IGNORED

Coleco ADAM convention for 2014

adamcon

I tried emailing you from that page and it bounced...how much are the day fees? I have a friend who lives just a short distance from that hotel and he'd like to come to the event.

For those who are following and are interested in the Coleco ADAM/ColecoVision annual convention, the registration has now been posted.

http://rinette.cwru.edu/~drushel/adamcon26/ Will take place Jul 17th thru the 20th (Thurs eve thru Sun eve) in Cleveland, OH

I tried emailing you from that page and it bounced...how much are the day fees? I have a friend who lives just a short distance from that hotel and he'd like to come to the event.

Hmmm Joe, don't understand about the email bounce, it is Rich Drushels page not mine. Anyway once at the page there is a registration link highlighted with the form. Day pass is $40 ( http://rinette.cwru.edu/~drushel/adamcon26/ac26register.pdf ) I sent Rich a message from that page, will see if it bounces from my end.

Hi Joe, I looked at all the mailto: links and they have the correct E-mail address, rfd@cwru.edu. AFAIK CWRU is not blocking E-mails from any sites. If you were trying it from a link within the registration form PDF, that is an experiment...

The registration form PDF has all the day pass rates in it. Friday and Saturday it's $40, Sunday depends on if you are attending sessions-only, sessions+banquet, or banquet-only. Day passes include any meals that the convention is providing on that day (currently breakfast each day, lunch Friday and Saturday).

*Dr. D.*

Edited by Dr. D.

Sorry...I wasn't paying attention...I just clicked on the email link there and sent a message asking about day fees nd it came back saying:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 115 second(s):

* rfd@***** (email edited to protect the innocent)

Thanks for the day fee info...I will pass it on...

Hmmm Joe, don't understand about the email bounce, it is Rich Drushels page not mine. Anyway once at the page there is a registration link highlighted with the form. Day pass is $40 ( http://rinette.cwru.edu/~drushel/adamcon26/ac26register.pdf ) I sent Rich a message from that page, will see if it bounces from my end.

Edited by jblenkle

• 3 weeks later...

I do believe I may go to this!

If you (or anyone else) want to attend ADAMcon 26, the deadline for guaranteed rooms is technically tomorrow (Wednesday, 6/18/2014). So, if you are thinking of attending, either full delegate (staying at the hotel) or by day pass (staying elsewhere), please let me know ASAP! Full details (pricing, hotel directions, T-shirt design) are available on the convention website at:

http://drushel.cwru.edu/~drushel/adamcon26/

We'd love to see you there!

*Dr. D.* (ADAMcon 26 chair)

• 4 weeks later...

It is still not too late to attend ADAMcon 26 :) (17-20 July 2014, starts 3 days from this writing) The hotel even still has rooms available at the convention rate. If you are in the Cleveland area, you can save some $$$ by attending via day pass.

I have posted the preliminary session schedule PDF and some delegate information to the convention website.

If you can't come, there will probably be brief daily summaries posted to the website, once we get started, if you want to follow along. At least some of the regulars here have been to previous ADAMcons; we miss you :_(

*Dr. D.*

looks interesting. Try to record something for youtube. yiy might want to discuss more virtual attendance inyout=r upcoming adamcon format discussion.

are you guys having a chat tonight? or on the weekend?

Thanks

It is still not too late to attend ADAMcon 26 :) (17-20 July 2014, starts 3 days from this writing) The hotel even still has rooms available at the convention rate. If you are in the Cleveland area, you can save some $$$ by attending via day pass.

I have posted the preliminary session schedule PDF and some delegate information to the convention website.

If you can't come, there will probably be brief daily summaries posted to the website, once we get started, if you want to follow along. At least some of the regulars here have been to previous ADAMcons; we miss you :_(

*Dr. D.*

looks interesting. Try to record something for youtube.

For sure, the LEGO robot stuff Saturday afternoon will be recorded. I just found the VHS tape from the ADAMcon XXIII LEGO robot stuff and am getting it digitized. Some people will have PowerPoint presentations that can be posted, though the files will lack the narration. Daniel Bienvenu has recorded some sessions for us in the past.

you might want to discuss more virtual attendance in your upcoming adamcon format discussion.

It's on the table, certainly. In the past, people unable to attend in person have sent PowerPoint presentations to be fronted by someone else, or pre-recorded video presentations (I did this at ADAMcon 10). Some years, there has been a live video feed available; still not sure if that will be possible this time. The only problem that I forsee with extensive "virtual attendance" is that many people will lurk for free but not pay to actually attend, which does not help to produce an actual convention. In the past, "virtual" presentations have been by longtime attendees who for one reason or another couldn't make it in person that year. Most people in that situation have also made some small $$$ donation to help with production costs.

I will be happy to raise any issues that readers here would like us to address; just let me know.

are you guys having a chat tonight? or on the weekend?

There will be a Wednesday-night chat as usual (9:00 PM EDT), plus the traditional 9:00 PM EDT convention chat on Saturday. The current chat server (Spaniel Chat) uses an old Java application that modern OSes view as insecure and thus block by default, and it is very difficult if not impossible to figure out what security settings to temporarily disable. That is why many past chat visitors have quit coming, it is too onerous to enable the current chat client.

I need to have some other substitute for this in place by Saturday. There are a number of freebie options but I have not had time to explore them. Actually, if someone could recommend a multiuser chat that logs the conversations, that would be great!

*Dr. D.*

No offense intended, but some of us can't afford to travel 2,300 miles (the distance from where I live) and pay hundreds of dollars in convention fees. I have been with ADAM from day one, but "lurking for free" would be the only way I could ever attend an AdamCon.

The only problem that I forsee with extensive "virtual attendance" is that many people will lurk for free but not pay to actually attend, which does not help to produce an actual convention.

*Dr. D.*

No offense intended, but some of us can't afford to travel 2,300 miles (the distance from where I live) and pay hundreds of dollars in convention fees. I have been with ADAM from day one, but "lurking for free" would be the only way I could ever attend an AdamCon.

This is certainly an issue. The conventions have been in the Great Lakes region recently simply because the remaining regular ADAMcon attendees have been from there, and someone has to agree to front the convention in their home city, and you need a minimum attendance to make it financially worthwhile. In the first decade or so of ADAMcons, there was more geographic variation (Seattle WA, Komox BC, Sarasota FL, Orlando FL, Salt Lake City UT, El Paso TX) because there were people with significant local user groups there willing to put on the convention. I have paid my share of hundreds/thousands of dollars in travel fees on top of delegate fees to attend, but I myself have missed 4 of the last 9 ADAMcons due to finances and schedule conflicts.

One future option is to pick someplace that "enough" people are willing to travel to, regardless of where people actually live, go there, and have an ADAMcon. I personally miss the more distant ADAMcons, even though they were harder to get to from Cleveland.

There are many meaningful ways to contribute to ADAMcons without being able to attend. Hopefully we can explore some of these and make people aware of them, so that future ADAMcons can be more inclusive. We just work with what we have. If you see something that you would like to have, let us know.

Thanks for your comments!

*Dr. D.*

I live in the area and might be able to stop in for a couple hours on Sunday. Do I need to give advanced notice if I'll not be eating or staying there?

Hello, sorry for not seeing this until today.

We will be here in the Huron Room (downstairs from the lobby) on Sunday afternoon 2:00 PM to about 5:00 PM, if you want to stop by. The current agenda has been posted to the convention website. Stop at the front desk and ask them to point you to ADAMcon 26. Hope to see you here if you can stop by.

*Dr. D.*

I have updated the AdamCon.org website with a link to the official AC26 website. Also, I've experimentally added an HTML based Chat client at

http://www.adamcon.org/chat/

so go to AdamCon.org at 9pm tonight for the traditional Adam chat.

I just logged on (no password required) and it seems to work fine, for me at least. :)

I just may drop by tonight at 9PM! :D

The new experimental chat server sort of worked, but it isn't the same robustness as SpanielChat. So I'll keep looking. I will try IRC next I expect. It would offer lots of choices of clients. So that could be good at least.

Okay so, if you want to try my continuing experiment for a new web chat server for AdamCon.org, tonight I have an experimental IRC chat server based on irc.freenode.net in my channel #retroemu. So just head over to:

http://www.adamcon.org/chat/

and transitionally I'll have the Java based chat server at the usual

http://www.adamcon.org/~dmwick/chat/

until I pick a permanent replacement. Chat is tonight 9pm to 11pm EST (GMT-0500).

Edited by hardhat