IGNORED

TI-99/4A keyboard repair

TheRealAnubis

I've searched about tips for repairing TI-99/4A keyboards, but I haven't found much information. Mostly the advice is to replace the keyboard.

The type I have has the plastic sheets with the contact points on them. I tried a clean and that didn't really do anything. I have a couple of TI's, and none of the keyboards are working fully. One of them has keys that look a little different than the regular ones. The font is different or something. I'll take a pic when I get a chance.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for getting one of these working, let me know! Also, I'm looking for a couple of black key keyboards. I'd take a beige key one if no one has any black ones to spare. I'd rather have a working TI than one that's color matched and only has 6 keys working!

Thanks!

I've searched about tips for repairing TI-99/4A keyboards, but I haven't found much information. Mostly the advice is to replace the keyboard.

The type I have has the plastic sheets with the contact points on them. I tried a clean and that didn't really do anything. I have a couple of TI's, and none of the keyboards are working fully. One of them has keys that look a little different than the regular ones. The font is different or something. I'll take a pic when I get a chance.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for getting one of these working, let me know! Also, I'm looking for a couple of black key keyboards. I'd take a beige key one if no one has any black ones to spare. I'd rather have a working TI than one that's color matched and only has 6 keys working!

Thanks!

Try << HERE >>

• Like 1

Before you blame the keyboard itself, make sure that the flat cable between the keyboard and the motherboard is sound. I had a cable start to 'tear off' the keyboard PCB and had to resolder it. Afterwards the keyboard works fine. Unfortunately some of the video RAM went out on that unit, which I have yet to fix...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I rather prefer to revive older threads than making new ones, if the topic is OK, so here we go :)

From an eBay-auction: "This particular unit is missing its 1, 2, and left shift keys"

and then: "Keys for this type of switch can be found on DEC VT100 terminal keyboards, among others...."

IS IT ??

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks!

Or if all else fails you could upgrade to a USB keyboard!

HERE

I can tell you this keyboard MOD is great!

Or if all else fails you could upgrade to a USB keyboard!

HERE

I can tell you this keyboard MOD is great!

I hope he got it fixed by now, as the original post was June 10th 2014! :-D

Yeah, that USB keyboard looks sweet, maybe someday, in the mean time,

I'm enjoying the heck out of a Tursi DesignTM PS/2 keyboard shown << HERE >>.

Haha, actually, I ended up having to box all of my projects up in order to prepare for a move. I'd been in the house since 1998, so I accumulated a ton of stuff. Anyway, as I've finally finished the move, at some point I'll be digging all of my projects out and resuming my tinkering.

Glad to see there's some hope for getting around the dead keyboards!

• Like 2