IGNORED

Atari 7800 controllers

Casey1334

Need to buy some. I had the joystick two button one but its at my parents house out of state and I don't see myself returning home for a very very very long time. I'm also interested in finding the D-pad controller similar to the NES pad. But I hear it was only released in Europe.

What is the least/most I should be paying for these?

I checked to see if the Atari store sells them but they don't. Bummer. :(

For one button games I'd say use a sega anything....it's going to be leaps better than anything made by or for an actual atari IMO.

For two button games, my experience agrees with loons....at least when I play Xevious, it acts like both buttons are being held down. In Xevious I actually don't mind this (it's basically bomb autofire) but others I do believe it makes unplayable. My One-on-one just goes into perpetual jump shots as I recall, using a sega pad.

people used to convert NES and SEGA (or 7800) into a working 7800 two button stick... IF anyone is still doing this I can donate a bunch of NES and bastard NES controllers for two of them back converted-

Since I solder now maybe I can learn to do it... I wonder.

• Like 1

people used to convert NES and SEGA (or 7800) into a working 7800 two button stick... IF anyone is still doing this I can donate a bunch of NES and bastard NES controllers for two of them back converted-

Since I solder now maybe I can learn to do it... I wonder.

Hey FT - You should hack up a plug n play (or build from arcade parts) and then work toward modding the NES and SEGA pads. Start with something big and easy to get the soldering iron in and around. This is an easy project as most classic gaming projects go. You'll be better for it if you try it yourself. I've done one, but being responsible enough to carve out the time and do a bunch of these that someone would actually buy is tough to commit to.

Look for the UK gamepad that was released for the 7800. I use it on my 2600 as well. Otherwise, you can always use a Sega Genesis gamepad. Totally compatible.

pad_img_0.jpg

These suck. Got one broken within an hour of use. The other feels just as cheap. The concave hat top is awkward too. Just my .02. YMMV

I'm going to hazard that the joypads were subject to very poor QC, and not necessarily bad by design. I had three of them, with one being very good in quality with great response and a firm feel, and the other too feeling like knock-offs - very loose, almost fragile-feeling. Yes, it's also been 30 years, but it's a lot easier for me to believe that Atari, even in Europe, just skimped at the manufacturing end of things rather than allowed engineers to deliberately design such a sub-par product.

I just need a two button controller with a D-pad that works and has good response. The Atari CX78 looks promising. And I can see that other members here are warning me not to get one. If I plan to buy and play through Midnight Mutants on the 7800, no one button Joystick controller is going to be of any valuable assistance to me.

Having played a bit of the game on an emulator, I can honestly say its a very enjoyable and fun game that I would like to play and beat on my Atari 7800.

These suck. Got one broken within an hour of use. The other feels just as cheap. The concave hat top is awkward too. Just my .02. YMMV

I have not spent a ton of hours with it, but in my limited use it works just fine and I rather like it. I don't even mind the concave stick on the top. My point still stands, they are better than the stock 7800 controllers.

• Like 1

I have not spent a ton of hours with it, but in my limited use it works just fine and I rather like it. I don't even mind the concave stick on the top. My point still stands, they are better than the stock 7800 controllers.

As I stated, YMMV (your mileage may vary). And I stand by that they feel cheap.

And I stand by that they feel cheap.

I may be poking a bear here. Feeling cheap is how every original Atari joystick ever feels. Every Atari console I own, the first thing I usually want to do is find a 3d party joystick. I still often wonder why Atari never could get it right. Worst offender, that travesty of a 5200 joystick. *shudder*

• Like 1

Never get it right? The Atari 2600 wireless joy stick homie!

But as for 7800 controllers...I've only ever used a 2600 controller and very briefly the 7800 joystick.

So I anxiously await to read more of this discussion and be filled in before I make an investment.

Thank you all for being of so much help.

Edited by Casey1334

The 7800 Pro line joysticks are plagued by bad design, holding them in your hands and tap on those lateral buttons kills it for me.

The internal design is all dome based so they are not the best nor the worst, domes do crack over time but that ain't the main gripe.

The euro pads are marred by small bad design decisions, like having the buttons sunk that makes it almost impossible to keep one pressed while tapping the other with your thumb or even tap both at the same time.

The layout also is a tad suboptimal, the directional pad should be moved down towards the bottom of the face, and the fire buttons should be placed more to the right and a little closer.

Internally the euro pads do not use domes but simple conductive membranes. The main issue is that the PCB is supporting the pad so over time it rubs away material (the pad has a plastic center pin touching the PCB). As the rubbing goes on the pad gets lower and lower and eventually [30 years later or so] it starts pressing more than one membrane at a time as it is flying too low to be precise, it should be an easy fix to glue some harder material to the PCB where the pin rubs to raise it back I just haven't had the time to try.

I personally end up using the euro pads by far the most without the little screw on stick, unless I am playing a one button game in which case a genny/megadrive "3 buttons" pad is all I use and it makes a lot of difference.

I did mod a 7800 Pro line cutting the joystick rod and replacing the ball on top and it makes it better as it lowers the stress you put on your holding hand while pushing the various direction with the stick, but still, long sessions kill your hand as I tend to get tense and the force I apply to the directions eventually takes such a toll on my holding hand that I give up, definitely a joypad is a better choice for many games ... I have not spent enough time with Winter/Summer Games and I am sure a couple of events in there are better with a joystick, a real one that is.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

For Midnight Mutants the 7800 Euro pad is my go-to controller. I like it a lot better with the thumb stick removed. As others have stated, they don't feel very sturdy and the D pad does not always cooperate and go in your intended direction, but compared to the 7800 Proline controllers, they are substantially better and won't kill your wrists.

For most games I just use a Slik Stik or a Tac 2. There really aren't many games where two buttons are a requirement, and my scores are generally a lot higher with a joy stick, especially vertical shooters.

• Like 1

The Repro NES pads from Tommee are easy to mod and they are cheap. You cut the traces to glob-top chip, remove the wire harness, and start soldering to the provided solder pads (a handy feature they included). If anyone goes this route I also recommend replacing the the lousy carbon dot suction cups with microswitches. In fact, I would say they are ONLY good for modding do not use them stock, spend your money on real NES controllers if you want to use carbon dots instead of microswitches.

Topic about microswitches in the 7800 pro-line controllers:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224549-7800-controller-with-tactile-switchs/

These are good replacements for dome contacts, and are in stock, my last post in the other topic goes to ones that are not stocked anymore but are identical. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/TL3315NF160Q/EG4621CT-ND/1870401

Edited by yell0w_lantern

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, I am very pleased with a recently acquired Space Invaders Radica mod joystick. It plays wonderfully and comfortable to use.

Highly recommended to purchase if you can get your hands on one.

I have one of these too and recommend it. However, it is a bit lacking when playing some of the PMP games (like Jr. Pac), especially with the fast speed enabled. This is the main reason I'm considering making my own 4-way arcade stick.

I have one of these too and recommend it. However, it is a bit lacking when playing some of the PMP games (like Jr. Pac), especially with the fast speed enabled. This is the main reason I'm considering making my own 4-way arcade stick.

Having a HotRod SE controller for my desktop - nothing's as cool as having a controller with actual Arcade parts. :)

However, I've never experienced any issues with Jr. Pac-Man fast mode, or any other (PMP) game having problems or missing directions with the SI Radica. It nails every direction, every time, never missing a beat. I played a quick round of Jr. Pac-Man in fast mode (with 3 lives) just to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

I wasn't going for points for the most part, though not ashamed to admit most deaths were due to greed and not the controller missing a move/direction:

[Pardon the lousy screen capture]

post-18-0-47411000-1402279571_thumb.pngpost-18-0-80059700-1402279573_thumb.png

Maybe I was lucky and obtained one of the better built models or a less worn one (Seller did describe it as being in Excellent condition). Works flawlessly for me.

Still will love to have a genuine Arcade (parts) controller for the 7800 - An X-Arcade/HotRod-like controller for the console would be awesome.

Or perhaps a Competition Pro controller mod for the two buttons on each side to work independently. It would then work nicely for right or left handed people:

post-18-0-83080000-1402279818_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Thinking about it more and then tried out one of the two I own...Nah, the buttons on the Competition Pro are spaced too unevenly and not optimal for say Crystal Quest or even Xevious for that matter.

Look for the UK gamepad that was released for the 7800. I use it on my 2600 as well. Otherwise, you can always use a Sega Genesis gamepad. Totally compatible.

pad_img_0.jpg

I use these pads for all my 2600/7800 gameplay (except paddle games) and have had zero problems with them. I recommend these with 6 foot extension cables so you can sit in a chair like a normal gamer.

Unscrew the little thumb joystick thing for better control and less blisters.

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1