IGNORED

Which would complement a 2600 better, NES or SNES?

I recently came into a nice little bit of money, and I might have an opportunity to pick up a NES or SNES to complement my Atari 2600 (if not, oh well, it'll happen eventually). In your opinion, which would be a better complement for the 2600, and why? I would just be focusing on picking up loose carts for the best games for either system, just as I plan on doing for the 2600.

Thank you!

Is the 2600 the only game system you currently own? I used to despise Nintendo as a whole, but I must admit the Famicom/NES really puts out some nice games for being hardware originally launched in Japan 1983 and was commercially supported at least until the early-mid 1990s. On the other hand the SNES never was nearly as groundbreaking, even the importer considers it almost a stop-gap solution, although I'm sure there are a number of nice games for it too (I've got two SNES consoles but mainly bottom of the pile games to go with them).

While you're studying the market, don't forget the Sega Genesis, in particular if you pair it next to the SNES. The game libraries may be a bit different, but IMHO the number one 16-bit console is the Sega.

If you like Sim City, the SNES has two versions: their special version of the original and Sim City 2000.

youtube.com/watch?v=F-0GT73ze1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-0GT73ze1E

youtube.com/watch?v=7ORJqfWIlbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ORJqfWIlbw

I think they are both great systems. I would get whichever you can find in a bulk lot which contains the best games for the best deal.

I think for your question as to which complements the 2600, I would say none of the above and say the Atari 7800. That complements the 2600 because it will play 2600 games, and the arcade ports are far superior to the 2600 versions, and there is a thriving home brew community supporting it to this day. Just my two cents....

This is a good question. The NES is a good choice for many reasons. First of all the library is similarly huge like the 2600. If you are the type of person that enjoys collecting for the sake of collecting and finding new things the NES would most certainly scratch the itch. The hugeness of the library means that all types of games are represented as well, classic arcade, contemporary arcade ports, plus some of the iconic titles of that era and so much more. But if it were my choice I think I would pick the SNES for no real rational or irrational reason. Still has a similarly huge and diverse library, games are easily found without the assistance of eBay with a minor downside of the more popular, better and/or rarer stuff being stupid expensive. Plus the SNES with the Super Game Boy opens up another huge library of games to play.

As an aside if I had to pick one system to keep, collect and play on exclusively it would be the SNES. Even though I have no nostalgic connection to it and don't collect for it currently (even though we have one).

Since both the 2600 and NES are mostly based around arcade-style games, as save2600 and TwinChargers mentioned, I feel that the NES would compliment the 2600 better. That's the setup I had when those were my first two "retro" consoles back 3 years ago and it still is today (albeit with a 7800).

Hey everyone, thank you for your input. The opportunity I had fell through, but I suppose I'll start poking around in the Marketplace here in the future, or maybe head to eBay for a NES. There's also a retro game store about 20 miles away from my college, but the guy who runs it isn't very polite with customers, so I'm hesitant to give him business. Granted I called earlier and they have a NES with a new 72-pin connector and two controllers for $50.

Thank you!

The 2600 is to me the most classic system I can think of. aside from that NES stands out way above anything else. Personally I like to have a SNES as well, but it would go before my NES if I was super broke.

when I got back into video gaming, the two main things on my mind were 2600 & NES. SNES I have played a lot but I always got tired of the games & eventually liked NES much better. The only Super Nintendo games that have had strong a lasting appeal for me are a small handful. Mario Kart, Street Fighter II, Tecmo Super Bowl & some others. when I quit gaming around 2000 & sold my Playstation & N64 & etc., the only thing I held onto was my NES & a pile of games (the Atari had been lost). My brother carried on gaming & getting new consoles each generation but he always sold off his older ones & got a new system -- except he kept his NES. the games are better IMO, in general they have better lasting appeal I think. To me the more important elements are challenging, interesting, lasting games with fun music.

I played Super Metroid all the way through once & enjoyed it very much, but never had any desire to play it any more. The original Metroid I played many times & kept improving my time getting through it & never lost interest in the game. I played Zelda Link to the Past all the way through & enjoyed it very much, but had no desire to keep playing it after that. however, when I beat the original Legend of Zelda I kept wanting to play it again! I still play it. Every time I play a new Mario game I like it very much but lose interest after I get done playing it, but I have never stopped enjoying to play the original Super Mario Bros. RPG's are kind of an exception, but even those - I played Final Fantasy all the way through 5 or 6 times before never wanting to play it again, Dragon Warrior more than that & still play it every few years. SNES RPG's were great but I just never wanted to play again after beating them.

same with Ghosts N Goblins, never tired of it. Super Ghouls & Ghosts is more impressive *looking* but sink some solid hours into both, really try to beat both games & see which one you prefer after that!

--same with Punch-Out! NES - always a great game... SNES not so. it's ok but just kind of sucks and gets boring.

--same with Double Dragon - NES always a great game, still love it. SNES Double Dragon is crap. (what happened?? Double Dragon for Genesis is very good though. Neon for PS3 is very good.)

--the original Contra is WAY better than Contra III in my opinion.

--the original Castlevania is WAY better than Super Castlevania IV -- in my opinion. that game sucked. (Symphony of the Night for Playstation was actually really good but too easy & lacked replay value for me.)

--the original Blaster Master is easily the best one ever made.

--Scott Pilgrim vs the World is the only game that has ever come close to touching the greatness of River City Ransom (NES).

--many NES sports games are fun for ever. not so with SNES (but there are a few)

--as mentioned above, the arcade ports are better on NES

--you will have many pleasant surprises by picking up cheap games you've never heard of on NES. compare that with many disappointments on SNES, and then having a junk pile of crap SNES carts you hate looking at.

IMO, the 16-bit era was the beginning of the trend of games getting made with a focus on "wowwing" people with amazing visuals & sound, with less effort put toward excellent gameplay. a lot of people say the games for SNES versions & sequels are better but I find that their descriptions of why usually have to do with technical specs to do with the capability of output in terms of graphics & sound -- which to me has very little to do with how good a game is.

Another point in support of the original: I even enjoy playing the crappy games for that system, they just have a fun charm to them (check out Dr. Sparkle's video reviews of NES games, it's called "Chrontendo.") compared to the HUGE pile of crappy games for SNES that have no appeal to me whatever.

to be fair, there are some really great games for SNES & I love to have it, but this is my opinion. Unless you really want RPG's, Mario Kart & Street Fighter, I'd say DEFINITELY go for the NES if choosing only one of them.

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 1

P.S. - if you hold out & have patience you can get a NES w/ games for less than $50.

my advice: set your price & just hold out for it, keep checking craigslist & thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, etc. it might take a little longer, but I'm someone who doesn't usually have much $$. so I go for 25 or 30 bucks or less & having it come with a handful of games. you might find one at a yard sale for 10 or 20 bucks or less.