IGNORED

Touchdown Challenge - My first 7800basic game

i'm not sure about this^^

you don't need to mark 50 yd line both sides. by counting the the halfway line (twice)

surely 0 to 10, 10 to 20, 20 to 30, 30 to 40, and 40 to 50 = 50 yards

therefore from each end to halfway = 50x 2 = 100

or have i misunderstood something?

It's hard to explain for such a simple thing honestly...easiest thing to do is to look at the screen shots before my post and just count how many 10 yards areas there are....there IS NO halfway line because the field only had nine 10 yard sections (Maximus confirmed and then fixed this, post right after mine). This is because the 50 was not marked on both sides, therefore creating no halfway line....for the other yard markers having the yard number IN the actual field, but referencing the yard line, works fine, but it doesn't work that way for the 50, it must be on both sides--otherwise one side of the field only has 40 yards.

If the numbers were marked ON the lines on the side a la a real field, you could mark the 50 only once. That would be a true halfway.

• 4 months later...

This is great!

I have a Gottlieb "TOUCHDOWN" pinball machine.

I plan to do a new back glass or translite as the original is butt ugly.

I've been toying with the idea to put a small lcd monitor toward the top and have a video football game playing along with the pinball!

There are 8 targets on the playfield, 4 on each side and I thought I could somehow tap their switches and input them into the joystick ports to "play" the video game.

The player would go against the cpu and try to beat it by how he played the pin game.

The left targets would set a "offense play" while the right targets would set a "defense play" using any one of four targets that got hit first.

Another switch, say a slingshot, would start the play.

Then the same targets could be used for moving the on-screen players.

That's the idea so far...as more things have to be taken in such as what happens when the ball drains and so forth.

Any thoughts on this?

This is great!

I have a Gottlieb "TOUCHDOWN" pinball machine.

I plan to do a new back glass or translite as the original is butt ugly.

I've been toying with the idea to put a small lcd monitor toward the top and have a video football game playing along with the pinball!

There are 8 targets on the playfield, 4 on each side and I thought I could somehow tap their switches and input them into the joystick ports to "play" the video game.

The player would go against the cpu and try to beat it by how he played the pin game.

The left targets would set a "offense play" while the right targets would set a "defense play" using any one of four targets that got hit first.

Another switch, say a slingshot, would start the play.

Then the same targets could be used for moving the on-screen players.

That's the idea so far...as more things have to be taken in such as what happens when the ball drains and so forth.

Any thoughts on this?

Very unique and interesting idea, SoundGammon. I'm not sure what I could do to help exactly, but if a few changes needed to be made for the actions of certain joystick or button combinations I could probably help accommodate you if you'd like to use Touchdown Challenge for your project.

• 2 weeks later...

Very unique and interesting idea, SoundGammon. I'm not sure what I could do to help exactly, but if a few changes needed to be made for the actions of certain joystick or button combinations I could probably help accommodate you if you'd like to use Touchdown Challenge for your project.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! When I get time I'll have to play the pin and try to visualize how it can work. Haven't played your game yet, but will soon!

Are there any special screens for say a touchdown or anything like it?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! When I get time I'll have to play the pin and try to visualize how it can work. Haven't played your game yet, but will soon!

Are there any special screens for say a touchdown or anything like it?

It's a very simplistic game that I wrote when I was first learning about 7800basic. There's no special screen for a touchdown or anything else. Enhancements could certainly be made, but I wasn't really planning on revisiting this game for any major changes.

I'd be happy to make some minor modifications if you want to use it for your project, or help you out with modifying it yourself. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So I got a cart of this game off of ebay (was pretty surprised when I saw it)....man do I wish you would enhance this game a bit Maximus to make it full fledged. It is fun as HELL. I feel like Barry Sanders juking and jiving on the field, the game plays FAST and when you get in a zone you really feel it.

To me it would be a GREAT finished product with:

1. A title screen

2. Difficulty levels (easy/normal/hard, which affect how fast the CPU players move)

3. A rule set: the player would get 4 "downs" as lives per game, each tackle erases a down

4. A supply of 3 "Stiffarms" per game (invincibility briefly by pushing the button to make it through tackles, maybe even an icon pops time to time you could grab up to replenish the stiffarm?)

5. 1 AND 2 player mode (score attack for two player, not one guy on D vs one guy on O)

My cart kept crashing intermittently but man I strongly suggest others play this fun little game. I was having a BLAST last night. Got up to 49 twice, could not crack 56. This one deserves to be taken all the way and end up in the AA store IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a cart of this game off of ebay (was pretty surprised when I saw it)....man do I wish you would enhance this game a bit Maximus to make it full fledged. It is fun as HELL. I feel like Barry Sanders juking and jiving on the field, the game plays FAST and when you get in a zone you really feel it.

To me it would be a GREAT finished product with:

1. A title screen

2. Difficulty levels (easy/normal/hard, which affect how fast the CPU players move)

3. A rule set: the player would get 4 "downs" as lives per game, each tackle erases a down

4. A supply of 3 "Stiffarms" per game (invincibility briefly by pushing the button to make it through tackles, maybe even an icon pops time to time you could grab up to replenish the stiffarm?)

5. 1 AND 2 player mode (score attack for two player, not one guy on D vs one guy on O)

My cart kept crashing intermittently but man I strongly suggest others play this fun little game. I was having a BLAST last night. Got up to 49 twice, could not crack 56. This one deserves to be taken all the way and end up in the AA store IMO.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, glad you like it. I may work on adding to it in the future but I don't have plans to do that anytime soon. My new job leaves me little time for any personal projects... I can't even look at AA during the day anymore. I thought it was interesting that you found a cart on eBay, so I did a quick search and found one here. I don't really care I guess, but no one asked me for permission to do that and re-sell them for a profit.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, glad you like it. I may work on adding to it in the future but I don't have plans to do that anytime soon. My new job leaves me little time for any personal projects... I can't even look at AA during the day anymore. I thought it was interesting that you found a cart on eBay, so I did a quick search and found one here. I don't really care I guess, but no one asked me for permission to do that and re-sell them for a profit.

That's it. I was going to shoot you a PM but it looks like you can't receive any more. Can I send you a $20 bill for your troubles? It's your game I am enjoying so much, I just figured he somehow must have your permission.

That's it. I was going to shoot you a PM but it looks like you can't receive any more. Can I send you a $20 bill for your troubles? It's your game I am enjoying so much, I just figured he somehow must have your permission.

Ooops, looks like I let my AA subscription lapse. That's probably why you can't send me a PM right now, my inbox was already pretty full. Don't worry about sending the $20. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. :)