IGNORED

Adventure Demo - 7800basic

Personally, I'm glad it will not be an exact clone of NES Zelda. Maximus has already demonstrated here, a brilliant and excellent take on the Overworld Map of the NES original. Looking forward to whatever he incorporates and what hybrid ideas come together to form a final 7800 game, if/when it reaches that point. :)

Thank you for posting the video, Trebor. I still plan to collaborate with RevEng on an adventure game based on this demo moving forward. It will take a long time but I do plan on giving an original title based on this demo a shot. Honestly it could take several years and I wouldn't be able to do a complete game without RevEng's help. The map demo was easy compared to what it would take to make a complete game. I like RevEng's comment about a balance between Adventure and Zelda, I'd prefer more of a pick-up game like Adventure, but a balance between the two would be ideal. For now I'm going to be working on a smaller arcade style game just for fun before I tackle a major project. I'll post an update when I have something worth posting, hopefully in the next month or so. :)

• Like 8

Thank you for posting the video, Trebor. I still plan to collaborate with RevEng on an adventure game based on this demo moving forward. It will take a long time but I do plan on giving an original title based on this demo a shot. Honestly it could take several years and I wouldn't be able to do a complete game without RevEng's help. The map demo was easy compared to what it would take to make a complete game. I like RevEng's comment about a balance between Adventure and Zelda, I'd prefer more of a pick-up game like Adventure, but a balance between the two would be ideal. For now I'm going to be working on a smaller arcade style game just for fun before I tackle a major project. I'll post an update when I have something worth posting, hopefully in the next month or so. :)

Is there any way the game cart could support on-board saves, or would it require a third party device such as the AtariVox or the expansion module? I've got an AtariVox but the Expansion Module is currently MIA and IMO too expensive.

As far as I know the AtariVox or the SaveKey are the only way to save games. Support for that could be added, the 7800 supports it (RevEng can correct me if I'm wrong). SaveKeys are pretty cheap, CPUWIZ still sells them as far as I know for $15 or so. I have one from him. I already have a large block of memory reserved for me on the SaveKey & AtariVox so I can add permanent save space for multiple future games.

Edit: No idea about the expansion module (I assume Curt's XM?). If you've got an AtariVox you're already good to go.

Yup, SaveKey/AtariVox is the way to go for game data right now.

Technically one could use the High Score Cart to save data (HSC is also part of Curt's XM) but at this point there are very few reliable HSCs in the wild, and they can't really hold a lot of data anyway.

• Like 1

Yup, SaveKey/AtariVox is the way to go for game data right now.

Technically one could use the High Score Cart to save data (HSC is also part of Curt's XM) but at this point there are very few reliable HSCs in the wild, and they can't really hold a lot of data anyway.

Unless you want to produce a game, which will not work in emulators. :P

I have successfully experimented with the EEPROM of the PIC (with my custom BIOS on it and custom routines for the 7800) on the VersaBoard and also figured out a way to hook up a NVRAM chip to my MegaCart+, much like the bastard expensive chip in the MCP devcart (it's 512K, look it up). You can even choose to program the NVRAM with your "ROM space" and just leave 'N' amount of bytes in the chip to be a save area. ;)

But you knew that already. :D

• Like 1

I have successfully experimented with the EEPROM of the PIC (with my custom BIOS on it and custom routines for the 7800) on the VersaBoard and also figured out a way to hook up a NVRAM chip to my MegaCart+, much like the bastard expensive chip in the MCP devcart (it's 512K, look it up). You can even choose to program the NVRAM with your "ROM space" and just leave 'N' amount of bytes in the chip to be a save area. ;)

So this would be comparable to games like Chetiry and Star Castle Arcade which natively save high scores or game progress to the cart, right?

If I'm understanding this, it's possible to make a cart with a save game function?

@Atarius Maximus

Yet another question, is it possible to game a like Haunted House but with more "stuff".

That didn't stop Princess Rescue from being made... And sorry Atari fans, LoZ is infinitely better game than Adventure. ;)

Now now. No need to fall into the trap of acting as though one's opinions are facts. I loved Adventure but, despite trying, always had a hard time getting into Zelda.

Back on the original topic - the map looks great. Anyone know if Chad Schell ever did a 256K bankswitch file for the Cuttle Cart?

Edited by DracIsBack

If I'm understanding this, it's possible to make a cart with a save game function?

@Atarius Maximus

Yet another question, is it possible to game a like Haunted House but with more "stuff".

Based on CPUWIZ's reply, it sounds possible but with no support for emulators. Regarding Haunted House, yes, an expanded version of Haunted House could be done. Sounds like a great project for you to take on with 7800basic! I loved that game as a kid.

Back on the original topic - the map looks great. Anyone know if Chad Schell ever did a 256K bankswitch file for the Cuttle Cart?

There is 78POK512 which is a 512K + Pokey banking file. You might be able to double up the 256K BIN up to 512K. It depends if the memory area from $4000-$7FFF is used or not.

Mitch

Based on CPUWIZ's reply, it sounds possible but with no support for emulators. Regarding Haunted House, yes, an expanded version of Haunted House could be done. Sounds like a great project for you to take on with 7800basic! I loved that game as a kid.

Yes, the NVRAM method could be described to emulators fairly easily, but the PIC method is pretty tricky. My VersaBoard is the first board that can trigger the IRQ in the 7800, which is what I am using. Nevermind the PIC BIOS opcodes, I don't think I have the patience (or time) to try to explain how that works to an emu-coder.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this is all 100% based on assembly code tests. Getting this into BASIC is a whole other story, I imagine the IRQ communication code will be a little tricky.

There is 78POK512 which is a 512K + Pokey banking file. You might be able to double up the 256K BIN up to 512K. It depends if the memory area from $4000-$7FFF is used or not.

Mitch

Greek to me haha. For some, it's probably really straight-forward, but I have no clue how to do this.

Edited by DracIsBack

• 1 month later...

This needs to be made. Screw the copyright police.

Just do a pallet/graphics swap and make the protagonist a girl, Call it Lore of Zenia or something.

As long as they don't sell it...

We've also played Ms. Pac-Man, Space Duel, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, and Scramble before. ;)

Zelda on the 7800 would be great, even in an abbreviated form.

I agree on both points; however those older games were much easier to get arcade-perfect. Recreating Zelda, by homebrewers, inevitably will be compared/criticized against the original. I still say DO IT!

And if you make the protagonist look a lot like Zelda, you may even get the FemFreq shout-out.

Not exactly. See also "Miss Male." Anita Sarkesian has a certain way of stabbing devs in the back who try to create female friendly games or games with female protagonists. Female characters are either gonna be a Miss Male, Smurfette, Damsel in Distress, Overtly Sexualized, or some other "Misogynist" stereotype.

And if your character somehow breaks the mold, she will find a way to critique and criticise it by creating some new cookie cutter definition, and upload it in a new video. I've watched all her videos; she has almost nothing positive to say about any game. Okay maybe she had some small amount of praise for Knytt Underground and Ittle Dew, but that's about it if I recall.

Also if your character happens to be male, you're by default a sexist pig who contributes nothing to society. :P

Edited by stardust4ever

Let me say that if I got this game on a cart I would ask in a room that has me (a straight White guy in his 40s who treats everybody equal), a 19 year old Indian Asexual woman, a straight 25 year old Black guy, a 18 year old Bisexual Asian girl, a Mixed raced 25 year old Gay guy, a 30 year old Trans Gender White guy, a 58 year old straight Spanish woman, a straight teen girl from this youtube channel

Anita, Colbert and others with totally different personal views on almost everything and be like "Hey who likes old school video games? Cool, let us play this 7800 homebrew game called Elda. Yes it is a NES Zelda clone for the Atari 7800, which was hard to make and coded differently plus we call the playable character Elda (or maybe Ink) who saves Zellduh since people think the NES character is named Zelda when in fact it is Link, and we did all this to duck new copyright laws and put it on a cart." Enjoy! Edited by ataritiger

Sorry, I should have explained that one of the videos does have foul language. I am just used to it. My question is though, will this Adventure type 7800 game be using audio like this?

Swearing doesn't bother me. I do it too, but every other sentence is a bit excessive. People kinda fail to get their point across that way.

Lore of Zeddi would be awesome using Pokey. I think there's enough channels to do it.