IGNORED

Atari Touch me handheld game

Yup, I've still got one (within arm's reach, in fact). I replaced the original all-red LEDs with LEDs that match the colors of the squares, which was a bit of an improvement, but the blue LED that I put in is a clear ultra-bright that really knocks your eyes out when it lights up, so I need to put in a different one. It's a fun little game, and my niece and nephew still like playing it sometimes, but I never really play any of the game variations other than the first. "Touch Me" was originally a 1974 Atari coin-op, and yes, it pre-dated Simon by several years. Later handheld games took the basic "Touch Me" concept and refined it a bit; Simon is the best-known example, but there were also games like Pocket Repeat by Tiger (sold by Radio Shack), which was another favorite of mine.

• Like 1

I have one, but it's missing the battery door. I don't remember when or where I bought it, but it was likely from a Goodwill in the early-to-mid 90's when one could buy such a thing for $1 or $2.

It's packed away in the same box as the rest of my handheld electronic games, including my Mattel Dungeons & Dragons, that I've been wanting to play lately. I need to go dig it out...

I or one of my brothers had one of these. I loved that it was blatantly just a calculator case, right down to the buttons. Somehow (probably because we were a blended family) we had both this and Pocket Simon, and I think I still have Pocket Simon in my garage somewhere, but have no idea where this ended up. It sat with no battery in the same junk drawer in our kitchen for at least 20 years.

I saw these constantly as a kid but it never intrigued me enough to get one.. 'Course once the Simon craze hit I did get one of those (Simon). . Go figure.

"Simon" is a good name for a product. "Touch Me" is not. :)

• Like 2

Atari wants all the kids to "touch me." Touch me device sold in a van down by the river, batteries sold separately.

The missing battery door- I wonder if you could have something like that 3d printed. That's the future of missing vintage video gaming components right there! 3D print me some missing parts!!

• Like 1

Atari wants all the kids to "touch me." Touch me device sold in a van down by the river, batteries sold separately.

The missing battery door- I wonder if you could have something like that 3d printed. That's the future of missing vintage video gaming components right there! 3D print me some missing parts!!

It's certainly going to be the way to get the 30 year overdue 7800 ProLine Joystick Coupler out of the ether and into enthusiasts hands!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone remember the Atari touch me hand held game?? It used about 4 or 6 AA batteries, and competed with Simon Says by Ralph Baer.

Actually Ralph Baer's game was just called SIMON, and still is today as a matter of fact

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simon-Game-Milton-Bradley-1978-Memory-Builder-/281777792523?hash=item419b43e60b

Only compared to the one above it's designed very differently than it's grandfather :P

• 3 weeks later...