PVM's I bought on here the PCB split completely across so I've kept it for parts for my identical PVM that works ha!

I see many similarities between Halt and Catch Fire and Mad Men. Both are period dramas focused on setting and characters. Both have off the rails "leaders." Both have under-appreciated hard working "creatives" behind the scenes. Facts and reality are creatively sprinkled around to create a "feel," legitimize, and draw in viewers with recognition: Hey, I recognize (insert brand here ex. Lucky Strike, IBM, etc.).

I prefer docu-dramas like Pirates of Silicon Valley and Micro Men, but I still enjoy these period soap operas because of the finely crafted setting. I wish there was a little more humor written into Halt and Catch Fire, though, since that helped keep Mad Men appealing during some of the less interesting episodes.

• Like 2