IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Power Supply

Rey

Thanks for your advises.

You can follow my simple guide to build one for about $20.00

Glen, did you realize it is a link to your video I quoted in the post that is just before yours :-).

I'm currently following this path but please note in the side of the Atlantic ocean Mean Well power supply cost in about twice the price you mentionned (about 35€ VAT included !), so the total cost for the PSU plus cable will be closer to 40€ !!

JihemB

Edited by JihemB
  • Like 1

OK. Thanks for letting me know.

Best wishes for recovery for Rey's familly.

In meantime, does someone has a B plan to suggest ?

JihemB

Thank you my friend. It's been awhile since I was on here. I appreciate the support and hope to be back and active sooner than later. Things still aren't great and am dealing with health issues myself. I especially wanted to thank dmcdream and TPR for their patience and understanding who have been waiting a long time for me to finish their mods due to this situation.

My hope is to have another run of these sometime this year after I finish with Rob and Allen.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone.

It took a while but I followed Glen's advises and video to cable a power supply from the Mean Well PSU.

I order the PSU on eBay from a UK supplier as a result the PSU itself costed me 33€ (about $38 today) including shipping.

I ran the Adam/Coleco for about 5 hours without any problem :-).

JihemB

Edited by JihemB
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/21/2015 at 11:01 PM, Rey said:

This is the final revision unless something comes up during the testing period. These will not be available for at least a month and a half or two. Aside from all the testing I've done, I have two members who will be testing these supplies to make sure there are ZERO issues.

This will be the last supply I put together for the ADAM and hope it's one that people will love even more than the one before.

-It is fan less and runs within specs. The ADAM disk drive gets much warmer than these supplies and they are made to run without a fan which is a plus!

-Very compact as you can see in the pics. Cables will be longer for placement flexibility.

-Case matches the ADAM and it's in my opinion very good looking.

-Case will be drilled for ventilation.

Take a look........

post-38875-0-76670500-1424577541_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-11625400-1424577550_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-40252200-1424577558_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I am very late to the game here, having just acquired a vaunted ADAM. And of course, the printer is causing a no-start. So, I wanted to poke my head in and see who if anyone was still providing the pre-mixed power supply for it? If not, then I can plan on kludging one together and wasting a lot of time 3D printing a case for it.

In the meantime, I was also in here looking to see how to disable the printer part, but those photos/videos links are now broken. Which connectors do I unplug? Thanks for your help!

8 hours ago, jdmccrigt said:

I am very late to the game here, having just acquired a vaunted ADAM. And of course, the printer is causing a no-start. So, I wanted to poke my head in and see who if anyone was still providing the pre-mixed power supply for it? If not, then I can plan on kludging one together and wasting a lot of time 3D printing a case for it.

In the meantime, I was also in here looking to see how to disable the printer part, but those photos/videos links are now broken. Which connectors do I unplug? Thanks for your help!

Check out this link for an ADAM Power Supply 8 Bit Milli Games Home page or check with Jim Walters on The Coleco ADAM Facebook page if you don't want to build one yourself.

It's been a long time since I've been under the hood of the ADAM Printer, but the easiest thing to do if you are not at all concerned with saving the printer part is to disassemble it and then disconnect any wiring running between the power supply section (located at the back/bottom of the printer case) from the Printer Logic Board PCB (located at the middle/right of the printer case). Then pull the power supply and cover with a piece of sheet metal if you want.

Thanks. Not a whole lot there, and power supplies are out of stock ($135 w ship, oof!). I was able to disconnect the power supply from the printer, so it will finish boot-up, but it has some other issues so DDP programs won't run until I get that drive repaired. Knowing that, a power supply isn't high priority. Right now it's a glorified CV, but I have time to concoct one as time permits...who knows, maybe sell.

10 hours ago, jdmccrigt said:

Thanks. Not a whole lot there, and power supplies are out of stock ($135 w ship, oof!). I was able to disconnect the power supply from the printer, so it will finish boot-up

Glad to help and hear that the system is now working albeit without a printer, but not a lot of use for the printer these days anyway.

You could also check eBay as Glen P. makes and sells power supplies with a 3D printed case, but yeah, price could be an issue as you state.

but it has some other issues so DDP programs won't run until I get that drive repaired.

While understandable to want to repair the Data Drive, one can use the ADAM fully without a working Data Drive but that would require the purchase of an ADE SD Drive (www.lundyelectronics.com) or a FujiNet SD Drive and the use of image files versus actual media (disks, data packs and cartridges).

Knowing that, a power supply isn't high priority. Right now it's a glorified CV, but I have time to concoct one as time permits...who knows, maybe sell.

With the proper skill set, it IS a lot cheaper to build your own power supply using a Mean Well power supply and an existing case to install it in. Videos on YouTube and tech info (www.adamarchive.org) are available to aid in this endeavor.