IGNORED

In search of a reliable third party C64 power adapter

I'm looking for a reliable C64 power brick (more reliable than the stock C64 power brick) that runs cooler.

A couple of guys on ebay sell custom C64 power adapters with a limited warranty (hopefully without blowing out the system) and there are some third-party brands from the 1980's.

What would you C64 hobbyists recommend?

Thanks.

I have one of these that I originally purchased new in the late 1980's that's still going strong. Highly recommended, but not for $80-$100 + shipping.

There's someone that's been selling homemade C64 power supplies on eBay, but they look kinda sketchy. I personally wouldn't trust using them, but maybe someone else has and could chime in?

If you're handy you can take a C128 power supply and replace the original tip with the 7-pin DIN used by the C64. I just did this today and it's just about the best PSU out there for the C64 save for most of the modern replacements.

I did this as well, but I drilled a hole in the casing and brought another set of wires out so that I could use it as a C64 or C128 PSU (but obviously not at the same time). I've been using mine for 5 years and never had an issue with it, other than a blown fuse once or twice.

I'm looking for a reliable C64 power brick (more reliable than the stock C64 power brick) that runs cooler.

A couple of guys on ebay sell custom C64 power adapters with a limited warranty (hopefully without blowing out the system) and there are some third-party brands from the 1980's.

Thanks.

These are not really the cheapest option out there, but I have had one for a little while now and it works great! I use it for both my Commodore 64 and 128 (with a $15 adapter) http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/universal%20ps/

Ray Carlsen used to be a repair tech for Commodore computers as I understand it and still does repairs, at least part time to this day. It's a quality device (switching power supply). Built-in is one of his "Computer Saver" circuits that cuts off the +5 v if there is a spike at any point. It's pricey, but if you value your hardware, I think it's worth the cost rather than using a 29+ year old power supply.

Another option is to find one of the heavy duty supplies sold with the 1764 REU. These are as good as the 128 suppllies.

If you go third party, avoid those by BasicWayne. Read this thread for more info: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45543&start=0

Prior to the Ray Carlsen supply I purchased, I used one of these as well. It still works great! Also, there is a seller on eBay that makes an adapter so you can use a 128 power supply on the 64. You really want to use a switching power supply vs a linear supply as supplied with the original C64. The "heavy duty" that was supplied with the REU along with the 128 power supplies are both switchers.

• 1 month later...

external powered USB hub usually have 5v DC 2.5A or more, and Atari 2600 or Nintendo NES for the AC output. It does need to be AC, a square wave DC with a small transformer to convert that to AC doesn't work at all, people tried and failed. It had to be AC all the way from original 110/220v source.

• Like 1

external powered USB hub usually have 5v DC 2.5A or more, and Atari 2600 or Nintendo NES for the AC output. It does need to be AC, a square wave DC with a small transformer to convert that to AC doesn't work at all, people tried and failed. It had to be AC all the way from original 110/220v source.

I agree- if it originally takes AC, I don't mess with it - I just get AC again!

I've been going to the thrift stores and rummaging in the wires and cords bin. I'm finding 5VDC 2+ Amps, but the 9VAC ones are a little tougher to find - at least here in FL.

Edited by TheRealAnubis

I agree- if it originally takes AC, I don't mess with it - I just get AC again!

Actually in some cases you can safely use a DC PSU, such as the NES or Sears Video Arcade II. The C64 actually does require 9V AC in addition to 5V DC since it's used for the SID chip and user port (on some C64s it's also used in the video circuitry).

As mentioned, the Commodore 128 power supply is great, and reliable - compared to the "ribbed" C64 power supply that'll eventually take out your machine. The trouble is (of course) the connector is wrong. This guy on ebay sells a nifty adaptor ($25 plus shipping) that makes using a C128 power supply a plug-in affair....

post-16281-0-92806900-1404841700_thumb.jpg

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3809445467211?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=380944546721&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

However, that same guy sells a replacement C64 power supply for only a little more money ($29 plus shipping). I have no experience with this particular power supply at all, but I have bought other things from this Ebay seller (basicwayne) and he's really great with his Commodore stuff that I have bought. Currently, there's no listing for this power supply (sold out) but he usually makes more and relists....

post-16281-0-51427200-1404841894_thumb.jpg

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3012290736661?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=301229073666&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Sometimes you see "Phoenix" or sometimes "Estes" branded CPS-10 aftermarket power supplies....

post-16281-0-00369500-1404843679_thumb.jpg

I have one of these in a box somewhere (haven't seen it in a while) and it works great.

I don't understand how that other guy (previously mentioned in the thread) can sell a replacement power supply for $100; he must be socking away a lot of profit.

I don't understand how that other guy (previously mentioned in the thread) can sell a replacement power supply for $100; he must be socking away a lot of profit.

As far as I know, he uses only top quality parts and hand builds and tests them. I'd consider anything Ray makes and sells as the Cadillac of Commodore items. If you want the very best, made in the USA by a pro, then you buy his stuff!

This is just my opinion, as I've dealt with Ray on several occasions and he's a great guy and absolutely knows his stuff.

• 1 year later...

http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/physical-object/2008/09/102688712.01.01.lg.JPG

I use one of these. It's rebuildable and been working over 20 years now.

I stumbled upon this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201419203917?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It seems it has some differences with yours. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Ray Carlsen makes some of the best you could buy, but they are expensive. He does make a cheap line: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/universal_ps/C128%20&%20C64/BARE%20BONES%20PS.jpg But for this idea, I would suggest making your own.

Another option is find a Commodore 1764 PSU - I use one of these, and they are great! or, find a C-128 PSU and either splice on the C-64 cable, or buy an adapter.

I would not buy the Basic Wayne type of PSU from ebay. I would not trust them.

• 1 month later...

Ray Carlsen makes some of the best you could buy, but they are expensive. He does make a cheap line: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/universal_ps/C128%20&%20C64/BARE%20BONES%20PS.jpg But for this idea, I would suggest making your own.

Another option is find a Commodore 1764 PSU - I use one of these, and they are great! or, find a C-128 PSU and either splice on the C-64 cable, or buy an adapter.

I would not buy the Basic Wayne type of PSU from ebay. I would not trust them.

I would recommend to get one from Ray Carlsen. In fact, he also offers now the cheap option: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/universal_ps/C128%20&%20C64/BARE%20BONES%20PS.jpg

I bought one of these and it works just fine. Also, Ray was very kind answering my questions; his commitment is remarkable.