IGNORED

Remember the old computer rivalry?

Remember back in the early days of vintage computing? How the Commodore guys would make fun of the TI guys, telling them how much better their computer was? How the Atari guy's would then slam the Commodore guys, then the Apple guys, Trash 80 guys and everyone else would pile on? There were just so many different computers out there. It seemed everyone had a different non-compatible system and of course everyone had a different opinion as to which was best and why. By the time the Amiga's and PC's arrived things had pretty much settled down.

This thread is to post cartoons, pictures, poems, even rants of anything of a 'nostalgic feel' when it comes to the old home computer rivalry.

I'll start off with what the TI guy's called the Commodore 64...

gallery_35324_1027_8424.jpg

• Like 1

In British schools in the early 80s, there was no clear leader in the debate due to the larger number of machines on the market. Then a few years later, the dominatores were the C64 and Spectrum. If you owned anything else you were considered an outcast and laughed at.

It's all pretty stupid now when you think back about it, but incredibly it still exits today with grown adults and their choice of mobile/cell phone.

I've written about the computer rivalries in my book.

• Like 2

In British schools in the early 80s, there was no clear leader in the debate due to the larger number of machines on the market. Then a few years later, the dominatores were the C64 and Spectrum. If you owned anything else you were considered an outcast and laughed at.

It's all pretty stupid now when you think back about it, but incredibly it still exits today with grown adults and their choice of mobile/cell phone.

I've written about the computer rivalries in my book.

Sounds similar here to the States. For the longest time, schools only used Apple II's and their upgrades. That was the first computer I ever used -- I still remember plunking away at one when I was 6 in 1982 in 1st grade. Apple really didn't lose their dominance on the school market until the early to mid 90's when IBM clones started coming in. Today you can still find some Mac's but it's mostly IBM's.

Remember back in the early days of vintage computing? How the Commodore guys would make fun of the TI guys, telling them how much better their computer was? How the Atari guy's would then slam the Commodore guys, then the Apple guys, Trash 80 guys and everyone else would pile on? There were just so many different computers out there. It seemed everyone had a different non-compatible system and of course everyone had a different opinion as to which was best and why. By the time the Amiga's and PC's arrived things had pretty much settled down.

How could anyone forget. At least it wasn't a crappy TI.

Oh and....

Apple. Stink different.

• Like 3

I've always loved this one (Apple vs IBM):

August 1981 full-page newspaper ad run by Apple in the Wall Street Journal welcoming IBM to the personal computer marketplace.

And strangely enough, Apple is still in the Personal Computer Market, and IBM isn't...

• Like 3

I remember having a discussion with my Uncle about the C64 ( his computer choice ) and the Apple ][e ( my computer choice ), and the intelligent C64 Disk System, verses the dumb Apple ][e Disk system.

I am sorry, but the on-board 6502 of the 1541 doesn't beat loading programs on the Apple ][e.. Even with an Epyx FastLoad cartridge.. Then add ProntoDOS to the Apple ][e and Look Out!!

I bought a SX-64 too, but do you think my Uncle would by an Apple ][... Ha!!!!

one could argue that apple is in the consumer electronics market, and happens to make computers

Yea... Whatever pays the Bills....

Apple adapted to other Consumer Commodities, IBM adapted to a Service Commodity...

• Like 1

And strangely enough, Apple is still in the Personal Computer Market, and IBM isn't...

And from that I just learned that Lenovo actually isn't owned by IBM. I guess I had always assumed that Lenovo was a division of IBM because they were making Thinkpads, but thanks to your statement I just now actually looked it up and discovered I was wrong.

And from that I just learned that Lenovo actually isn't owned by IBM. I guess I had always assumed that Lenovo was a division of IBM because they were making Thinkpads, but thanks to your statement I just now actually looked it up and discovered I was wrong.

I own a Lenovo G550..

From what I learned previously, when IBM started having their PC built in China, Lenovo was the Contract Manufacture ( CM ). When the decided to leave the PC Market, they just Sold it ALL to Lenovo.. Which continues to build Think-Pads and their own designs..

even in the 80's Acer (which I cant remember their original name Taiwan something or another) was manufacturing IBM monitors and various other components as far back as the XT models, IBM has just always done the CM game

Acer I can handle they make cheap stuff for fairly cheap prices, Lenovo is kind of a crap shoot, thinkpad's are still tanks the desktop models are still tanks, idea pads, OMG i have seen kids toys made better than those chunks of crap. and its a bit of a moving target, so you never really know unless you see it in person first, which is kind of a bummer given the brand reputation.

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

I own a Lenovo G550..

From what I learned previously, when IBM started having their PC built in China, Lenovo was the Contract Manufacture ( CM ). When the decided to leave the PC Market, they just Sold it ALL to Lenovo.. Which continues to build Think-Pads and their own designs..

That sounds similar to the deal that happened with Unicomp. Unicomp basically used to be a division of Lexmark back when Lexmark was manufacturing IBM keyboards under contract. Then Unicomp became its own entity when another party purchased that division from Lexmark, and they re-branded the Model M keyboards under their own name.

• Like 1

That sounds similar to the deal that happened with Unicomp. Unicomp basically used to be a division of Lexmark back when Lexmark was manufacturing IBM keyboards under contract. Then Unicomp became its own entity when another party purchased that division from Lexmark, and they re-branded the Model M keyboards under their own name.

And I am glad they still do make excellent keyboards.. I am typing this message on a Type M Clicky Keyboard, ID#:7295304, Date:08JUN92

I remember having a discussion with my Uncle about the C64 ( his computer choice ) and the Apple ][e ( my computer choice ), and the intelligent C64 Disk System, verses the dumb Apple ][e Disk system.

I am sorry, but the on-board 6502 of the 1541 doesn't beat loading programs on the Apple ][e.. Even with an Epyx FastLoad cartridge.. Then add ProntoDOS to the Apple ][e and Look Out!!

The C64 has to SUCK it's data through a straw. The primitive Disk II cruises on an 8-lane bi-directional highway.

Back in the day, me and my buddies did some funky rwts and a stupid simple hardware mod that sped the Disk II up even more. about 30% more. Eventually I'll post it on asimov. And then there's my favorite dos, Hyper-Dos, the one that displays the track and sector count in the lower right hand corner? Remember that? that's the dos we modded. Too bad Applewin stumbles on it. Making it look 2x slower than regular standard dos. :(

Well that's attributable to the success of the Apple II no doubt..

And I am glad they still do make excellent keyboards.. I am typing this message on a Type M Clicky Keyboard, ID#:7295304, Date:08JUN92

I'd give you the ID and date of mine, but I'm about 100 miles away right now, haha. Maybe tomorrow. I used one I got off eBay for a while (I wanna say it was $20 or so, maybe $30), but eventually, for some reason, the group of keys electrically associated with the ENTER key would stop responding every once in a while. Luckily, by the time that happened, I had already purchased a spare from a thrift store (for $1 actually, if I remember correctly), so all I had to do was swap them out and it didn't cause me much downtime. The one from the thrift store was missing one key cap, though, so of course I popped it off of the malfunctioning keyboard and put it on the thrift store keyboard. I did get the eBay keyboard back out recently though as I'm trying to teach myself PIC programming by interfacing with a PS/2 keyboard, and I haven't seen the malfunction occur again since.

When it came to Amiga bashing, I WAS KING! In fact, the Amiga sucked so hard I couldn't stand it anymore and I had to do something. I had to save you all from vaporware-induced destitution. X xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx, xxx xxx, x xxx xxx xxxxx xx xxx xxxxx xxx-xxxxxx xxx xxx xxxx xx xxxxxxx.

Speaking of ongoing wars, how about "Still Alive" for the Amiga crew? (video made on a Amiga 4000)

Eric Schwartz is big in animations for the Amiga. Still remember those demo's that came out regular back in the days. Great fun to watch.
  • Like 1