IGNORED

Alien Vs. Predator

atari2600land

So I bit the bullet and bought a loose AvP cart. It doesn't have the overlays, but I'm not too picky. The main reason I bought it is because it is supposed to be good. Another reason is because I need more Jaguar games. I looked at the cheats and it has God Mode, so I should be happy. I'm imagining a Doom-like game. I have Doom for the Jaguar also.

• Like 1

So I bit the bullet and bought a loose AvP cart. It doesn't have the overlays, but I'm not too picky. The main reason I bought it is because it is supposed to be good. Another reason is because I need more Jaguar games. I looked at the cheats and it has God Mode, so I should be happy. I'm imagining a Doom-like game. I have Doom for the Jaguar also.

AvP is non-linear, and the movement feels nothing like DOOM. Knowing you, you will probably get torn to shreds by the game. Definitely activate god mode and just run around and see what you think.

• Like 2

The game is a little more survival horror than doom clone imo, even within the AVP cart you have three different modes that play completely different from each other (let alone another game like doom).

I got pretty far as the marine, but made the mistake of saving the game to return to later - all the enemies are put back in place when you load a saved game no matter how thoroughly you cleared the floors before you saved it :mad:

The predator mode takes some of the complexity out and can be completed without much of a hassle (although it not without challenges). Although a lot of people probably go straight for the marine mode because its elements are the most familiar I think the predator mode actually has a broader appeal.

Alien mode is kind of cool but a little superficial, it feels a lot like an arcade game.

• Like 1

So I finally got around to trying the game out. What a stinkburgerfest this is. Even with God Mode enabled. Apparently the only weapon you have as a Predator is your fist. And it takes 9 million hits to a soldier to get him to fall over and die. And then I kept roaming around trying to find an end to the level but there isn't one. At least with Doom there's an exit of some kind. Or do I need to watch the movie first to understand what I'm doing?

I'm guessing you didnt get a manual either.

The Predator has a series of weapons, each more powerful than the previous. They are awarded/accessed based on a point system, which is based on how you attack. If you attack "honorably" (while visible), you get points; you LOSE points for attacking while invisble (dishonorably). Therefore you can lose a weapon if you repeatedly attack while invisible. You begin w/ fists, then the combi-stick (which is like an electrified extending cattle prod; I used it the most), then an exploding(?) throwing disc, then the shoulder cannon.

There's no "end of the level", the game takes place in an enclosed area, a space station comprised of 5 levels connected by 2 elevators. You have specific objectives fo complete as each individual character: the Marine, Alien, or Predator.

The game is not a "stinkburgerfest", you just need to learn how to play it properly. Same goes for all those E.T. haters.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

Try Googling for the FAQ. There are maps and such available. When I first tried this game I found it very frustrating. After sitting down and reading the FAQ and looking at a few maps, though, I really got into it.

I have to say, completing the mission as the Marine is hard, really hard, in the final stages.

iirc the game has an auto-mapping feature so that you know where you've been and where you haven't. essentially you just use that and work your way to the hive.

imo using the god mode completely defeats the purpose of the predator mode, combined with the fact that you're looking for "the end of the level," honestly you can't really help someone see the merits of a game if they're not even trying to begin with. the point of the predator mode is to gradually level up so you're prepared for the end of the game, and the dynamics change a little as you get stronger and face more enemies.

Edited by Willard

There are 5 main levels, plus the Predator Ship & The alien ship... In addition if you play as the alien you have 8 or so air ducts (because you cannot use the elevators)

Predator mission is to find the alien ship and kill the queen

iirc the game has an auto-mapping feature so that you know where you've been and where you haven't. essentially you just use that and work your way to the hive.

imo using the god mode completely defeats the purpose of the predator mode, combined with the fact that you're looking for "the end of the level," honestly you can't really help someone see the merits of a game if they're not even trying to begin with. the point of the predator mode is to gradually level up so you're prepared for the end of the game, and the dynamics change a little as you get stronger and face more enemies.

So I should use the Alien mode then?

Sorry, I'm completely new to the game.

'Atta boy, ls650!

Zach Meston & Douglas J. Arnold (wow, I dunno why I know that) authored a softcover Jaguar game strategy guide BITD, it had maps for each level of AvP including the airducts & enemy ships. I used those.

One important thing to do when beating the game as the Marine: clear a path to the you-know-what BEFORE activating the you-know-what. IIRC the path is rather short & takes very little time with nothing in your way, just use the elevator & thru a quick series of left & right turns.

Edited by RJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really have to agree with ROTS. If you haven't played the game before, you're doing a disservice to yourself to play it in god mode without having played it in normal mode extensively first.

The game, as you have probably noticed, is slower than Doom. It's not a FPS in the way that Doom and Wolfenstein are, it's more of an "adventure/horror" FPS.

I just got it myself this past week for the first time since I owned it as a teenager in the 90s and what I forgot about it is that it can still be scary. Enemies can just SNEAK up on you. You won't find that in Doom or Wolfenstein or a number of other FPS games.

Secondly, you really do need to read the F'in manual to understand the game and what is going on and it's right here on AtariAge.

• Like 2

I really have to agree with ROTS. If you haven't played the game before, you're doing a disservice to yourself to play it in god mode without having played it in normal mode extensively first.

Just a FYI, the OP often complains about the difficulty in games.. like, the first few levels of just about any Super Mario Bros. game.. He will not survive in AvP. Period. Just trust us on this one. :)

(OP, I don't mean that in a derogatory manner--we're just looking out for you).

Good a place as any:

Anyone else see the upgraded, but canned Playstation version? (shown in Playstation Plus E3 report-P25, postman's name who delivered mag was Barry, if i need to validate me claim :-) )

Levels were no longer flat and featureless, game promised more action, 3D Enviroment more detailed, player could look up/down as well as left and right.Aliens would attack from above and below...guess it got turned into the brilliant AVP on PC instead?.

Reason i bought a 2nd hand PCat the time in fact.

I have been playing AvP since 1994 and here is my advice. Play the Predator scenario first. Its the best scenario. Its not overly difficult, its the most fun and rewarding. Option button turns your cloak off and on. Always leave it on except turn it off right before you attack because you lose points if you kill when you are cloaked. You need points to upgrade weapons. I think #6 on the keypad cycles the different cloaks, well just make sure to figure out which buttons cycle cloaks and the keypad button that gives you health after you pick up heath.

Then play as the Marine. This scenario is extremely difficult. I would suggest watching a playthrough or reading a playthrough first to get an idea of what to do.

The alien scario pretty much sucks. Its flawed in its design. You basically take two steps forward and one step back the whole time you play. You kill some guys, caccoon, die, respawn back where you caccooned last, rinse repeat recycle. It sucks.

This game is most fun played as the Predator without cheating, and played with the Marine with cheats on. Its also best to play this game at night with the sound turned up loud and home alone.

And don't forget to figure out how to save your game progress as you play.

• Like 1

Levels were no longer flat and featureless, game promised more action, 3D Enviroment more detailed, player could look up/down as well as left and right.Aliens would attack from above and below...guess it got turned into the brilliant AVP on PC instead?.

Reason i bought a 2nd hand PCat the time in fact.

The PC game was mind blowing when I first played it. I never made it far at all, but the atmosphere and the visuals were amazing. It was one of the first games I tried when I upgraded to my first 3D graphics card at the time.

• Like 1

@Austin:Windows'95 original version of AVP (not the GOLD version with 'Actors' on the comms screens) to this day has been the ONLY Aliens game to really 'nail' the Alien A.I, they were no longer standard FPS 'fodder' but a real threat and even tooled right up, made me feel so under-powered.It added so much to the esential tension.

Monoliths AVP 2 (and i bought the Primal Hunt Exp.Pack) looked nicer, but lacked the atmosphere of Rebellions game.Less said about AVP on PS3/360/PC the better...