IGNORED

CC-40 roms all dumped

acadiel

I have a real CC-40 here, but no clue how to dump the ROMS (and basically do no yet understand what to do with it yet)

(I have seen the videos with all the pheripherals, etc.)

It looks like 2x files are missing:

emulator #0 finished, exit code = 2 (missing files), exit status = normal, remaining emulators = 0

but it was on my list to get it emulated similar like the TI-99's in this video:

http://www.globeron.com/freedownload/TI99EmulatorsMESS.mp4

If someone has a procedure what to do to get the ROMs dumped so I can test it, let me know.

I have the Memo processor cart I believe (will try the "mp" command). I have the manuals as well

and they are also online in PDF format at a 99 site.

Here are the roms for the CC40. At this point in time, the carts are not being recognized by the emulation, but otherwise it's working fine. It might actually be an issue with the cart images I'm using. More to come on that as I look into it.

EDIT: I have been in contact with Michael Koelewijn, the programmer for the CC40 mess emulation, and it appears that the problem indeed lies with my cart images. He sent me a copy of his CC40 Pascal cart image and it worked perfectly (attached). I hope to also get new images for the rest of the carts.

On the downside though, he has no plans to emulate the hexbus interface, so loading and saving files with the CC40 will not be possible, although memory contents will be retained between emulation runs. That is really too bad...

cc40roms.zip

PASCAL.ZIP

• Like 2

Here are the roms for the CC40. At this point in time, the carts are not being recognized by the emulation, but otherwise it's working fine. It might actually be an issue with the cart images I'm using. More to come on that as I look into it.

EDIT: I have been in contact with Michael Koelewijn, the programmer for the CC40 mess emulation, and it appears that the problem indeed lies with my cart images. He sent me a copy of his CC40 Pascal cart image and it worked perfectly (attached). I hope to also get new images for the rest of the carts.

On the downside though, he has no plans to emulate the hexbus interface, so loading and saving files with the CC40 will not be possible, although memory contents will be retained between emulation runs. That is really too bad...

Yep, this has to do with the difference between the way Lee and I dumped our ROMs.

Here's the offset map:

3) Fixed 12K banks are where some of the banks had slightly adjusted orders to fit on EPROMs:
Example:
My raw dump (1K offset)	Lee's dump (1K offset)	CC-40 Memory Map
>0000->0FFF		>5000->5FFF		>5000->5FFF
>1000->1FFF 		>6000->6FFF		>6000->6FFF
>2000->2FFF		>7000->7FFF		>7000->7FFF
>3000->3FFF		>0000->0FFF		>8000->8FFF
>4000->4FFF		>1000->1FFF		>9000->9FFF
>5000->5FFF		>2000->2FFF		>A000->AFFF
>6000->6FFF		>3000->3FFF		>B000->BFFF
>7000->7FFF 		>4000->4FFF		>C000->CFFF

(4K blocks), note that Lee seemed to put the last 12K of his dumps of the 32K at the beginning of his images, when I dumped them, they were in order. The .256 ones are the ones with the bottom 12K at the beginning of the ROM. Those were Lee's.

I don't remember if I fixed my .bin ones and then compared them with Lee's to ensure they matched up, but all you need to do is fix them with a hex editor by taking the first >2FFF bytes off of the beginning of the ROM and pasting it at the end and see if it fixes it.

I believe Lee's burning programs ran this way with his prototype CC-40 equipment. Note that my raw dumps were the correct way the ROMs lived in the memory map; I just thought by matching Lee's dumps, they would be correct.

Try the ones in the archive in the \CC-40 DUMPS\2-Converted from Raw directory and see if they work or not. Those are the plain flat dumped ones.

Edit: Yep, the ones in my 2 directory work fine. The ones that need to be reconfigured are Games and Pascal, which are ones I didn't own, but Lee did. Ksarul, I think might have a games 2 one he can dump.

MESS allows multiple carts (one of the first things I implemented :-) )

Use -gromport multi. Then you get -cart1 up to -cart4.

./mess64 ti99_4a -gromport multi -cart1 editass -cart2 invaders

Edit: Wait, are you talking about the 99/4A or the CC-40?

Edited by mizapf

Indeed they do! Thanks Jon :)

One question: How would I get the EA cart dumps to work with mess since they consist of 2 different dumps and MESS only allows one cart?

Not sure in the case of a bank switched cart, because there was only 32K of ROM space. *But*, bank 1 of the E/A cart is just Memo processor. Bank 0, or Run "alds" can be run completely seperately from Bank 1, or Run "mp". I'm not sure if there is some missing functionality for only using half, but E/A really needs mass storage and the Hexbus display adapter to work well, and I never had the display adapter.

Not sure in the case of a bank switched cart, because there was only 32K of ROM space. *But*, bank 1 of the E/A cart is just Memo processor. Bank 0, or Run "alds" can be run completely seperately from Bank 1, or Run "mp". I'm not sure if there is some missing functionality for only using half, but E/A really needs mass storage and the Hexbus display adapter to work well, and I never had the display adapter.

It's really too bad there are no plans for Hexbus emulation for the CC40. The whole point of emulation is to bypass the difficulties of obtaining real hardware, and it feels that the whole project is incomplete without it, not to mention rather pointless if one cannot save programs externally...

• Like 1

Can they be reverse engineered?

Someone might be able to get the schematics from Michael Becker/SNUG, since he made one. I do have the schematics for the Hexbus floppy disk controller in my possession, and I sent them to Ksarul as well. Ksarul also now has possession of the aforementioned Hexbus floppy disk controller as well.

• 1 month later...

To confirm the above, I just tried the CC-40 in MESS emulation with the solid state cartridges

(I only have the original hardware with the memo processor)

pascal.bin
run "pascal"

cc40_ea_bank0.bin
run "alds"

cc40_ea_bank1.bin
run "mp"
(which is memo processor and contains a word processor and communications for hexbus devices)

(use the FN , and FN . to switch between wp and comm)

Statistics
run "stat" (<- not working ?)

For the others I do not know the run " " command, but as understood from the

forum the cartridges are not dumped correctly ? (also I agree with the statement

that the hexbus need to be emulated, otherwise programs/documents cannot be

saved).

Solid State (SS) Cartridges:
ok SS-1001 Pascal module (run "pascal")
ok SS-3004 Memo Processor module (run "mp") (= word processor + comm)
* SS-3006 Finance module (run " ")
* SS-3007 Electrical Engineering module
* SS-3008 Statistics module (run "stat")
* SS-3009 Mathematics module (run " ")
* SS-3024 Games module (run " ")
ok SS-xxxx Editor Assembler (run "alds")

? other SS-xxxx ?

Manuals for CC40 itself:

http://www.datamath.net/Manuals/CC-40_QRC_US.pdf
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/ti/cc40.pdf

It's really too bad there are no plans for Hexbus emulation for the CC40.

I do have some plans for Hexbus emulation for the TI-99/8 emulation, but as always, there is a huge pile of work that I need to work down step by step.

We have the ROM dumps of the Hexbus floppy drive and photographs of the PCB, so maybe someone would give it a try?

There are unfortunately a precious few here who have the expertise to handle such a project, and I am definitely not one of them :(

The problem is of course that there is not much CC40 activity going on (read none), primarily because of the difficulty of disseminating programs. A hexbus floppy drive would be great, but something based on more modern removable media like CF or SD cards would really make program exchange very easy.

With all that said, given the display limitations of the CC40, I'm not too sure how much program variety we can get out of it, and thus how much interest it would generate in the long run, whether through emulation or hardware. For me it's more of an academic interest than a truly practical one. I have created a few programs for it, including a WWI aerial combat game, and maybe 6 or 7 years ago I distributed a collection of all the listings at the Chicago Faire, but I have not touched the CC40 since...

Now I would be interested in it's potential as a robotic controller either through the Hexbus port or the parallel port accessory, but that would require machine language access which is unavailable except to a select few individuals with the EA cart. Cloning these carts would be certainly be of great interest to me. Ksarul? Anybody???

It may be possible to clone cartridges--but I'd have to develop a cartridge board for it first. That also has the disadvantage of having a relatively high startup cost for the number of them that I'd need to make (nothing horrible, but nowhere near as low as the boards for the TI due to very low volume).

It may be possible to clone cartridges--but I'd have to develop a cartridge board for it first. That also has the disadvantage of having a relatively high startup cost for the number of them that I'd need to make (nothing horrible, but nowhere near as low as the boards for the TI due to very low volume).

I would definitely be interested!

I'd be interested as well. Has anyone ever come up with a method of saving/loading programs without a hexbus?

Amongst the collection of cc40 computers I also have one that was put out by a horse racing company. Maybe the cartridge for it is something special?

If you have the Horse Racing (Handicapping?) cartridge--that one isn't dumped. There are maybe half a dozen different third party cartridges for the CC-40, all of them are very rare now. Each of them was issued with a CC-40 in some form of specialized market and most of these branded devices were never sold commercially. There are a number of these special objects as TI-74 releases as well. The devices may have been common back in the day, but because they weren't in the hands of "computer people" not too many of them were saved.

If you have the Horse Racing (Handicapping?) cartridge--that one isn't dumped. There are maybe half a dozen different third party cartridges for the CC-40, all of them are very rare now. Each of them was issued with a CC-40 in some form of specialized market and most of these branded devices were never sold commercially. There are a number of these special objects as TI-74 releases as well. The devices may have been common back in the day, but because they weren't in the hands of "computer people" not too many of them were saved.

Yep, the horse racing one... the Games II one, and possibly a few others.

Also, the 32K ROM and CPU ROM from the CC-40+ still needs to be dumped too. :) That model had a cassette DSR in it that was probably relatively close to the encoding used by the TI-99/4A. It could be easy to put the MESS TI cassette routine in it, probably.

https://youtu.be/e5YLiarJjnk?t=8m51s

^^ There's a video of it loading off of cassette

https://youtu.be/e5YLiarJjnk?t=4m49s

^^ There's the snippet with what it sounds like.

I'd be interested as well. Has anyone ever come up with a method of saving/loading programs without a hexbus?

Amongst the collection of cc40 computers I also have one that was put out by a horse racing company. Maybe the cartridge for it is something special?

You can use the TI74 PC interface with the CC40. This is what I do, but it's a hassle because the transfer software is in DOS and so I need to setup an old laptop every time I want to save or load a program.

What would be so great is the TI hexbus interface which would allow a direct connection to the TI. ksarul?

You can use the TI74 PC interface with the CC40. This is what I do, but it's a hassle because the transfer software is in DOS and so I need to setup an old laptop every time I want to save or load a program.

What would be so great is the TI hexbus interface which would allow a direct connection to the TI. ksarul?

Has anyone tried using VirtualBox for these old transfer programs? Supposedly the parallel port is direct pass-through controllable.

Yep, the horse racing one... the Games II one, and possibly a few others.

Also, the 32K ROM and CPU ROM from the CC-40+ still needs to be dumped too. :) That model had a cassette DSR in it that was probably relatively close to the encoding used by the TI-99/4A. It could be easy to put the MESS TI cassette routine in it, probably.

https://youtu.be/e5YLiarJjnk?t=8m51s

^^ There's a video of it loading off of cassette

https://youtu.be/e5YLiarJjnk?t=4m49s

^^ There's the snippet with what it sounds like.

ISTR the Famicom system used a similar device to the QuickDisk. Do you know if anyone is re-creating those Alps plotter gears with 3D printers? I have a Commodore 1520 with one of those broken gears.

That tape definitely sounds similar to the 99/4 tape once it gets to the actual data, but it sounds like there might be some kind of extra records at the beginning, maybe like a file name or something. (Made it through the whole video, you came to the same conclusions :))

From the audio I extracted, Tape994a is able to detect the sync but not extract any data. It does not even recognize any bits in the sound stream. Probably the background noise and lose of fidelity through the air gap. But interesting to try, anyway. I bet it would be possible to clean that audio up from the video.

ISTR the Famicom system used a similar device to the QuickDisk. Do you know if anyone is re-creating those Alps plotter gears with 3D printers? I have a Commodore 1520 with one of those broken gears.

That tape definitely sounds similar to the 99/4 tape once it gets to the actual data, but it sounds like there might be some kind of extra records at the beginning, maybe like a file name or something. (Made it through the whole video, you came to the same conclusions :))

From the audio I extracted, Tape994a is able to detect the sync but not extract any data. It does not even recognize any bits in the sound stream. Probably the background noise and lose of fidelity through the air gap. But interesting to try, anyway. I bet it would be possible to clean that audio up from the video.

I'll have to see if I still have that tape. It's probably in a box somewhere, and I'm still mostly packed (moving yet again at the end of this month.. but hopefully the last time in a while!)

• 2 years later...

Thanks to quite a few people helping, everything we have related to CC-40 ROMs has been dumped so that MESS emulation work can commence.

The last part, the CC-40 32K BIOS (bank switched) has been dumped.

With that... I present to the community, every existing CC-40 cartridge binary + the 32K BIOS + 2K on-CPU ROM.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19597743/ti-99-4a/CC-40%20DUMPS.zip

Hap is working on the emulation in MESS. Ksarul helped with lending an ear (during a very long phone conversation). JGardner from the Vintage Computing forum helped with giving me the correct assembly to force a bank switch (and then copy to a 32K SRAM) to enable the ROM to be dumped. Lee, who just sold his entire CC-40 collection, also gave me some ROMs to compare against.

Enjoy, everyone. Let's hope Hap gets us a good CC-40 emulator going here soon :)

Hey everyone -

First draft of the emulation by Hap has been committed to MESS:

http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/src?id=47c0a0a9927a45bfa0223e295c6eb46a9784f8e3

Notes from Hap:

"It works, but when doing some test calculations it gives a weird result sometimes. I suspect a bug in our TMS7000 core so I will look at that next. After that's done, I will improve the driver more, such as adding the cartridges."

If anyone gets it working, let me know :)

Hi, are these files still available ?

thanks