IGNORED

Atari 5200 paddles

Prosystemsearch

Have the atari 5200 paddle controllers been found by any collectors yet?? and if so, are are any of them complete? :? :? :?

Are you asking because Dan Kramer just found the prototypes for the unreleased Atari 7800 ProLine Controller Coupler accessory yesterday? :)

My goal for my spare 5200 controllers - I bought a bunch of "non working" ones from a Portland retrogaming store over ePay last year dirt cheap - is to use the Best Electronics gold fix kit for the 5200's joystick buttons and then use their 2600 Paddle POTs replacement kits for the Paddle POT mod. For the Paddle Knob itself, I want to 3D Print some in multiple colors [5200 system colors] to distinguish them apart. Someone's already uploaded the 3D files for the Paddle Knob to Thingieverse. That way, no actual 2600 Paddles are "hurt" in the conversion process.

Castle Crisis would be at the top of my list to use them with. Then again, maybe by the time I complete this project - or even start it - the 5200 programmer who worked on the Warlords port will finally release his source code so the real version can finally be released. And maybe someone else will port the modern Atari iOS game Breakout Boost - or is it Blast? - to the 5200; it's certainly better than Arkanoid.

So according that link, the 5200 paddles were made with parts from a 2600 paddle and some easy to get parts. Anyone thought of making these from broken 5200 controllers?

By the way, the post-Buffy Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated was an awesome show! I wish Warner would release the series on Blu-ray!

Thomas3120 has a video on YouTube about the mod process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ9TZFHi8Y4

He also added a switch for shifting in 5200 Pole Position. But as a Facebook friend of Dan Kramer's, I must mention that he had the programmers [GCC?] of 5200 Pole Position add the code so that his 5200 TrakBall Controller could drive the car. Go ahead and try that!

That's pretty cool. If I might ask, how much did you used to charge for them?

Have you made a Jaguar version yet?

Thanks. If I remember right.. they used to sell from $30 to $40.

I never made a jag one... I'd like one for Tempest, but doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Maybe if Breakout 2K also supported it :)

• Like 2

Then again, maybe by the time I complete this project - or even start it - the 5200 programmer who worked on the Warlords port will finally release his source code so the real version can finally be released.

I think that project has been abandoned. I have the ROM for the last rev and it is not really playable.

Mitch

I think that project has been abandoned. I have the ROM for the last rev and it is not really playable.

Mitch

He released the code? The last time I stumbled upon his website, he stated he wouldn't release the code because of his contract with [defunct] Atari Inc. meant he could be sued if he did.

I've read elsewhere that collision detection wasn't finished in his code.

He released the code? The last time I stumbled upon his website, he stated he wouldn't release the code because of his contract with [defunct] Atari Inc. meant he could be sued if he did.

I've read elsewhere that collision detection wasn't finished in his code.

Code, no. ROM, yes.

Mitch

By the way, the post-Buffy Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated was an awesome show! I wish Warner would release the series on Blu-ray!

Yeah, it was pretty good and what's interesting is that the creative team for that show also did a pilot for Wacky Races that seem to have a similar tone.

Anyway, I don't have a 5200 but I like homemade hardware mods. I looked at the 5200 controller and does seem like if somebody wanted to, they could make a 7800 driving controller.

I've been making those for a long time now. I use Sears Video Arcade II pots. ;)

Pretty much any variable resistor with the proper resistance will work perfectly. Might be cheaper to buy them from

an audio store as the same values used in paddles,ect. are also common in electric guitars and effect pedals.

Is the rom available? Or are you the gatekeeper?

I dumped it off of the cart I had with it on it. I don't think the developer wants the ROM released. It is not really playable either.

Mitch