IGNORED

I have a SATANDISK on the way

OK, Ive found a satandisk at a low price now I can get a way from the old SCSI drives that take up all my desk space, now I could just drop and drag the files I want to the SDcard or do I have use the old floppy disk to install all my programs?

Congrats. The Satandisk is so easy to use. Are you getting the original SatanDisk or the UltraSatan?

This thread over at Atari-forum will help you get your SD card setup.

http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15764

The key for easy data transfer is TOS/DOS compatible partitioning and driver. That linked thread is little messy, and there are some incorrect statements, so, need to sort out all it.

With TOS/DOS compatible partitioning you may direct access SD card under DOS, Windows, Linux - when attach to PC via card reader. So, can do all transfers with Total Commander for instance. Most important is to avoid Windows Long file names, so keep 8.3 capital letter filenames.

Just a warning about Satandisk speed: it is about 150 KB/sec, so pretty low for hard disk standards. Some SW may not like it, but majority will work fine, just with little longer loading times, still much faster (and more reliable) than floppy.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

Thanks, it's just a SatanDisk.

SatanDisk is cool. It works really well. Yes, some games and demos won't work properly because of its speed.

Still, when I used mine, before I had an UltraSatan, I was more than happy with it.

Here is a (crappy) video of my SatanDisk. :) You will see it loads things just fine, even being slow compared to UltraSatan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KgPqbF6vE

That's odd that some games won't run with the SatanDisk, I'll just use floppy version of the game or keep one my old hard drives out just for those games. There's no fixing that? Is there a list of games that won't run with the SatanDisk?

Edited by walter_J64bit

That's odd that some games won't run with the SatanDisk, I'll just use floppy version of the game or keep one my old hard drives out just for those games. There's no fixing that? Is there a list of games that won't run with the SatanDisk?

I think you should not have any troubles with games. I think PP did a racing game patch that had video in the intro. Probably SatanDisk is too slow for that.

I know the STe demo DRONE needs an UltraSatan to work properly. Along with the UltraSatan, the SD card used needs to be fast too.

I wouldn't sweat it. You will enjoy your SatanDisk. :thumbsup:

I said "some SW" and not some games. Games will work fine. What will not are few demos, movie playback and some recording SW for instance.

I wish I could find my SatanDisk.

From what I've learned through replacing spinning rust with Compact Flash on my Falcon030, the key to easy Windows/Mac OS access is to use the 'swap byte order' option in HDDriver... the only problem is TOS can't boot from byte-order-swapped partitions, and I haven't found a way to mix and match (C: normal, D; E: and E: byte-swapped for example). You can boot off a floppy with HDDriver in the AUTO folder, or other mass storage device if you have one, and gain access to the byte-swapped volumes after boot.

If you haven't already, please purchase HDDriver immediately. It's only EUR44 and it's worth every cent. It may also be the last piece of commercially available TOS software with active vendor support (my copy has a 2014 copyright date!) http://hddriver.seimet.de

From what I've learned through replacing spinning rust with Compact Flash on my Falcon030, the key to easy Windows/Mac OS access is to use the 'swap byte order' option in HDDriver... the only problem is TOS can't boot from byte-order-swapped partitions, and I haven't found a way to mix and match (C: normal, D; E: and E: byte-swapped for example). You can boot off a floppy with HDDriver in the AUTO folder, or other mass storage device if you have one, and gain access to the byte-swapped volumes after boot.

If you haven't already, please purchase HDDriver immediately. It's only EUR44 and it's worth every cent. It may also be the last piece of commercially available TOS software with active vendor support (my copy has a 2014 copyright date!) http://hddriver.seimet.de

Byte swap is interesting only in case of IDE drives, since they use 16-bit data bus. In case of Satan, UltraSatan on ACSI port no byte swap - it is 8-bit bus.

TOS can boot from byte swapped partition - as it does in case of my driver http://atari.8bitchip.info/IDEDUD91.ZIP

Limitation is in Hddriver and not TOS . There is still some other commercial SW for Ataris, and not only hard disk drivers.

Byte swap is interesting only in case of IDE drives, since they use 16-bit data bus. In case of Satan, UltraSatan on ACSI port no byte swap - it is 8-bit bus.

TOS can boot from byte swapped partition - as it does in case of my driver http://atari.8bitchip.info/IDEDUD91.ZIP

Limitation is in Hddriver and not TOS . There is still some other commercial SW for Ataris, and not only hard disk drivers.

Thank you for this! I think I knew that byte swap only applied to volumes on IDE interfaces, but I forgot it as I'm only using IDE at the moment (I've tried half a dozen SCSI and SCSI II drives, with SCSI II and SCSI - SCSI II cables, and all sorts of termination options...but I just can't get them to mount. I've done it before, so I know I'm not too dumb to work it out, but for the time being it's beyond my abilities).

My Falcon doesn't seem to be able to load hddriver.sys from a byte-swapped C: partition! I interpreted that as a failure of TOS 4.02, if the volume is byte-swapped, wouldn't it have trouble loading the driver because it can't read it at the XBIOS level? I'm very happy to be told how wrong I've got all this! I'm going to have to get a second CF-IDE adaptor and keep a byte-swapped CF card for transferring data to / from my Macintosh.

I've seen your website a few times, and found the content very interesting. I'd love to know what other commercial TOS software is still in active development and support, but I'm not going to ask you for a list, I can probably find out myself :) I believe Papyrus is still available, but not for TOS; same with Calamus? (I have a licensed copy of Calamus SL and it's a fearsome application)

Thanks but no thanks 44 eur = 66. USD :sad: that's a premium I'm not going to pay for software that I might use once or twice. ;)

Thanks but no thanks 44 eur = 66. USD :sad: that's a premium I'm not going to pay for software that I might use once or twice. ;)

That's fair enough... I use it every time my Falcon boots... I did think initially that it was quite expensive just to get the Satandisk working but I've found it to be far, far more useful than just that. If you won't get the use out of it that's fine.

PP's Driver is 10 Euros, I was exactly the same, not paying 44 Euros for something that will only be occasionally used. The thing with HDDriver is that it supports a lot more devices like CD etc hence the higher premium, PP's driver literally does what it says on the tin, it is for setting up the SD card as a hard drive.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php

His contact details are at the bottom of his site page :

http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php#Mail

Or send him a message here - ParanoidLittleMan

Partitioner is what you use only ocasionaly. Driver is used every time when you turn on machine with hard disk or Flash card attached on. And 2 things are tied pretty much, especially in case of TOS/DOS compatible partitioning. That means little more things in driver than in case of ordinary TOS compatible driver.

In any case, there are free solutions - without TOS/DOS compatibility.

Partitioner is what you use only ocasionaly. Driver is used every time when you turn on machine with hard disk or Flash card attached on. And 2 things are tied pretty much, especially in case of TOS/DOS compatible partitioning. That means little more things in driver than in case of ordinary TOS compatible driver.

In any case, there are free solutions - without TOS/DOS compatibility.

Is there a free solution for SatanDisk? ICD Pro doesn't see the device, unless I was doing something wrong....(possible)

ICD Pro does work with UltraSatan, but Jookie's pages list nothing of ICD on his SatanDisk page. Only HDDriver.

Of course, recently, your driver also has a SatanDisk version.

Is there a free solution for SatanDisk? ICD Pro doesn't see the device, unless I was doing something wrong....(possible)

ICD Pro does work with UltraSatan, but Jookie's pages list nothing of ICD on his SatanDisk page. Only HDDriver.

Of course, recently, your driver also has a SatanDisk version.

I get the same here the ICD drivers doesn't see the SatanDisk unless someone patches ICD drivers to work with the SatanDisk, I like to know about the free solutions too. Edited by walter_J64bit

There is AHDI which is the original Atari ST hard disk driver :

http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php?title=AHDI

The thing is though you will need DOS/TOS compatible partitions, using AHDI you won't be able to see the partitions on your PC or whatever you use, same goes for ICD Pro. So then you will have an issue with transferring the various files / games over to the TOS formatted card.

I went through all of this earlier this year and the free solutions are no good if you are wanting to be able to use a PC for the file transfer once the drive is setup on your ST. You need to use either PPera Hard Disk driver or HDDriver so it is DOS/TOS Compatible.

In the end I just bought PP's driver and it has worked great for me.

There is AHDI which is the original Atari ST hard disk driver :

http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php?title=AHDI

The thing is though you will need DOS/TOS compatible partitions, using AHDI you won't be able to see the partitions on your PC or whatever you use, same goes for ICD Pro. So then you will have an issue with transferring the various files / games over to the TOS formatted card.

I went through all of this earlier this year and the free solutions are no good if you are wanting to be able to use a PC for the file transfer once the drive is setup on your ST. You need to use either PPera Hard Disk driver or HDDriver so it is DOS/TOS Compatible.

In the end I just bought PP's driver and it has worked great for me.

I've emailed PP but I'm waiting for a him to email me back so I'll just poke around with this Atari driver just see what I can do with it. :) thank's! Edited by walter_J64bit