IGNORED

A few HDX1 questions

jacquesg

I have a few HDX1 questions but I will start with one. I understand how to SAVE and OLD and then RUN XB programs contained on my 'selected TI99 files directory'. One of my problems is how do you move a .dsk (say, JJG.DSK) from your PC which is running TI99Hdx 7.3a to say DSK1. I understand that you have to use UPLOAD or DOWNLOAD together with the TI program DSK2PC. The HDX1 instructions do not provide an example that I could follow. At the moment I have simply copied file JJG.DSK to my 'selected TI99 disks directory'.

Jacques

I have a few HDX1 questions but I will start with one. I understand how to SAVE and OLD and then RUN XB programs contained on my 'selected TI99 files directory'. One of my problems is how do you move a .dsk (say, JJG.DSK) from your PC which is running TI99Hdx 7.3a to say DSK1. I understand that you have to use UPLOAD or DOWNLOAD together with the TI program DSK2PC. The HDX1 instructions do not provide an example that I could follow. At the moment I have simply copied file JJG.DSK to my 'selected TI99 disks directory'.

Jacques

Load your HDX program and find the line that say's "Ti99 Disks", then enter the path similar to my examples below.

gallery_35324_1027_55060.jpg

The DOAD directory is where you can store all your downloaded .DSK images.

gallery_35324_1027_38359.jpg

After you have that done, download and run DSK2PC on your TI...

gallery_35324_1027_65785.jpg

gallery_35324_1027_478801.jpg

gallery_35324_1027_513424.jpg

Hope this helps with copying disk images.

• Like 1

Jacques

Did you get my email Jacques?

Greg

Greg,

Yes, now I know why I was having difficulty in relating your comments to what I could see on my TI screen. When I ran DSK2PC, the screen display would stop after displaying the line 'Dsk2PC functions'. I must have a bad copy of Dsk2PC. I will download a fresh copy later today. In addition the TI99HDX instructions left me with the impression that UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD were new TI commands for use with HDX. Obviously this is not so.

Omega, thank you for the pictures. Now I know what to expect.

Jacques

I downloaded a new copy of DSK2PC to my TI and obviously my previous copy was bad. I can now transfer .dsk DOAD files between my TI and my PC.

For my second problem I wonder if a WIN 7, 32 bit NetBook will run HDX. I have 2 PC connected to my TI with a dual line TI RS232 cable. One PC is an older MS Windows computer which I have designated as COM2. This PC handles both FIAD files using SAVE and OLD and also DOAD files using the DSK2PC program. My Win 7 PC is the other computer. It will display the TI99HDX 7.3a screen but will not deal with either a FIAD or DOAD file. An attempt to SAVE a one line program yields an I/O error message of 66. My Win 7 computer using a RS232 USB cable handles TI99PRINT and TIImageTool but does not seem to like working with HDX. Does anyone else have this problem?

Jacques

I downloaded a new copy of DSK2PC to my TI and obviously my previous copy was bad. I can now transfer .dsk DOAD files between my TI and my PC.

For my second problem I wonder if a WIN 7, 32 bit NetBook will run HDX. I have 2 PC connected to my TI with a dual line TI RS232 cable. One PC is an older MS Windows computer which I have designated as COM2. This PC handles both FIAD files using SAVE and OLD and also DOAD files using the DSK2PC program. My Win 7 PC is the other computer. It will display the TI99HDX 7.3a screen but will not deal with either a FIAD or DOAD file. An attempt to SAVE a one line program yields an I/O error message of 66. My Win 7 computer using a RS232 USB cable handles TI99PRINT and TIImageTool but does not seem to like working with HDX. Does anyone else have this problem?

Jacques

On the TI side do you have it hooked to the rs232/2 port? HDX via the DSR only works on that port. The Rs232/1 is unchanged. If you have that computer plugged in to rs232/1 then you will need to use cfhdxs1 program from Fred's site to do HDX file functions and it will ONLY work in that program..

Again.. rs232/1 - regular rs232

rs232/2 - HDX

also.. you must change the options in the hdx software for com port if you aren't using the default com1.

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

On the TI side do you have it hooked to the rs232/2 port? HDX via the DSR only works on that port. The Rs232/1 is unchanged. If you have that computer plugged in to rs232/1 then you will need to use cfhdxs1 program from Fred's site to do HDX file functions and it will ONLY work in that program..

Again.. rs232/1 - regular rs232

rs232/2 - HDX

also.. you must change the options in the hdx software for com port if you aren't using the default com1.

Greg

... also some of those old TI-RS-232 Y-Cables are mis-labeled, (the only reason I know is because I have one). Also, I don't know about that other program he is using, but the HDX modification severs the interrupt line, and either a toggle can be inserted, or a secondary unaltered (except for the resistor) RS-232 can be installed for basic communications programs like Telco..

Thank you for the suggestion. However since I do not have a spare slot in my PEB for another RS232 card and considering my age, lack of a steady hand and the condition of my eyes I doubt that I will try this modification. What I have will suit me fine.

Jacques

Greg,

Thank you. I got HDX1 to work on my Win 7 by using CFHDXS. Not quite as convenient as DSK2PC but I can get it to serve my needs.

Jacques

Glad to hear it!

I use a switchbox to move my hdx server to whatever machine I am connecting as I have a Pbox 4/a, Geneve, and a F18a/nanopeb 4/a all hooked to the box.. Works great. I guess you could do the same thing the other way selecting the TI to whichever PC with the box..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Female-DB9-Serial-RS-232-4way-ABCD-Switch-Box-T-/291165927963?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item43cad77a1b

Greg

I have noted your suggestion and I may give it a try in the future. For now I will continue to solidify my understanding of my current HDX1 setup.

This is not really a problem but is an item which has me puzzled. In order to run HDX1 on my Win 7 by using CFHDXS I first have to turn on the printer echo on the PC side. The old terminal.exe program will run on a 32 bit Win 7 computer and it has an option that will turn on printer echo. I also have to do this if I want TI99Print to print to my PC using COM 1. If I do not first turn printer echo on neither TI99Print or HDX1 will wok using COM1, I do not remember how I stumbled upon this requirement. I would guess that my USB to RS232 connection does not leave printer echo on and makes it necessary for me to click the option in the terminal.exe program. I am just curious why this is happening.

Regards,

Jacques

Glad to hear it!

I use a switchbox to move my hdx server to whatever machine I am connecting as I have a Pbox 4/a, Geneve, and a F18a/nanopeb 4/a all hooked to the box.. Works great. I guess you could do the same thing the other way selecting the TI to whichever PC with the box..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Female-DB9-Serial-RS-232-4way-ABCD-Switch-Box-T-/291165927963?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item43cad77a1b

Greg

I have figured out another way to transfer a .dsk file from my Win 7 computer that I have designated as COM 1 to my TI using DSK2PC. I still have to use my older PC which I have designated as COM2. My older PC runs PC99 while the Win 7 computer runs MESS and other emulators. Each of these computers has folders to share documents. I put the .dsk file that I want to transfer to my TI in the Shared Document folder on my Win 7 PC and I have arranged that the Shared Document file on my older PC has been set as the folder to receive a TI99 Disks file on the HDX2 program using COM2. The DSK2PC will then transfer the selected file from my old PC to my TI. IF I want to transfer a PC99 disk I first use TI99DIR to first convert it.

It seems to me that this is simpler than using 2 RS232 cards or a switch box and uses the same number of steps as if everything was done using only COM2 You do have to use both PCs, the one designated as COM1 to select the disk and the other designated as COM2.to transfer the disk.

I am quite happy with my modified TI RS232 card as it allows me to use HDX1 as another way of Getting There From Here.

Jacques

• Like 1