IGNORED

Atari 2600 games with no point system

Schmudde

Hey all, I'm thinking about Atari 2600 games with no point system. I'm curious to look at a list like that, because I'd like to see what other objectives the designers wrote into these games considering the console's limitations.

Off of the top of my head I have Adventure and Raiders of the Lost Arc but I'm sure there is many more.

Cheers,
Schmüdde

Space Shuttle does give you an onscreen rank. But any game can have an achievement measurement assigned whether or not onscreen counters exist. Counting how many seconds it takes you to finish Adventure, for example. Or how many times you swap objects to do so. And if the difficulty switches are used. Fill in your own criteria, it's possible for pretty much any game.

It kind of makes Adventure even that much more anachronic in the development of video games considering how difficult it is to find contemporaries that don't have any sort of point system.

I would agree with others on the thread - rank and speed (time left over) are definitely point systems. The amount of time it takes to complete a race is what makes car driving a sport.

And while you could time your time-to-completion of Adventure, it's not part of the game mechanic designated by the author, so I don't think that counts. One of the unsung advances of the Atari 2600 over the Odyssey is on-screen score keeping, for example. It enforces that mechanic as part of the gameplay.

Back to Adventure - considering the game's precedence is a text adventure, I see how it came into existence without a score. But in the 2600's library, it's quite an anomaly.

Thanks for all these ideas though - keep them coming!

Cheers,
Schmüdde

Ghostbusters II

This is an interesting title. I've never played it. 1992, eh?

Looks like a mess, but there doesn't seem to be a rank or a high score; the objective seems to be to beat the game on (I'm guessing) successively more difficult manifestations (with no on-screen indicator).

Schmüdde

RE: Chess & Checkers...Better players of the game are determined by fewest moves to win. This would transfer to the video game versions. And any game could use total playing time as a factor whether or not an onscreen counter is present (i.e. speedruns).

Not really a game - but Video Grafitti mode in Surround.

Like Chess and Checkers, there's also Backgammon - though the margin of a victory can be scored in that game.

The Nim games in Codebreaker are a win/lose type of game.

Maze Craze doesn't keep score.