IGNORED

Atari CED In-House Promo - Second Quarter 1983

Tempest

EDIT: I'm changing this to a discussion of all the weird stuff in this video: http://www.atarimania.com/videos/atari_in_house%20promo_2nd_quarter_1983_documentory.flv

A few years ago someone posted a screenshot from an Atari promo video that showed a previously unknown 5200 game. My memory is VERY fuzzy on what it looked like, but IIRC it had a bunch of doors or windows in a grid or something and one had a alien or creature in it. Does anyone remember this or where the screenshot came from?

That's it! Anyone have a lead on what this could be? I'm at a total loss here.

No idea, but the same video at 7:50 also shows a couple of really quick glimpses of some arch or cave-looking thing with blue on the upper portion of the screen, and I don't know what it's supposed to be. They're probably not related. After watching video of that game at 10:21 in the clip, I'd agree that it looks like some sort of shooting gallery game.

Whoa! I need to look through this video sometime. Check out what I assume is 2600 Xevious at 2:39. It's completely different than the prototype that's out there. Unfortunately I don't have sound here at work so I can't hear what the guy is saying. I'm also curious as to who is talking during Black Belt (once again no sound here) since it's one of my favorite 5200 prototypes. It looks like the slightly earlier version of the game since the candles don't have flames in them yet. Also, Xari Arena is known simply as Xari at this point and is the earlier version.

I don't think that unknown 5200 game is a light gun game. Look at the way the target sight moves around. It looks like it's being controlled by a joystick.

I just noticed that Pengo must be a way early prototype as the HUD is completely different and has some debugging info going on. I think Sport Goofy might be earlier as well. The first time they show Pac-Man I think it might be an earlier prototype because I'm not seeing Pac-Man's mouth move, but that might just be crappy video.