IGNORED

Just Got A 3DO!

The 3DO kicks it's butt, for sure.

What's wrong with the Sega CD version of Out of this World? Not counting the sequel on the same disc, I never saw anything flawed or bad about the port of the first game. It was true to the original computer versions. Or am I missing something?

I like the 3DO version, but it runs at about twice as fast as every other version does, which makes some parts a lot more difficult (not that they really needed to be to begin with). The remastered visuals are nice though.

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

It is really nice to see the 3DO getting love after all these years. I don't know why but for whatever reason this system that I coveted when I was 10 years old has been brought back to my consciousness. I do agree, finally getting my hands on one, since I never even saw one in person, would be quite awesome. It's a bit beyond my range at $100-$150 but of course far less than the $700 price tag it carried when I was a kid. :D Seriously considering owning one.

• Like 1

It is really nice to see the 3DO getting love after all these years. I don't know why but for whatever reason this system that I coveted when I was 10 years old has been brought back to my consciousness. I do agree, finally getting my hands on one, since I never even saw one in person, would be quite awesome. It's a bit beyond my range at $100-$150 but of course far less than the $700 price tag it carried when I was a kid. :D Seriously considering owning one.

You really should find one. Can't remember the last time I was this impressed with a system.

• Like 1

It's a bit beyond my range at $100-$150 but of course far less than the $700 price tag it carried when I was a kid. :D Seriously considering owning one.

I think I paid $35 for my FZ-10, because it wasn't in mint condition and didn't come with a controller. Not the best scenario, but it can be done without spending $150.

• Like 2

So here are my 3DO pics :

Back :

gallery_35492_963_829508.jpg

gallery_35492_963_1898076.jpg

Under it :

gallery_35492_963_616779.jpg

Inside it.

gallery_35492_963_1690400.jpg

So I was wrong, the S-video connector IS here. However, it was blocked, and this seems to be a professionnal work. (Beside, why a modder would hide a connection?)

But here is that weird cable here :

gallery_35492_963_1145632.jpg

What is it? It seems this cable was going out of the system and it's weirdly linked to the console.

• Like 2

I think I paid $35 for my FZ-10, because it wasn't in mint condition and didn't come with a controller. Not the best scenario, but it can be done without spending $150.

Good to hear! I'll just track eBay, if I can get it for less I'll definitely make the jump. I'm assuming the Panasonic is the most reliable model? I was going with that also based on nostalgia since it's what I remembered from the commercials back in the day. I wasn't even aware there were other manufacturers.

@Atari2008

Glad I can help :). I'm not normally this dedicated to advocating a system, but this really takes the cake. Absolute treasure this thing is.

@Catpix

Dude, that is weird! I knew they all had S-Video. That does look like a professional job. So the S-video is led to another place in the system? Does the wire lead to anywhere? Seriously odd! I hope you can find someone here with the answer.

• Like 1

Well I suppose I could just remove the chatterton (it looks like it is) to get S-video. What is the cable about? I don't know.

Does all the FZ1 have this round hole next to the RCA plugs? I feel like the cable was going out of the system; it's cut now and just goes nowhere in the system. Was it a video mod, or something else? Maybe a kiosk model indeed, with a special wiring to plug special audio/video and gamepad accessories? It looks home made, but at the same time, not much people would made a soldering PCB like the one I have here. And it still doesn't explain why the S-video connection was sealed.

Maybe it was from a development kit?

Edited by CatPix

Well I suppose I could just remove the chatterton (it looks like it is) to get S-video. What is the cable about? I don't know.

Does all the FZ1 have this round hole next to the RCA plugs? I feel like the cable was going out of the system; it's cut now and just goes nowhere in the system. Was it a video mod, or something else? Maybe a kiosk model indeed, with a special wiring to plug special audio/video and gamepad accessories? It looks home made, but at the same time, not much people would made a soldering PCB like the one I have here. And it still doesn't explain why the S-video connection was sealed.

Maybe it was from a development kit?

Yeah, all FZ-1s have that round hole. It's where the Svideo would be on the outside next to the RCA plugs.

Honestly, it wouldnt surprise me if it was Kiosk related. Like, maybe the video was hard wired to the kiosk? While it might look homemade, the system WAS displayed at numerous conventions before its debut. If they hard wired it up, it wouldn't have been done by a factory, but a custom job. It looks professional enough that that might be the case.

Honest, I'd keep it as is. Y/W/R connection is good enough, and you might find out later after you reverse the mod that yours was indeed a convention or trade show model, or a kiosk model.

Very cool either way :)

Got a new game in the mail today. A mint condition ( and I mean mint.. I've never seen such a pristine, untouched 3DO long case game in all my life) copy of Stellar 7 Draxon's Revenge!

For all those Atari fans out there, you really should check this out. The spiritual successor to Battlezone, the game is a treat. You can't play it like Battlezone. The enemies are far tougher. You'll have to be constantly moving (and you move much quicker) in order to avoid enemy fire.

Your radar looks like it's ripped right out of Battlezone, and works well to show you enemies, obstacles and enemy fire. The game features a variety of enemies including gun turrets, tanks, landspeeders, robotic bird things, etc etc. Get far enough in the level, and a mother ship will fly over head, and with a burst of lightening, a 60 ft tall "Guardian" will walk towards you trying to shoot your small tank.

I do wish the triggers were used. They'd be perfect to be used as strafing buttons. There are also other weapons, although I haven't been able to find any that look any different than your standard fire.

But I have a lot more to play, and I have a lot more skill to acquire through countless more play sessions. If you love Battlezone, and want a game with great graphics, awesome sound effects, great voice work, and good control, check out Stellar 7 :)

Below is a picture of the game. Honestly, THE best looking condition game I've ever seen for that age. SO happy :)

nVRoFhU.jpg

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

I have the FZ-10 model, had a couple FZ-1's and they look awesome but both developed issues reading discs and one motorized tray broke down. I prefer the FZ-10, it is slimmer looking more like say a TurboDuo and since it has a flip top lid less mechanics to break down / wear out. Also the Memory Manager is built in as opposed to having to load it off a disc. I have the mouse, 3 controllers and gun (somewhere). I really like it.

Izycm7E.jpg?1

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Was thinking of getting the mouse. What games use it?

Awesome fz-10 btw. Totally agree its the best of the three. Now take thiuse controllers off the top of it and keep it minty nice! ;)

Thanks. I THINK it can be used in the place of the gun (been a while) as well some titles that were PC ports but I could not tell you off hand. The controllers were place just for this picture lol, I take good care of my systems. :) I actually LIKE FMV games and so I prefer to play them whenever possible on the 3DO as they look great on it especially compared to low resolution and color of say the Sega CD. I was also amazed when I picked up a sweet deal on everything having admired but never being able to afford it back in the day. Would love to get the fighting controller like the one you have one day.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

The soldier controllers are in eBay all the time. If you stalk eBay you'll find one cheap.

Thats how I feel. The system dies fmv wonderfully and makes the segs CD look downright embarrassing in its effort. Even if the fmv isn't part of gameplay I love how each game tends to have dramatic story videos in the beginning. Plus all the old school sci fi and space shooters. You just don't see those 90s style games anymore. Its a piece of what makes the 3do so great.

• Like 1

Yeah, all FZ-1s have that round hole. It's where the Svideo would be on the outside next to the RCA plugs.

Honestly, it wouldnt surprise me if it was Kiosk related. Like, maybe the video was hard wired to the kiosk? While it might look homemade, the system WAS displayed at numerous conventions before its debut. If they hard wired it up, it wouldn't have been done by a factory, but a custom job. It looks professional enough that that might be the case.

Honest, I'd keep it as is. Y/W/R connection is good enough, and you might find out later after you reverse the mod that yours was indeed a convention or trade show model, or a kiosk model.

Very cool either way :)

I meant the hole on the right, over the white label. It looks home made as well.

And yes, I supposed too that maybe this was a model used in Europe to display the system before the PAL release. That would be amazing, but heh, I already came on rare/odd items without expecting it, so I'm not surprised :D

I meant the hole on the right, over the white label. It looks home made as well.

And yes, I supposed too that maybe this was a model used in Europe to display the system before the PAL release. That would be amazing, but heh, I already came on rare/odd items without expecting it, so I'm not surprised :D

I'm not sure about that hold. I don't have an FZ-1 to check, but looking online I found an interesting picture!

While I don't see a hole over the white sticker, this one ALSO has a blocked S-Video port with the same plastic! See, I told you that was done by them! This was on Wiki's 3DO page btw.

BjkVXBr.jpg

See, I told you that was done by them! This was on Wiki's 3DO page btw.

I'm not sure because a picture is on a Wiki that it means it was done "by" Panasonic.

Probably was, but I'm not sure a Wiki pic proves it. ;-)

Interesting to see that one too tho. No RF...

I'm thinking more and more that this was something they did for their kiosk/demo type units maybe...

desiv

Edited by desiv

No RF on the unit, but a mini Din plug... Well, this Mini Din plug have 8 pins, and the cable on mine have 8 wires.

Maybe this one is a more refined version of mine, with a proper output instead of an hardwired cable!

Note that mine does have RF (I haven't tested it. I have only some TV able to catch RF NTSC, and the result is piss poor).

I'm not sure because a picture is on a Wiki that it means it was done "by" Panasonic.

Probably was, but I'm not sure a Wiki pic proves it. ;-)

Interesting to see that one too tho. No RF...

I'm thinking more and more that this was something they did for their kiosk/demo type units maybe...

desiv

Oh I know, just that out of all the systems they had one similar to his shown there. And it looks like a professionally taken shot, not from "bubba's" living room. So I don't think it's a hack job.

No RF on the unit, but a mini Din plug... Well, this Mini Din plug have 8 pins, and the cable on mine have 8 wires.

Maybe this one is a more refined version of mine, with a proper output instead of an hardwired cable!

Note that mine does have RF (I haven't tested it. I have only some TV able to catch RF NTSC, and the result is piss poor).

I think that's what it is as well. This is very interesting, and I hope you keep hold of that 3DO, at least until you figure out what it is. So what's the Din plug for then? On a PC Engine, it's used for a controller. I doubt it would carry a display feed, isn't it meant for keyboards/mouse and the like?

You can put any signal through this plug. Heh, the S-video plug is a Mini-din with only 4 pins (and it's the same than a keyboard plug, BTW).

It migh be a kind of JAMMA adapter? Is there a Wiki where you can see how the internals of the 3DO works? Because it take most signals from that ribbon wire plugged to that card near the CD player. It we know what signals goes through this cable on a "regular" 3DO then we may know what signals were going out (or in! It might have been a multi CD player plugged to the 3DO for kiosk demos, maybe even adding a selection screen?)

Good news! I found the source of those files. It's coming from a Chinese gaming forum.

Check it out. Chrome will translate it to English. He has a WALL of text talking about all sorts of stuff. Maybe something in there of value?

http://game.ali213.net/thread-2919362-1-1.html

These pictures were watermarked from ANOTHER Chinese site... the actual origin of the photos.

http://www.gamersky.com/news/200910/150995.shtml

Between the two, there's got to be something! :D

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

Some good news! Got a new copy of the long box version of Samurai Shodown! Also got Pretty Fighter Sailor Moon S (Street Fighter II -esq anime fighting game... quite good actually!). Got them both for a song, really pleased!

If anyone wants me to start posting reviews of these titles, just let me know.

• Like 1