IGNORED

Flying High with my Shuttle!

Check this out! I got my first PC Engine, and it just so happens to be (in my opinion) NEC's most unique model. That's right, I got a NEC PC Engine Shuttle.

As someone who thinks the CD attatchment/Duo/games aren't really worth it, the Shuttle is actually quite perfect for me. Don't get me wrong, there's a handful of great CD games, but they're usually over 150 bucks. You can use CD-Rs, but there are far too many horror stories of people's Duos and Duo Rs that burned out after using CD-Rs for an incredibly short amount of time for me to feel comfortable with that option.

Hucards alone are more than ok. TONS of games to collect for, and with my everdrive, I can play US games (via roms) on it too!

I also like that the controller port won't need a home-made conversion cord in order to use a 6 button PC Engine controller, unlike that of the Turbografx (why they changed the controller port on the US release is beyond comprehension...).

In addition, it has a Hucard cover, which I quite like, especially when I have my exposed everdrive hucard in its bay. And unlike the Turbografx, it has AV out.

Heck yeah.

In addition, I got a brand new, in box, memory expansion for the Shuttle. I'll post pictures once I get them in. In the meantime, I have a couple pics. Enjoy!

Do you have a PC Engine? Prefer one more than another? Have you had reliability issues with CD attatchements/duos? Do you have a Shuttle? :)

J0ZdZNdl.png

RS8zYEGl.png

QuLMLoKl.jpg

• Like 2

I have a PC-Engine Coregrafx I, with the RGB-SCART adapter. I don't have a CD-ROM unit yet tho I plan to get one... If I can get one for a reasonable price (under the 100$ mark, that is).

The PC-Engine is a great nice little console, it's too bad NEC really never tried to sell it outside Japan; which is mostly the reason why it failed on both the US market and the European market; because, despite never never officially sold, there is at least 3 companies that sold PC-Engine in Europe, and at least one that got the right from Nec, so they were "approved" but not recognized (Nec clearly stated they will not modify their systems to PAL, neither they would take any console back for guarantee after the modding of the system).

There was first Telegame in the UK, importing Turbografx-16 systems from the US. Then an unknow (to me) company in Germany, modifying the unit for output PAL (probably PAL-60, however). Were they modding PC-Engine or Turbografx-16 models, I don't know.

And there was SODIPENG in France, that had this deal with Nec to have their systems shipped right from Nec to them. The unit were PC-Engine (mostly Coregrafx models) modded to RGB (60htz again) and shipped with an additionnal RGB SCART cable. Games were obviously not translated, but shipped with a sheet of paper translating the instructions.

This was a huge grief because of the obvious lack of RPG games that many French players expected to get at the time.

4095434041_3cd27cba15_o.jpg

Sodipeng also sold an RGB adapter to plug on the back of the PC-Engine (because the RGB is present on that huge connector, too); this device got the advantage of being plu'n'play, and doesn't require to mod the console; however, you obviously can't use it with the memory unit or any CD-Rom attachment; in this regard the Sodipeng internal mod adding the RDB on a 8 pings DIN on the side of the console (where you have a 5 pins DIn on the Coregrafx) is better.

dsc07942.jpg

2012-102.jpg

Edited by CatPix

Check this out! I got my first PC Engine, and it just so happens to be (in my opinion) NEC's most unique model. That's right, I got a NEC PC Engine Shuttle.

As someone who thinks the CD attatchment/Duo/games aren't really worth it, the Shuttle is actually quite perfect for me. Don't get me wrong, there's a handful of great CD games, but they're usually over 150 bucks. You can use CD-Rs, but there are far too many horror stories of people's Duos and Duo Rs that burned out after using CD-Rs for an incredibly short amount of time for me to feel comfortable with that option.

Hucards alone are more than ok. TONS of games to collect for, and with my everdrive, I can play US games (via roms) on it too!

I also like that the controller port won't need a home-made conversion cord in order to use a 6 button PC Engine controller, unlike that of the Turbografx (why they changed the controller port on the US release is beyond comprehension...).

In addition, it has a Hucard cover, which I quite like, especially when I have my exposed everdrive hucard in its bay. And unlike the Turbografx, it has AV out.

Heck yeah.

In addition, I got a brand new, in box, memory expansion for the Shuttle. I'll post pictures once I get them in. In the meantime, I have a couple pics. Enjoy!

Do you have a PC Engine? Prefer one more than another? Have you had reliability issues with CD attatchements/duos? Do you have a Shuttle? :)

Nice! Thank you for showing it!

Anthony...

I have a Coregrafx and love it. Amazing how compact it is. Was thinking about getting a Shuttle as well, but we'll see. I'm less than impressed with the way sellers are shipping and describing the condition of some of this stuff these days.

Re: why NEC changed the controller port for the US version... I've postulated that it's because they needed something more robust for the 'Merican market. The way a lot of people handle things here, they probably would have had problems with bent pins/broken connectors with the smaller design. ;)

By the time of the Duo, probably just got lazy *and* for cost reasons, decided to leave it.

Nice. I have an original White PC-Engine and a SuperGrafx. I run the SuperCDROM2 attachment. Hucard games are nice, and there are a handful of must haves, but CD games is where it's at. Once I went CD, it was hard to go back. Mostly because hucard sizes limited the games. The sizes increased over time, but their increase never matched the Megadrive and SuperFami increases in cart size. CD games is where you start to see the evolution of games on the system. If you're into the charm of hucard games, that's cool - but CD games took over the system less than half its life span; it's the real meat of the system.

As far as CD-Rs and the real units, it's not that complicated. The original Duos and the original CD units (breifcase model and the US model) have problems with CD-Rs. Some gamers have replaced the laser modules in those early units, with success and read CD-Rs just fine, but I have no experience with that to say yah or nay. The SuperCDROM2 and Duo-R/RX systems do not have problems reading CD-Rs.

That's good to know malduci, thank you!

I was inches from getting a supergrafx instead, but decided against it. I'd like to dive into CD games one day, but the hucards interest me most now. I donno what it is about them, but I like them :). That and the Shuttle is just such an amazing looking console, and frankly, I thought the Supergrafx with the CD2 attachment was a bit.... ugly. Is it wrong to pass on a system purely because of looks? Maybe, haha. But I figured with my money, I'd get the one I wanted more, and get the Supergrafx later on down the road :).

I can't wait to play the system. I know it bombed, but the Shuttle just is cooler looking than any of the other PC Engines.

Glad there are others here with a PC Engine, as it seems to have an amazing library.

I thought the Supergrafx with the CD2 attachment was a bit.... ugly. Is it wrong to pass on a system purely because of looks? Maybe, haha. But I figured with my money, I'd get the one I wanted more, and get the Supergrafx later on down the road :).

Speaking as someone who owns a Super Grafx and a Super CD-ROM2 attachment, the combination is fugly. It's not that practical either--it takes up a massive amount of space, and you have cords coming out from three different sides of it. It's dumb. A Core Grafx is the ideal choice for someone planning on investing in a Super CD-ROM2 attachment. But, at that point, one would probably be better off simply buying a PC Engine DUO of some kind.

I think the Super Grafx on its own though looks pretty cool. It's definitely the ideal unit to have if you are only going to play card games, since you have the opportunity to play some of the obscure Super Grafx exclusives on top of the standard PCE library.

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who owns a Super Grafx and a Super CD-ROM2 attachment, the combination is fugly. It's not that practical either--it takes up a massive amount of space, and you have cords coming out from three different sides of it. It's dumb. A Core Grafx is the ideal choice for someone planning on investing in a Super CD-ROM2 attachment. But, at that point, one would probably be better off simply buying a PC Engine DUO of some kind.

I think the Super Grafx on its own though looks pretty cool. It's definitely the ideal unit to have if you are only going to play card games, since you have the opportunity to play some of the obscure Super Grafx exclusives on top of the standard PCE library.

It's probably because the Super Grafx lasted... what... a day? :)

I'm sure if it had stuck around, they'd have made an attachment that looked more like it would match the system and its color scheme. I might pick one up, but the Core II/CD2 combo really does look quite nice.

Either way, for now this is a great system to start with. I'm kinda testing the waters. If I really love the hucard collection, I'll start looking into ways to play CD games in the future as well. I like the idea of playing the few Super Grafx games, but it might not justify the price and... garish looks. I did notice the wires going each way on someone's review as well. In fact, it honestly reminds me of a Turbografx16 in how the CD attachment bulges out the back, and the system is awkwardly horizontally wide with wires coming out the side.

Out of all the case designs, why they went to mimic the Turbografx16 for their "next-gen" system is anyone's guess.

You better remember that's worth a small fortune!

Should of got the best of both worlds( :P),the amazing TG-16/PC Engine games and the portability).not my pic:176px-PC_Engine_LT.jpg

It's a VERY nice handheld.Now if only I could remember where I put the damn thing...

• Like 1

You better remember that's worth a small fortune!

That's why I don't need anything of value.If I acquired an boxed Air raid in a matter of days the box would be crushed,the label would be stained with mountain Dew, and one of the handles would be broke amongst other things :rolling:

Edited by xDragonWarrior
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight. With the shuttle I don't have to mod for composite or RGB. I don't have to mod PC engine controllers. All the good japanese games work without modification. Do I get save memory and a second controller port included too?

Why do I have TG16/express again? They nickle and dime me for (generally) standard features, have crap for video output, neo geo pricing, and crap for a library. It's in english--I'll give it that, but I really wish I'd've started with japan instead.

My plan for the last 20 years has just been to avoid plugging in the platform rather than put up with it's annoyances. But maybe I was just focusing on the wrong continent.

Edited by Reaperman

So let me get this straight. With the shuttle I don't have to mod for composite or RGB. I don't have to mod PC engine controllers. All the good japanese games work without modification. Do I get save memory and a second controller port included too?

Why do I have TG16/express again? They nickle and dime me for (generally) standard features, have crap for video output, neo geo pricing, and crap for a library. It's in english--I'll give it that, but I really wish I'd've started with japan instead.

My plan for the last 20 years has just been to avoid plugging in the platform rather than put up with it's annoyances. But maybe I was just focusing on the wrong continent.

Hey bud.

Yeah, you get composite out, pc engine controller support, japanese games work, and if you get the Shuttle memory expansion (in the blue box) that I got (got mine new for cheap) you can save on the system.

So why get those systems? No point honestly. Especially the TG16. The express core II has composite out, but not the first core that's white (get the grey and orange core II). So other than playing American hucard games (CD games are region free) there's no point in getting a TG16. Getting a Core II might be good if you want to buy the CD2 attachment for CD games. But that's about the only difference. Plus this looks cooler :P.

The AV expansion thing for the TG16... the one that goes for 150+ bucks just to give you composite, is a complete rip off. The shuttle cost 150... same price as a stupid adapter to get composite... which doesn't even include the cost of the TG16 and the PC Engine cables for contoller support, etc. It's stupid.

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

Here's a link so you can check out the Core II. I personally like the Shuttle better, and if you don't care about the CD add-on and it's games, it's the perfect choice imho. Plus the come out the back, and not the sides (unlike the Core I and II, Supergrafx, and TG16). I never understood why they did that.....

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Core_Grafx_II

Edited by DaytonaUSA

The AV expansion thing for the TG16... the one that goes for 150+ bucks just to give you composite, is a complete rip off. The shuttle cost 150... same price as a stupid adapter to get composite... which doesn't even include the cost of the TG16 and the PC Engine cables for contoller support, etc. It's stupid.

:o :O :o Are you serious?.I got the AV expansion years ago with my TG-16 1 controller and 4 games(Galaga 90',Dungeon Explorer,Keith Courage In Alpha Zones,and Alien Crush) for $8.Damn!

So why get those systems? No point honestly. Especially the TG16. The express core II has composite out, but not the first core that's white (get the grey and orange core II). So other than playing American hucard games (CD games are region free) there's no point in getting a TG16. Getting a Core II might be good if you want to buy the CD2 attachment for CD games. But that's about the only difference. Plus this looks cooler :P.

Little correction.

The white unit is the PC-Engine. Simply the PC-Engine.

Then you have the Coregrafx, with grey body and blue logo, and blue marking on pads.

Then the Coregrafx II, which is the same, but with orange markings.

There is a good point in getting a Core (I or II) rather than a shuttle and expansions being more readily available :

The Coregrafx units sells for very low in Japan. You can get one loose from a Japanese eBay seller for as low as 35$ (minus shipping). The Shuttle usually goes for more.

As for video mods, EVERY PC-Engine (except the Shuttle!) got composite and RGB on the large, rear port. So with basic soldering skills you can add video out of a white PC-Engine. (It's not very usefull, as it's the first model, it's often sold for more than a Coregrafx, so there is no point in getting one now.)

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php

Little correction.

The white unit is the PC-Engine. Simply the PC-Engine.

Then you have the Coregrafx, with grey body and blue logo, and blue marking on pads.

Then the Coregrafx II, which is the same, but with orange markings.

There is a good point in getting a Core (I or II) rather than a shuttle and expansions being more readily available :

The Coregrafx units sells for very low in Japan. You can get one loose from a Japanese eBay seller for as low as 35$ (minus shipping). The Shuttle usually goes for more.

As for video mods, EVERY PC-Engine (except the Shuttle!) got composite and RGB on the large, rear port. So with basic soldering skills you can add video out of a white PC-Engine. (It's not very usefull, as it's the first model, it's often sold for more than a Coregrafx, so there is no point in getting one now.)

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php

The Shuttle has composite stock, and if you're in the States, we can't use RGB anyway, to be fair...

And yep, you're right, sorry about that bud. The original white PC Engine doesn't have AV out, and both Core and Core II do.

As for price, I think you'll find it difficult to get a Coregrafx for 35 dollars. They might be common as all hell and back in Japan, but they seem to fetch close to 100 plus shipping from what I can tell. As far as CD expansions, yep, like I said in my last post, it's the best choice to go. But honeslty, if you don't want that option, a Shuttle is a fine choice and looks much better (in my opinion).

GIven that I got mine for 50 more than I could have bought a Coregrafx, I figured it was a good investment, especially with me finding a brand new memory expansion for so cheap.

To be honest, there's a PC Engine/TG for everyone, really. While I think some are absolutely pointless (TG16, Supergrafx, PC Engine (the first)), as they're easily daftly built, lacking features (AV support without doing any crazy mods, controller port size issues, sideways pointing cords for no reason, etc), I know a few people who would argue they like one of those three I just dissed for whatever reason they love them.

And I think that's where I come in with the Shuttle. Is it the "best" option? I think the "best" option is the Coregrafx II, as it has AV out and matches in color with the CD2, a reliable CD unit. But it doesn't tickle my fancy. It's not the best choice, but the Shuttle is the best choice for me. As the Supergrafx might be for someone else.

To each their own. But I think people should at least know which offers what features, and to be wary of the ones that are potentially something they might not want to be stuck with, especially the unreliable CD units (Duo, Turbografx, Turbo Duo, and the original CD unit).

Either way, it's a fantastic system with tons of games for most gamers. I can't wait to get my hands on it and explore it's library :).

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Indeed it is.

And check out on famous Japanese sellers; the one I trust the most is Yamatoku-Classics on eBay.

I have seen Coregrafx going to as low as 35$. But yeah, at this price, it was the core console only, no AC and no pad. But hell, the PSU is a standard 9V (I think you can use a SMS/Megadrive I PSU) and the base pads are dirt cheap. Sure you have to add this and the shipping cost, so the price would be more around 65/70$. But, as you are buyng the system, get to buy games and save on shipping, that's what I do ;)

Games are even cheaper, even if the prices seems to go up and down for no reason really. (Personnal example, I wanted SFII. First one I see at his shop sells for 15$. The second one sells for 17$. And the third one, EXACTLY THE SAME, complete in box, I got it for 6,55$ WTF?) So it's a matter of luck but you can get bargains, even on eBay.