IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Power Supply

Rey

I regret to inform you all that due to some variations in revisions that coleco made to the ADAM boards, I'm pulling the plug on this project :( . Some ADAMS work just fine while others are having issues with video outputs. My ADAM happens to be one that works just fine and have other customers that have no issues. Yet I received the first report of a problem by another buyer which prompted me to purchase another working memory console. After much testing last night on that 2nd ADAM, I can't figure out why this is happening and why is it that no matter the printer, it works fine with ANY ADAM.

I am VERY disappointed and heart broken by all of this. I have already issued refunds to the last members that sent in payments. I will be in contact with anyone else having a problem and take care of them. It really bothers me that I can enjoy this piece in my private collection and yet not everyone else can! Thinking that maybe the reason was that I have an F18A installed in my ADAM but I have others that aren't having issues and they don't have an F18A installed even though the boards having issues would be fixed by installing the F18A. At the end it's the video output that's having issues, everything else works as it should.

This is a huge loss for me and most of the items I bought to take care of you guys I am now stuck with so am in the RED big time.

I want to apologize for disappointing you all. I was so confident by months of testing that I had a SUPER product on my hands and yet it never occurred to me to do some testing on another ADAM with an older revision of the mother board.

I am a perfectionist and I can't stress enough how much this is KILLING me! Feel like a failure,didn't sleep last night trying to figure this out only to fail over and over!!!

I may continue until the weekend testing some more but for now I'm putting this aside. Even though I do want to give up completely on this because of how upset I am, I know many of you having been begging to replace that behemoth of a printer only good as a power supply for a very long time now.

So sometime next year I promise you all to take a look at this one more time and figure out what the problem is. No matter how exact I adjusted the voltages of the new supply to match the voltages on the printer, it still has issues with video output.

If you have an F18A it is a guarantee my current supply WILL work. If you don't then you'll have to wait until I come up with a new solution. In fact I do have one that does work but it is a little bigger than the supply I was making now so what's the point. I think you all would agree that smaller is better and that is my goal.

Again my apologies. Having two ADAMS now with different revisions will make sure this mistake doesn't happen again!

Rey

So sorry to hear this as I know you put a lot of time, effort, money, etc. into this project. I would recommend contacting AtariAge member DJPUBBA to see if he can shed any light on this issue seeing as he converted and sold PC power supplies for a number of years to ADAM owners. I have one such unit powering my main system and will have to test it out on my other two systems.

It's not very common to find an ADAM with a revision lower than 80 anymore as most of the earlier revisions were returned or upgraded by Honeywell, but there may still be some floating around out there. Even in R80 systems, there are differences, but they mainly involve the ADAM Logic Board (cleaned things up such as removal of jumper wiring and reduced the number of chips required for SmartWriter) and not the CV Delta Board that contains the video.

I regret to inform you all that due to some variations in revisions that coleco made to the ADAM boards, I'm pulling the plug on this project :( . Some ADAMS work just fine while others are having issues with video outputs. My ADAM happens to be one that works just fine and have other customers that have no issues. Yet I received the first report of a problem by another buyer which prompted me to purchase another working memory console. After much testing last night on that 2nd ADAM, I can't figure out why this is happening and why is it that no matter the printer, it works fine with ANY ADAM.

I am VERY disappointed and heart broken by all of this. I have already issued refunds to the last members that sent in payments. I will be in contact with anyone else having a problem and take care of them. It really bothers me that I can enjoy this piece in my private collection and yet not everyone else can! Thinking that maybe the reason was that I have an F18A installed in my ADAM but I have others that aren't having issues and they don't have an F18A installed even though the boards having issues would be fixed by installing the F18A. At the end it's the video output that's having issues, everything else works as it should.

This is a huge loss for me and most of the items I bought to take care of you guys I am now stuck with so am in the RED big time.

I want to apologize for disappointing you all. I was so confident by months of testing that I had a SUPER product on my hands and yet it never occurred to me to do some testing on another ADAM with an older revision of the mother board.

I am a perfectionist and I can't stress enough how much this is KILLING me! Feel like a failure,didn't sleep last night trying to figure this out only to fail over and over!!!

I may continue until the weekend testing some more but for now I'm putting this aside. Even though I do want to give up completely on this because of how upset I am, I know many of you having been begging to replace that behemoth of a printer only good as a power supply for a very long time now.

So sometime next year I promise you all to take a look at this one more time and figure out what the problem is. No matter how exact I adjusted the voltages of the new supply to match the voltages on the printer, it still has issues with video output.

If you have an F18A it is a guarantee my current supply WILL work. If you don't then you'll have to wait until I come up with a new solution. In fact I do have one that does work but it is a little bigger than the supply I was making now so what's the point. I think you all would agree that smaller is better and that is my goal.

Again my apologies. Having two ADAMS now with different revisions will make sure this mistake doesn't happen again!

Rey

could it be the Amp of one of the supply that is too low cause if it work with the f18a dram work fine

just a quick tought

I'm hoping to have figured it out by the weekend and if so, will let you guys know what it was and fix the power supplies that went out for free. If not then I won't give up as many of you have told me in private but would have to set it aside for a few months. I have too much on my plate at the moment including a family member who's dying from stomach cancer and will be dealing with that soon enough.

today i had a little time off with my 3 kids so i did a little test witn a power supply and when i hook it up to the adam the 5v came 2.7 because the wire in the db9 cable is not big enough so i jump it with another bigger wire and 5v back maybe it can help you

i didnt have more time to test farder

Good news guys. Seems like the cable I've been using is too thin so i connected some solid copper wiring and now the old adam with the original composite video has been working great. Been playing all the ATARIMAX games on it and no issues so far. Definitely good news but now I need to figure out how to make my own cables. Since tomorrow I have the day off, I'll be shopping around to see what I can come up with. In the meantime, I will continue testing.

Enjoy the long weekend everyone.

Rey

Thanks chart45. Cable looks good but it would drive up the price which is high enough already. I'm trying to find a solution that'll take care of it and keep the cost down. Having a hard time doing so. Things I keep finding even though would get the job done, it's not good looking. I'll keep searching.

Edited by rey_1178

Well I bought a roll of 18 gauge 7 conductor cable. I would've liked the 22 Guage but the cable itself was ugly. This is just a regular black cable. Being 18 Guage solid copper you can imagine it's stiff but it takes care of the problem.

Later on I will update the pics. I'm not taking orders at the moment. I wanna take care of Bill and Luc. Once that's done then I can resume taking orders.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far so good. Have not found any other issues so soon we should be ready to resume this little project and put those gigantic printers away in a closet :)

That's great news Rey and I'm very glad that a solution has been found considering all the time and effort that you have put into this project. When you take care of the others, just shoot me a PM and I'll be ready to purchase one.

• Like 1