IGNORED

Games with Gold

Metal Ghost

Anyone try downloading Max: Curse of Brotherhood yet? I tried to do it this evening, and it keeps giving me a 'installation stopped' message. Anyone else having better luck?

First off, let me say I think the Xbox Box One storefront sucks ass.

I did eventually find this game and tried to download it. Doesn't work.

It's not even giving me an error message. You click out Get it Free, it acts like it's doing something, then just returns to the games page for me.

First off, let me say I think the Xbox Box One storefront sucks ass.

I did eventually find this game and tried to download it. Doesn't work.

It's not even giving me an error message. You click out Get it Free, it acts like it's doing something, then just returns to the games page for me.

I think I figured it out: the game appears to have simply been showing as free a day early, and needed the console update in order to work. Re-download it now (after you're sure that your console has been updated) and all should be well.

I think I figured it out: the game appears to have simply been showing as free a day early, and needed the console update in order to work. Re-download it now (after you're sure that your console has been updated) and all should be well.

Hmmmm Not sure what was going on then because my console was updated. I even had a 2TB HD installed. I'll try again tonight. Thanks!

EDIT: Ok NM, even though I thought it was doing nothing nothing, apparently it was installing? I went back to the game page and it's now ready to play. Who knew!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After playing Guacamelee for awhile (beating it, but falling short of one orb and some achievements), I moved on to Max. I'm in Chapter 3 and enjoying it, which I wasn't sure I would..

I haven't had my One too long, but I wanted to at least start getting the Gold freebies. I did miss out on Halo, which I wasn't too upset about.

I started Guacamelee as well. Reminded me a lot of the game Dust: An Elysian Tail, although admittedly I think I liked Dust better.

Still not a bad game at all especially for the price! I need to fire up my One, it's but awhile, can't seem to shake the last gen, still way too many unplayed games there.

I'm a little confused and maybe someone can clear up my confusion....

I've had a Gold membership for many, many years. When the Games for Gold hit the Xbox360, I had read that the games I downloaded were mine to keep, even if I didn't renew my membership. This seemed to be true as my membership lapsed for a couple weeks but I was able to continue playing my free downloaded games.

But in downloading Crimson Dragon the other day, I noticed that the words "as long as you are a Gold Membership holder" were included in the description.

Are the games for XB1 mine to keep or did they change the rules for the XB1 and make it the same as a PS Plus membership? What about XB360, are they still mine to keep?

I'm a little confused and maybe someone can clear up my confusion....

I've had a Gold membership for many, many years. When the Games for Gold hit the Xbox360, I had read that the games I downloaded were mine to keep, even if I didn't renew my membership. This seemed to be true as my membership lapsed for a couple weeks but I was able to continue playing my free downloaded games.

But in downloading Crimson Dragon the other day, I noticed that the words "as long as you are a Gold Membership holder" were included in the description.

Are the games for XB1 mine to keep or did they change the rules for the XB1 and make it the same as a PS Plus membership? What about XB360, are they still mine to keep?

This is true. The Xbox 360 games were keepers, the Xbox One games work the same as PlayStation Plus, meaning access as long as you're a Gold member. You can let the membership lapse and resume it to regain access. I have no problem with this myself, honestly, as both memberships are all but requirements on their given platforms.

After playing Guacamelee for awhile (beating it, but falling short of one orb and some achievements), I moved on to Max. I'm in Chapter 3 and enjoying it, which I wasn't sure I would..

I haven't had my One too long, but I wanted to at least start getting the Gold freebies. I did miss out on Halo, which I wasn't too upset about.

I started Guacamelee as well. Reminded me a lot of the game Dust: An Elysian Tail, although admittedly I think I liked Dust better.

Still not a bad game at all especially for the price! I need to fire up my One, it's but awhile, can't seem to shake the last gen, still way too many unplayed games there.

I cant get the last orb either....if you get it Moycon post your accomplishment or how long it took you to get it (if you even try for it). You'll see what I mean. :P

Actually I started it up on PC yesterday again (big discount for existing owners on Steam) and I just may try for the final orb one last time. With help from a friend probably..but I'm not sure how easier it is with two people on the screen at the same time.

I think I could do it with a little more time dedicated, as I was doing OK but just couldn't get it. However, the past few years (when kids arrived), gaming time is much more scarce, and I figured I'd try a new game as opposed to spending a LOT of time on that last damn orb.

Maybe I'll go back one day... maybe..

• Like 1

This is true. The Xbox 360 games were keepers, the Xbox One games work the same as PlayStation Plus, meaning access as long as you're a Gold member. You can let the membership lapse and resume it to regain access. I have no problem with this myself, honestly, as both memberships are all but requirements on their given platforms.

Thanks for the response, Bill! Much appreciated!!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been very suprised by Child of Light, which is one of April's free offerings. I'm normally not big on turn-based combat, but the environments are gorgeous and the firefly companion is unique.

I really love the art style of this game. I enjoyed the game play at 1st, but after a few hours I started to get bored with it.

Not sure if the Rayman game is still free with gold, but that game is really fun!

I'm digging Child of Light. I remember back when Dragons Lair came out, gamers were excited at the prospect of being able to control a cartoon character. They saw that awesome animation and couldn't wait to jump into the action. Of course most were quickly disappointed. The gameplay was so lacking, with very little actual interaction, it seemed more like a choose your path book. Games today though, that's a different story. Child of Light is like controlling a cartoon character, her movements are so fluid and realistic. Really just had to smile when I first started the game. I didn't even realize it was turn based at first a huge plus in my book because I love them and you don't see them much these days. Highly recommended.

I'm digging Child of Light. I remember back when Dragons Lair came out, gamers were excited at the prospect of being able to control a cartoon character. They saw that awesome animation and couldn't wait to jump into the action. Of course most were quickly disappointed. The gameplay was so lacking, with very little actual interaction, it seemed more like a choose your path book. Games today though, that's a different story. Child of Light is like controlling a cartoon character, her movements are so fluid and realistic. Really just had to smile when I first started the game. I didn't even realize it was turn based at first a huge plus in my book because I love them and you don't see them much these days. Highly recommended.

I'd put the recent Rayman game (also free on Gold) more in that category of "truly playable cartoon," but Child of Light is definitely a nice looking game. It's games like those that absolutely counteract the silly argument that all of today's games look the same. The fact that the technology part is fairly stable and relatively high level these days allows for a wide variety of art styles to be realized, be it pixel art, photo realistic, abstract, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd put the recent Rayman game (also free on Gold) more in that category of "truly playable cartoon," but Child of Light is definitely a nice looking game. It's games like those that absolutely counteract the silly argument that all of today's games look the same. The fact that the technology part is fairly stable and relatively high level these days allows for a wide variety of art styles to be realized, be it pixel art, photo realistic, abstract, etc.

Totally agree. I also really loved Ni No Kuni on PS3 for the art style. I think we've gotten back a style that was lost somewhere in rush to 3D. Brownochromatic seemed the only option for a long time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

/\/\/\/\ I actually had the 360 version unwrapped on the shelf and now it is free - oh well. I started playing on Xone. I'm noticing some crazy fluctuations in the difficulty of this game. I'm only about 2 hours in but even some of the "press this button now" events seem widly erratic with the timing. In one area it was "here we are teaching you to sneak kill" then I died like 5x in a row on the remaining guys in that building. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to sneak kill them or what.