IGNORED

Adventure Demo - 7800basic

Missed a spot. :P Doesn't Curt or someone else own the Zyzygy trademark?

attachicon.gifBently Missed a Spot.jpg

I have no idea, The original company was spelt with an 'S' Syzygy i just put in the Z for obvious reasons and to pay homage to the atari history, Whether Curt has trademarked it also using a Z i wouldnt know, i just thought i was being clever ;)

I have no idea, The original company was spelt with an 'S' Syzygy i just put in the Z for obvious reasons and to pay homage to the atari history, Whether Curt has trademarked it also using a Z i wouldnt know, i just thought i was being clever ;)

Oh yeah, the intentional misspelling with "Z" alluding to "Zelda." Lulz...

I loved your "Ledgend of Zyzygy" box artwork; it's awesome!

• 5 months later...

There's not really been any work done on this in the past 6 months but I wanted to release the map demo as I promised back in June. I was waiting to make it "perfect" (which it's still not), but it's pretty close. There are a few map screens with incorrect colors and may also be bugs I never found.

With that said, this demo accurately replicates the original map from Zelda. This is only a map demo and there's nothing to do but walk around the overworld and look around. There are no enemies, no dungeons, no weapons, nothing else. You can press the fire button to see a sample inventory/status screen. As I mentioned back in June, due to Nintendo's copyrights I won't be releasing an actual game with Zelda graphics and I won't be posting the code, graphics, or screen maps for this version. This is just a binary release to show what "could" be done.

Adventure_Map_Demo.a78

Adventure_Map_Demo.bin

post-2143-0-82378700-1419954522_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-57500800-1419954523_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-48162200-1419954524_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-48940100-1419954525_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

As I mentioned back in June, due to Nintendo's copyrights I won't be releasing an actual game with Zelda graphics and I won't be posting the code, graphics, or screen maps for this version. This is just a binary release to show what "could" be done.

That didn't stop Princess Rescue from being made... And sorry Atari fans, LoZ is infinitely better game than Adventure. ;)

• Like 1

Do these maps actually take up the whole of those 256kb, or did you pick 256kb just as an arbitrary choice?

The maps are 240 bytes each, so with 127 map screens thats around 30k of ROM. 256Kb is just the format I picked originally to give myself room to grow.

• Like 6

Not sure where all the Adventure hate is coming from, but a game with a sole developer that invented a genre near the dawn of home gaming is being compared to a game that a team built 7 years later. If Zelda wasn't richer for all of the hindsight, technology progress, development budget, and manpower I'd be concerned.

Personally, I'd welcome seeing a homebrew with complexity between the two. Adventure excels at pick-up and play. Zelda excels at rich story telling and puzzles. I think there's a sweet spot between the two that's been rarely explored, and can be better tackled by a dev team of one.

• Like 11

Not sure where all the Adventure hate is coming from, but a game with a sole developer that invented a genre near the dawn of home gaming is being compared to a game that a team built 7 years later. If Zelda wasn't richer for all of the hindsight, technology progress, development budget, and manpower I'd be concerned.

:thumbsup:

More (surprising) information and insight...NES Baseball is superior to Atari 2600 Home Run... :-o :roll:

Getting back to the awesome work and great demo from Maximus...

Fantastic effort, thank you, sir! Really appreciate you continuing to take a stab and crack at this kind of game. An adventure title on the 7800 would be wonderful and fill a nearly empty space in its game library; especially when you have the graphic power to handle it, minus the flicker. ;)

• Like 4

The 7800 has too much power. I am gunna cut my maria chip in half to give the NES an advantage. After checking out and playing the homebrews and later titles without any extra mapper logic and chips on the carts the 7800 is by far the superior system.

Its funny how flickerness fanboys see otherwise.

I played a game of bad dudes and whatnot and after 5 seconds decided that 2600 missle command or yars revenge is a more playable and easier on the eyes and more fun game to play Wow did nintendo ever go backwards with the horrid sprite capabilities of the flicker machine.

Maximus,

A couple of things, at least one I'm hoping may help:

1. 62 --> 94 (Believe would work better ;) )

2. The "specks" in the water, under the NES, take on the color of the surrounding environment rocks or shrubs. A unique value/color is not being utilized. If surrounded by brown rocks/shrubs, the color of the specks are the brown of the rocks/shrubs. When surrounded by green shrubs, the color of the specks are the green of the shrubs.

post-18-0-90052800-1420055095_thumb.pngpost-18-0-26676800-1420055098_thumb.png

A "tricky" part (but still not requiring an additional unique color) may be when there's two different sets of rock/shrub colors; then, a part of the water specks will match one of the rock/shrubs colors and the other part of the water specks will match the second set of rock/shrub colors.

post-18-0-62333000-1420057737_thumb.png

Hoping the above may help with freeing up some color usage, if/when you decide to pursue this further, and is beneficial one way or another. :)

• Like 3

That's sweet. Pity this game will never get finished. :sad:

Personally, I'm glad it will not be an exact clone of NES Zelda. Maximus has already demonstrated here, a brilliant and excellent take on the Overworld Map of the NES original. Looking forward to whatever he incorporates and what hybrid ideas come together to form a final 7800 game, if/when it reaches that point. :)

• Like 3