IGNORED

So this is Destruction Derby?

Pixelboy

Up until now, there was some confusion in my head between Destruction Derby by Exidy (1975), and Demolition Derby by Bally Midway (1984). Today I finally found some footage of the Exidy game, and my first reaction was "That's...... it?" You just touch the little cars with your own to make them disappear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uuV89IQ5w0

This looks like something an experienced ColecoVision homebrewer could code in a single week-end. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: An here's Death Race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBtt72aJLA

Gosh, you could put Death Race on the same CV cart as Destruction Derby!

• Like 1

Yes, i think we can put on a 32k cartrige 4 or 5 games from end of 70's easly. These game are very simple , but very fun when player with Friends.

I think a cartridge grouping games like Destruction Derby , Death Race, Night Driver, Gun Fight and Tank would be doable in few days and fun.

• Like 2

I've been requesting Death Race for years. Just please keep it true to the original with the b/w graphics.

And steering wheel support as well, even though this implies being unable to put the car in reverse gear when two players are playing with two steering wheels plugged into the console. :)

I think that if someone coded such games as Destruction Derby and Death Race, a proper one-player mode should be included with a robot opponent car. Chasing cars (or people) alone in your car for a limited amount of seconds gets old really fast, and not many of today's ColecoVision owners can easily find a second player to play with...

• Like 1

And steering wheel support as well, even though this implies being unable to put the car in reverse gear when two players are playing with two steering wheels plugged into the console. :)

I think that if someone coded such games as Destruction Derby and Death Race, a proper one-player mode should be included with a robot opponent car. Chasing cars (or people) alone in your car for a limited amount of seconds gets old really fast, and not many of today's ColecoVision owners can easily find a second player to play with...

Just make it another option so purists can play single player with only one car on the field

That's pretty much the same with all Exidy games... (Well, the B&W at least)

Rip Cord , Side Trak also look like crap on Arcade , doesn't mean you can't make fun games out of them on CV

I still agree with vectorgamer, we should have a faithfull version of Death Race

This arcade is so bad ass

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

Up until now, there was some confusion in my head between Destruction Derby by Exidy (1975), and Demolition Derby by Bally Midway (1984). Today I finally found some footage of the Exidy game, and my first reaction was "That's...... it?" You just touch the little cars with your own to make them disappear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uuV89IQ5w0

This looks like something an experienced ColecoVision homebrewer could code in a single week-end. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: An here's Death Race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBtt72aJLA

Gosh, you could put Death Race on the same CV cart as Destruction Derby!

This game is racist... They're only running over the white guys!

• Like 1

One of my fondest arcade memories is Death Race. Every year the county fair would set up with their tent of 70's era arcade games. Death Race was always one. I played the crap out of it every year until the fair was gone. I haven't seen the game in person since.

The game has some of the best painted graphics on glass of any game, Truly a work of art! This is one I wanted to add to my b/w collection but $4500 is not in my arcade budget.

One of my fondest arcade memories is Death Race. Every year the county fair would set up with their tent of 70's era arcade games. Death Race was always one. I played the crap out of it every year until the fair was gone. I haven't seen the game in person since.

There's a Death Race cab at Funspot in Laconia, NH. I play it every time I visit Funspot and I've seen a lot of other people playing it as well.

• 1 year later...

Strangely enough, this 1975 title was to be the upcoming release for the ColecoVision according to the back of the box for the Expansion Module No. 2 (the Driving Module).

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleco-Vision-Expansion-Module-2-With-Box-Turbo-Cartridge-/121700271986

Exidy later licensed the game to the struggling Chicago Coin Company, who produced the game under the title Demolition Derby. This deal meant Exidy's original version was no longer made so as to avoid competition, but with CCC on the brink of financial self-destruction, Exidy eventually learned from this mistake. Since then, one of their missions was no longer to license games to other companies.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981