IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Power Supply

Rey

Will the information on how to build it ourselves be giving? I would be more interested in putting one together myself.

You will need to find an open frame mini atx supply. As small as you can find it to fit into an enclosure about 8x6x4. Make sure the supply has enough amps to power the ADAM correctly for +12v,+5v,-5v . You will probably not find a supply like this that gives you the -5v so you will need to solder on a L7905 VOLTAGE REGULATOR using the -12v output from the supply. Remove all the unnecessary wiring related to ATX supplies. I have not been able to find a supply with just a atx male port that gives me enough amps on the -12v line so I don't have to deal with getting rid of all the other wires. You will only need the 3 outputs I posted above and 2 lines for ground.

Do not use anything less than 22 AWG for wiring the supply to the ADAM! Get the smallest DB9 hood you can find and it will still need to be modified due to the enclosure of the ADAM. Even with a thicker cable you shouldn't make it too long or you'll run into issues related to current flow.

The enclosure will need to be drilled for ventilation and for a micro fan. I made these templates on the CNC machine I have at work which made this task easier. You'll want to have good ventilation to avoid any problems no matter how long you're running the supply. During testing I ran the supply at times for 24hrs straight and never encountered a problem with heat. There are pictures in this thread where you can see the holes drilled.

You will need to drill the bottom of the enclosure to attach the supply to it but leave a gap in between for air circulation. A ¼ of an inch is good enough.

I will post later on the amps needed for the voltages as I don't remember the exact numbers right now. For the illuminated rocker switch, you'll need to drill a 20mm hole and make sure to place it where it will NOT make contact with the frame of the supply. If you want to make things easier you could purchase a larger enclosure but personally I wanted to make this as small as possible. I would've made it smaller but the smaller supplies I find don't give me enough amps at the -12v line.

Hope this helps.

Will the information on how to build it ourselves be giving? I would be more interested in putting one together myself.

Just remembered there's a schematic on the first page of this thread that shows the amps supplied by the original printer. My supply exceeds those numbers. Make sure to at least meet those numbers when putting this together.

I have a lot of messages and will get to every one of you for sure. I just got home from the hospital, as some of you know my grandmother who yes is very old, is dying from stomach cancer.

I will get to you guys as soon as possible.

You will need to find an open frame mini atx supply. As small as you can find it to fit into an enclosure about 8x6x4. Make sure the supply has enough amps to power the ADAM correctly for +12v,+5v,-5v . You will probably not find a supply like this that gives you the -5v so you will need to solder on a L7905 VOLTAGE REGULATOR using the -12v output from the supply. Remove all the unnecessary wiring related to ATX supplies. I have not been able to find a supply with just a atx male port that gives me enough amps on the -12v line so I don't have to deal with getting rid of all the other wires. You will only need the 3 outputs I posted above and 2 lines for ground.

Do not use anything less than 22 AWG for wiring the supply to the ADAM! Get the smallest DB9 hood you can find and it will still need to be modified due to the enclosure of the ADAM. Even with a thicker cable you shouldn't make it too long or you'll run into issues related to current flow.

The enclosure will need to be drilled for ventilation and for a micro fan. I made these templates on the CNC machine I have at work which made this task easier. You'll want to have good ventilation to avoid any problems no matter how long you're running the supply. During testing I ran the supply at times for 24hrs straight and never encountered a problem with heat. There are pictures in this thread where you can see the holes drilled.

You will need to drill the bottom of the enclosure to attach the supply to it but leave a gap in between for air circulation. A ¼ of an inch is good enough.

I will post later on the amps needed for the voltages as I don't remember the exact numbers right now. For the illuminated rocker switch, you'll need to drill a 20mm hole and make sure to place it where it will NOT make contact with the frame of the supply. If you want to make things easier you could purchase a larger enclosure but personally I wanted to make this as small as possible. I would've made it smaller but the smaller supplies I find don't give me enough amps at the -12v line.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing. :)

• Like 1

I will be going in the order of payments received which I think is fair. I'll start in order and once I'm done with one and it ships I'll go to the next in line. Thanks guys.

1st - NIAD

2nd - Punishermark

you should check out these power supplies

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=C701iA%252bXzMyg1IZXO32qYg%3d%3d

this one meets the requirements and is only $29

+12v 2Amps

+ 5v 3.5Amps

- 5v .3Amps

and it's small form factor

5.02 in L x 3 in W 1.1in L

might be a better alternative to what your using already.

this is what I got from the adam tech manual.

6.4 Power Supply Output to CPU (via Printer/Memory Console Interface Cable)

Voltage Full Load Current +5V 2.75 A -5V 0.2 A +12VI 0.6 A +12VL 0.3 A

and I've also considered ordering this for my internal colecovision power supply.

Edited by mightywiz
  • Like 1

It is and I would love to use that but it would raise the cost of the supply which is already high and in return I'm not really making much from each of these. Also it's only a tad smaller than what I'm using now. Thank you for the link, I'll look at it some more as I'm always looking for ways to better anything I do.

found them on another website for $25.01 each.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70151770

and I would think that purchasing a powersupply complete would decrease your build time. cutting your cost to build it.

gotta be better then purchasing a power supply and then adding a 7905 regulator.

and are you filtering the 7905 regulator with a capacitor or just running it straight inline.

is the 7905 mounted on a heat sink? (that alone will increase the longevity of the 7905).

just wondering cause i'm considering ordering one from you.

sorry for bugging you, i'm just a nerdy component level repair tech throwing ideas at you.

Edited by mightywiz

Trust me I would love this option because as you said it would make things easier for me, way easier but what I'm doing is actually less expensive and not by just a few dollars. So even though it's much more work for me it is saving you guys money.

It is very tempting as I hadn't seen one like that with enough amps on the - 5v line.

I can crunch the numbers again as this would cut my build time but if I raise the price any further then no one will want it.

The 7905 is straight inline. I have the Heatsinks but turns out the chip never even gets warm in this setup. Even after over 24 hours of constant running, I'd grab the 7905 and it was still cold so I stop using them. I've made sure that's the case many times as I want these to last for years and years.

$(KGrHqFHJC0E7zF0mF,WBO8-Fp5(6g~~60_57.J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARCADE-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY-8-LINER-MULTICADE-/120966942326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a310e76

Price:

US $17.95

Input voltage:

• 110v /220v

Output voltage:

• 12v dc 2.5amps
  • 5v dc 15amps
  • -5v dc 1 amp

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40&_nkw=arcade+switching+power+supply&_sop=15

http://Happ 15 AMP Switching Power Supply Arcade Multicade 8 Liner Games

Price:

US $23.49 +5v 15A, +12v 2A, -5v 1A, 110 watts

$(KGrHqFHJC0E7zF0mF,WBO8-Fp5(6g~~60_57.J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARCADE-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY-8-LINER-MULTICADE-/120966942326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a310e76

Price:

US $17.95

Input voltage:

• 110v /220v

Output voltage:

• 12v dc 2.5amps
  • 5v dc 15amps
  • -5v dc 1 amp

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40&_nkw=arcade+switching+power+supply&_sop=15

http://Happ 15 AMP Switching Power Supply Arcade Multicade 8 Liner Games

Price:

US $23.49 +5v 15A, +12v 2A, -5v 1A, 110 watts

those are full size arcade machine power supplies, I used to work as a tech for a vending outfit and installed hundreds of those.....lol

• Like 1

I received my ADAM Power Supply from Rey in record time and very well packaged. I couldn't be happier with the P.S., the price of the unit and all the communication Rey provided throughout the process.

The unit comes housed in a new plastic hobby case that has had some extra vent holes drilled into it, a very nice ADAM replica sticker, the internal fan runs very quietly and it is small enough to place in the tight spot were I had my other P.S. that was made by DJPUBBA. While it would have been nice to have a case that matches the ADAM's color scheme, it's not the end of the world especially since it's hidden away from view and the main thing is it works/powers the system perfectly.

Money well spent... thanks Rey!

• Like 2

Thank you my friend! Glad you're happy with your new ADAM supply.

For a short period I will not be taking further orders. After I finish with eebuckeye's supply, I plan to make a few revisions. These revisions will make putting these together less time consuming and hopefully I'll be able to keep things in the same price range.

Thank you for your support in this hobby of mine :-)

I will post future updates soon......

Rey