IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Power Supply

Rey

I've looked a lot for a schematic for the ADAM printer power supply but can not find a good clear one. Does anyone have a copy? I'm trying to see if I can figure out a power supply for this thing.

I've looked a lot for a schematic for the ADAM printer power supply but can not find a good clear one. Does anyone have a copy? I'm trying to see if I can figure out a power supply for this thing.

I'm sure I've got a PDF copy if you need a copy, but there's really nothing mystical about the voltages it supplies. A PC supply can easily replace the printer.

I got some information thanks to Bob's site just because I like to have any and all information at hand if possible no matter how simple the task. I am going to order a psu that will give me the voltages I need and a enclosure for it. I believe a 180w PS should be enough. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

The best one I have is here: http://drushel.biol.cwru.edu/schematics/powersupply_working_bitmap.pdf It's fairly legible.

Bob Slopesma may have a better one at his site. Mine was made from a full-sized (D-print) photocopy lent by Richard Clee; I think Bob's came from a Coleco original blueprint.

*Dr. D.*

post-29644-0-53852100-1401462726_thumb.jpg

Ok Rey....got one for you IF it comes thru here. It is a .jpg and should be clear enough, the other alternative is a .png picture which is 3.5mg.

• Like 1

I received the power supply today but for some reason I'm not getting a -5volt reading out of any of the pins. The label on the supply clearly shows the -5v is one of the voltages it's capable of. I grounded the green ps-on wire and it powers on fine but not getting the -5v anywhere. Any ideas?

For the price of these power supplies it's worth just attaching a L790. Hopefully I'll have this done soon,complete with a nice label in top :)

Edited by rey_1178

An update on the power supply. I got it up and running and so far so good. I still have a little more work to do with it which includes a label but here's how it looks so far.

post-38875-0-70960400-1401937138_thumb.jpg

post-38875-0-82510600-1401937240_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

An update on the power supply. I got it up and running and so far so good. I still have a little more work to do with it which includes a label but here's how it looks so far.

attachicon.gif20140604_224649.jpg

attachicon.gif20140604_224743.jpg

Looking GOOD Rey! :grin: You will have to tell the masses how to do it and what you used. I just took an old 180watt ibm supply and wired it to an ADAM power cord, works great, but not so pretty as yours.

• Like 1

Looking GOOD Rey! :grin: You will have to tell the masses how to do it and what you used. I just took an old 180watt ibm supply and wired it to an ADAM power cord, works great, but not so pretty as yours.

Thanks Bob. It takes some good amount of work to do it like this but if someone feels confident enough it's worth it. You can see it's smaller than the disk drive. I'm still trying to figure out an even smaller solution, way smaller and have an eye on some parts but for now this is very nice and beats having to rely on the large printer. I will do lots of testing during the next few days to make sure there's no over heating in the supply. It ran fine last night using everything, tapes,floppies,cartridges, all one after the other and the heat coming from the supply seemed normal. This will also be receiving a nice custom label.

• Like 1

I re did this again in a slightly larger enclosure and added ventilation which includes a tiny fan. Now it runs cool. Have had it running all day and it doesn't even get warm so success! I changed the location of the switch and added a DB9 port at the rear. There's a label at the bottom but still need the label at the top which will look like what's on the keyboard,memory console, etc.

The cable I'm using fits perfectly so no modification to your memory console is required. From all the searching I did before starting this little project, I saw the problem where some removal of plastic around around the male port on the memory console was necessary for the plug to fit. So I looked for one that would fit correctly and from the pictures below you will notice the female end completely fits into the male plug on the ADAM. The point is to just make it plug and play without any hassles.

I considered painting the supply in the ADAMs colors but for now it will be black. Label will be coming shortly.

post-38875-0-99047100-1402263042_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-42452700-1402263167_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-75506500-1402263200_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-80940100-1402263206_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-75054300-1402263212_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-21043200-1402263223_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-62504000-1402263229_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I re did this again in a slightly larger enclosure and added ventilation which includes a tiny fan. Now it runs cool. Have had it running all day and it doesn't even get warm so success! I changed the location of the switch and added a DB9 port at the rear. There's a label at the bottom but still need the label at the top which will look like what's on the keyboard,memory console, etc.

The cable I'm using fits perfectly so no modification to your memory console is required. From all the searching I did before starting this little project, I saw the problem where some removal of plastic around around the male port on the memory console was necessary for the plug to fit. So I looked for one that would fit correctly and from the pictures below you will notice the female end completely fits into the male plug on the ADAM. The point is to just make it plug and play without any hassles.

I considered painting the supply in the ADAMs colors but for now it will be black. Label will be coming shortly.

attachicon.gif20140608_115430.jpgattachicon.gif20140608_115525.jpgattachicon.gif20140608_165640.jpgattachicon.gif20140608_165608.jpgattachicon.gif20140608_163503.jpgattachicon.gif20140608_122030.jpgattachicon.gif20140607_220930.jpg

Rey, you got to start making these commercially. People want a separate ps for the ADAM, and yours is looking great !!! ;-)

Great job on the power supply and I second ADAMcon's suggestion to open up shop! Although I'd want mine all tricked out with a matching paint job and replica ADAM label seeing as you brought those up in your post. ;)

Oh yeah, great find on that DB9 power cord.

Thanks guys. If people want one I'm willing to make them once this one is done. I'm still trying to really perfect this thing. Can't help it, it's in my nature :-)

There's definitely a market. I'm in for one when you're ready. Honestly, I already have a power supply pulled and crudely cased from the printer, but I'd like something a bit more professional and easier to move about.

There's definitely a market. I'm in for one when you're ready. Honestly, I already have a power supply pulled and crudely cased from the printer, but I'd like something a bit more professional and easier to move about.

I'm in the exact same situation. I bought a similar "homebrew" Adam power supply from Jibbajabba (I think that was his username here, or perhaps it's someone else with a similar username) some years ago, but when I used it with my Adam, the picture was all "wavy" on the TV screen and I felt that was really weird and I couldn't trust this power supply, so I returned it to the guy for a refund. I hope this one will work better...

I'll keep you guys updated. The plan is to make this available to those who need one.

Pixelboy, you have the F18a in your Adam or the original vdp? It shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the power supply but still, I would've loved to been able to save the chip for test purposes. I believe I've found these chips on eBay.

So far for me it's been flawless.

Edited by rey_1178
  • Like 1

Pixelboy, you have the F18a in your Adam or the original vdp? It shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the power supply but still, I would've loved to been able to save the chip for test purposes. I believe I've found these chips on eBay.

I got that homebrew Adam power supply several year ago, long before I ever heard of the F18A. I don't have the F18A in my Adam.

• 2 weeks later...