IGNORED

How to run 'Crush Crumble And Chomp'?

starwindz

This would be a really great game for a re-make and a better re-make should be possible on the Atari as it's really mostly BASIC with a bit of ML for PM and flicker effects. It would be great to be able to play this in a more real-time way than the "turn based feeling" it gives now.

I don't know of anything like it (but I then I stopped following the games market around 1990... ;)). It's much more tactical than Rampage, the only one with a similar theme I can think of.

Would also look great on a PC with a SIM-City-like engine (or even 2-player with one playing Sim City and the other rampaging around and destroying things :grin:)

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
16 hours ago, FULS said:

Thanks, but this still crashes for me. Debug windows says something about CPU Illegal instruction Hit 0056.

I've got hardware set to Atari 800XL, Firmware to OS-B / Basic enabled, Fast Boot.

I've noticed that Altirra says the the OS-B Rom is patched, is that a potential problem?

Edited by Gatherer of Data

This is a game I wanted sooo badly - the premise at the time seemed so cool.  Im pretty sure my next door  neighbor with his ZX81 16k RAM had this and it was fun.  Getting the slow Atari version was such a let down :(  Not sure if the C64 version or another one which is better could be ported?

15 minutes ago, Gatherer of Data said:

Thanks, but this still crashes for me. Debug windows says something about CPU Illegal instruction Hit 0056.

I've got hardware set to Atari 800XL, Firmware to OS-B / Basic enabled, Fast Boot.

I've noticed that Altirra says the the OS-B Rom is patched, is that a potential problem?

Okay, I successfully booted it with the default config under Altirra 2.5 instead of 3.9, there seems to be something wrong with my ROM configs..

Edited by Gatherer of Data
This was actually a mistake, I wanted only to edit, not post.

48 minutes ago, Goochman said:

This is a game I wanted sooo badly - the premise at the time seemed so cool.  Im pretty sure my next door  neighbor with his ZX81 16k RAM had this and it was fun.  Getting the slow Atari version was such a let down :(  Not sure if the C64 version or another one which is better could be ported?

Also wanted it since I first read the ad copy but was a bit disappointed when playing it on an equally fascinated friend's machine. 

I'd love to see a port but IIRC the variable name table has been erased, so you'll end up with a lot of numbered variables and would have to guess and try a lot. I don't think a straight compile would work as it would break the user interface. 

The C64 version has color and uses a two-coloured player sprite but isn't that much better. It doesn't make use of sprites for anything but the player and uses the same mix of turn-based and real-time control scheme which leaves you watching whatever happens in between entering your turns.

The status bar on the right would be the major obstacle when converting to Antic mode 4 4/5-color tiles. Moving the status display to the top and bottom would also allow for scrolling of the map.

Unless sprites are used for something else, a two-color player sprite shouldn't be too hard.

All that combined would be more of a rewrite with the same theme rather than a port/update. A bit like the difference between the old Dunjonquest games and Gateway to Apshai.

I don't see myself acquiring the skills to pull that off but would love if someone picked it up.

I was thinking the same thing myself. I don't even use Atari Basic anymore, I mostly use Basic XE and then Turbo Basic for programs made with it. Everything I've run (which admittedly isn't much) for Atari Basic runs on Basic XE and usually about 2-3 times faster. Compiled Turbo Basic is even faster. Maybe someone should try compiling the game with TB compiler and using the run-time package?

On 3/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, youxia said:

I love this game and don't think there is anything wrong with its strange turn-based system. It works this way, just needs getting used to.

I like the turn-based input buffer too, but this is a lot more fun to play on an emulator today with the clock speed set to 120% or so. It seems just right sped up a bit without losing the time you need to enter in a last minute move.

I love this game and don't think there is anything wrong with its strange turn-based system. It works this way, just needs getting used to.

I like the turn-based input buffer too, but this is a lot more fun to play on an emulator today with the clock speed set to 120% or so. It seems just right sped up a bit without losing the time you need to enter in a last minute move.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, FifthPlayer said:

Never played this game, but would it by chance run under Altirra Basic or maybe Turbo Basic?  Either can help with the slowness.

I have Altirra BASIC installed as an option on my U1MB 800XL and an original "Crush, Crumble, and Chomp" disk.  The game runs at an unplayable lightning speed under Altirra BASIC. 

• Like 1