IGNORED

3 in 1 RASMUS scrolling games - solid state cartridges available NOW

You know, I hope whomever owns the mold for these cartridges will someday consider making a run of 'smoked black' cartridges. Just dark enough to match the console, but transparent enough to see the goodies inside. :)

There are so many new "Uber Carts" coming out that it would be nice to see the workmanship inside. Also, could you imagine how classy a smoked black Super Cart would look with an internal LED?

Sometimes the little things stand out.

No it is the 3 in 1 cartridge, of course a 4 in 1 would have been even better. :-)

I know. This is just a long-running (read as: beating a dead horse) thing for me. I was hoping to find it in the 3-in-1 as a surprise. Eventually I expect to pick up the stand-alone cartridge for it (Ciro's labels look really nice and Lee and the boys put good work into those boards,) but that is not going to pass through the accounting department just yet.

• Like 1

I know. This is just a long-running (read as: beating a dead horse) thing for me. I was hoping to find it in the 3-in-1 as a surprise. Eventually I expect to pick up the stand-alone cartridge for it (Ciro's labels look really nice and Lee and the boys put good work into those boards,) but that is not going to pass through the accounting department just yet.

Is someone selling Flappy Bird on cartridge?

Kevan-you do know that I am the one with those molds. . . and that I only have black plastic at the moment. . .sent from Izmir Turkey.

Actually... I was unaware that you were the guy that had so many peoples hopes & dreams in the palm of his hands! :grin:

If you ever get around to making a semi-transparent series, please let me know.

• Like 1

Of course Roli--although I plan to make some new molds using the three-screw cases Acadiel developed.

That´s awesome! :-)

I would like to make a short video regarding the transparent shell I used, so may I ask you some questions about that as I want to tell my viewers about the story behind it?:

I got my shell from eBay from a seller in the US.

The description text for this auction said that the mold was made for a client, along with a test casting in black that went with the mold. He claimed it is the only clear blue TI computer cartridge shell in existence unless the owner of the mold decides to cast some. He also said he does not have the mold so he can't make more nor is he interested in making another mold.

So may I ask if that client he mentioned was you, or did you get the mold much later from someone else?

The new TI-99 cartridges will then look differently with 3 screws instead of 1 as you will use another new mold, correct?

WIll you produce also other cartridge shells for other systems than the TI-99?

Edited by vectrexroli

• 3 weeks later...

Roli, I was the client that commissioned the original set of molds. I used them to make a set of master molds that I could use to make as many additional mold sets as I wanted (and to gain experience with the materials). I've also done a few cartridge cases with the original molds and plan to make an additional mold set using my master molds shortly so that I'll have two sets of standard molds (this will allow me to make cartridge cases a bit faster as I can then alternate sets of molds). This step is a necessity because it will also give me some experience with the urethane rubber used for the molds--something I'll need to have experience with before making the new 3-screw case molds.

The process is a bit intensive, as it requires a metal pressure vessel capable of sustaining 45-60 pounds of air pressure (3-4 atmospheres). I have one of them, and each casting requires about 30-45 minutes in the pressure vessel, so making cases is a slow process (I can make all three parts of the case in a single casting run by taping the molds together for insertion into the pressure vessel). It also requires a compressor to provide the pressure, along with quite a few fittings, valves, and gauges. It took me some time to get everything I needed--and an initial inestment in fabrication materials as well. All told, I've spent close to $800 to set this up as I had none of the needed infrastructure or fabrication materials when I started--but the costs to expand it to additional molds is relatively low, as I now have all of the heavy infrastructure in place (although I may spend another $200 to build a second pressure vessel to speed up the process once I have additional molds finished). I'll probaly try to get a larger vessel this time, as the one I have is "just" large enough for the molds I have now.

• Like 2

Roli, I was the client that commissioned the original set of molds. I used them to make a set of master molds that I could use to make as many additional mold sets as I wanted (and to gain experience with the materials). I've also done a few cartridge cases with the original molds and plan to make an additional mold set using my master molds shortly so that I'll have two sets of standard molds (this will allow me to make cartridge cases a bit faster as I can then alternate sets of molds). This step is a necessity because it will also give me some experience with the urethane rubber used for the molds--something I'll need to have experience with before making the new 3-screw case molds.

The process is a bit intensive, as it requires a metal pressure vessel capable of sustaining 45-60 pounds of air pressure (3-4 atmospheres). I have one of them, and each casting requires about 30-45 minutes in the pressure vessel, so making cases is a slow process (I can make all three parts of the case in a single casting run by taping the molds together for insertion into the pressure vessel). It also requires a compressor to provide the pressure, along with quite a few fittings, valves, and gauges. It took me some time to get everything I needed--and an initial inestment in fabrication materials as well. All told, I've spent close to $800 to set this up as I had none of the needed infrastructure or fabrication materials when I started--but the costs to expand it to additional molds is relatively low, as I now have all of the heavy infrastructure in place (although I may spend another $200 to build a second pressure vessel to speed up the process once I have additional molds finished). I'll probaly try to get a larger vessel this time, as the one I have is "just" large enough for the molds I have now.

Thanks for letting me/us know, I was really curious about the whole thing. ;-)

I would like to buy one if these, please. Still learning to solder, so I am at the mercy of the hardware guys. But I can assemble a cart/provide my own shell.

Darryl

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225936-3-in-1-rasmus-scrolling-games-solid-state-cartridges-available-now/?do=findComment&comment=3001247

Has the DIY kit to make your own. You'll need a rom as well and the ability to burn it..

Greg

Note that you'll also need one of the V4 cartridge boards to build your own (I have plenty of assembled V4 boards in stock right now--20 or so). You can also get your own made using the Gerber files in the DIY kit, but then you have to get the parts and solder them together too.