IGNORED

Anyone into DOS / Win98SE Gaming on PC?

I've got a rig with:

Pentium 3 550Mhz

Matrox G400 GPU

256MB RAM

10GB HDD

It makes a pretty nice DOS/Win98 gaming rig and I do sometimes use it to play Flying Heroes, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Tyrian or Daggerfall.

... If there was a reliable Win98 emulator that supported hardware 3D acceleration (and VooDoo emulation), I would retire the real box. I don't see that happening. Unless the DOSBox guys are working on that in secret or something. Doubtful.

I bet VirtualBox will be up to it one day, if it's not already.

I bet VirtualBox will be up to it one day, if it's not already.

Nah, VirtualBox devs have thus far shown no interest in Windows 98 and lower. I have a Win98 VM setup in VBox already, but it does not work well. It lacks the drivers for true integration. That and it is missing one of my big points, 3d hardware emulation.

You can get 3D in a VBox WinXP VM, and it works well enough. I tried 3Dmark 2001 in it not that long ago. Perhaps, with a glide wrapper, and a bit of Tweaking, an XP VM would work for some games, but not all of them.

Nah, VirtualBox devs have thus far shown no interest in Windows 98 and lower. I have a Win98 VM setup in VBox already, but it does not work well. It lacks the drivers for true integration. That and it is missing one of my big points, 3d hardware emulation.

You can get 3D in a VBox WinXP VM, and it works well enough. I tried 3Dmark 2001 in it not that long ago. Perhaps, with a glide wrapper, and a bit of Tweaking, an XP VM would work for some games, but not all of them.

I have the same problem with a Win95C Vbox - it won't even start in normal mode. Too bad they don't put more effort into Win9x support.

I wish I could remember the specs to the first new PC I bought myself. I do recall that it had:

Pentium 1 100MHz

Some class of ATI videocard, as well as an ATI TV tuner

Soundblaster

16 MB RAM (later upgraded to 32 MB)

First Windows 95 for a couple days, then Windows 3.11 for a few more months, and then back to Windows 95 (I wasn't a fan at first of how DOS was completely by-passed in Win 95).

Of course the most important game played on that system was Doom II, but I played a lot of WarCraft II on there as well 8).

Hyperkin is working on a DOS box with KVM, apparently.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-64-games-may-come-to-retron-5#.U5C37vmwLYg

They talked about it, but it is still very fuzzy on the details. Would it be DOS only? And if so, what level of performance are they targeting. Not to mention, what would it even look like. Still, I will be keeping an eye on it.

They talked about it, but it is still very fuzzy on the details. Would it be DOS only? And if so, what level of performance are they targeting. Not to mention, what would it even look like. Still, I will be keeping an eye on it.

I'm afraid that's all that I know. I did see a video of Hyperkin reps at a gaming convention, and they did confirm that the product is in the works. I'm not sure I would buy one unless you could tinker with it. I'd want to be able to swap out video and sound cards. If that's not possible, I think I'd rather use a Pentium laptop with S3 Virge and Yamaha chips. Probably cheaper too.

Didn't they have some Pentium 4 boards with one ISA slot? Can you imagine a P4 with:

* Gravis Ultrasound

* 2x Voodoo IIs

* Gigabyte i-RAM with 4gb

Pretty sure 95/98 would scream!

I've got a Socket 7 board with half the slots PCI, half the slots ISA, and on board USB (in fact, one of the two USB chipsets that were supported in the final version of Windows 95, which is an interesting if not very useful experience). It supports up to the AMD K6-II processor range. Model is Biostar M5ATA. Natively, it'll run up to about 266MHz, although it can be modded to support a K6-III at up to around 500MHz, I think. It's fairly quick on Win 98 as is, but it would really fly if I did the mod.

A nice setup would be a celeron a300, that was a great processor with great overclock potential.

I still have my a300. No motherboard...but I kept the CPU. That thing was awesome. I remember there were about 6 guys I worked with back then...we all bought one, and they all overclocked to 450 with no issues.

Ooh. That's kind of a holy grail. Here's a link to a VOGONS thread on it:

It's quite nice, one of those few times I picked up something at the right time, before it became rare and expensive. :)

That CPU was a legend. I really regretted going with the K6-2 after hearing reports of the Celery doing 450 MHz. That 100 MHz FSB was killer.

Yeah used to do 450Mhz all day long with simple air cooling, still have mine too. Was one of the best CPU deals ever for the time probably.

I still have a Pentium II running at 333 mhz with Win98SE and a 10 GB harddrive. I never got a 3D card.

Used to play Age of Empires II, MS-Football (Soccer), Delta Force, and from DOS: Doom, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, The Lost Vikings, Cannon Fodder and others I've forgot. :D

Unfortunately these days I don't have time to play anymore. :(

I've been having a blast with this inexpensive OEM box. It came with decent components: ASUS 440ZX motherboard (cheap OEM version of 440BX), 466 MHz Celeron (66 MHz FSB locked), 192 MB RAM, generic PCI sound card. I added my old Diamond Monster Fusion Voodoo Banshee card and a CF-to-IDE adapter with a 4GB Hitachi Microdrive. Loaded Windows 98SE and these games that I still had on CD-ROM:

Quake II

Heretic II

Sin

All of these run pretty smoothly up to 800x600. Baldur's Gate, Unreal, and Diablo II are next. 1998-2000 was a great era of PC gaming. Once I can source a good case, I'm building the Intel 815E/PIII 1GHz rig with the GeForce 4 Ti4600!