IGNORED

Adventure Demo - 7800basic

Amazing word, Pac-Man-Red! You're very talented!

I'm a little confused about some of the sprite examples you've given, though. Forgive my ignorance, but I assume that with most of the spritesheets you've posted, the Zelda sprites are on the left and you give your own take on the right. I noticed in a couple instances, though, that your versions use 4 colors instead of the limit of 3 (such as with the compass and book sprites in this post). Are those just rare examples where a sprite would actually be made up of two overlapping sprites (as would need to be the case for the supersprite of the bosses you posted above)?

I would presume it would just be done by using 160B for those particular sprites if needed.

Amazing word, Pac-Man-Red! You're very talented!

I'm a little confused about some of the sprite examples you've given, though. Forgive my ignorance, but I assume that with most of the spritesheets you've posted, the Zelda sprites are on the left and you give your own take on the right. I noticed in a couple instances, though, that your versions use 4 colors instead of the limit of 3 (such as with the compass and book sprites in this post). Are those just rare examples where a sprite would actually be made up of two overlapping sprites (as would need to be the case for the supersprite of the bosses you posted above)?

It's due to those sprites sitting on a black background. See Defender_2600's example. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump - just because ;-)

And on the discussion of Nintendo's lawyers, weird that they'd let this go back in the 1980s but gripe about a 7800 game in this decade

I'm surprised they never went after "Zelda Classic" on the PC.

I need to figure out the construction set that Zelda Classic has.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Bump - just because ;-)

And on the discussion of Nintendo's lawyers, weird that they'd let this go back in the 1980s but gripe about a 7800 game in this decade

So did the Nintendo Lawyers actually contact someone on here? I look through this thread and there are a bunch of Zelda like images being used for samples for this 7800 Basic Adventure thing. There was someone that mentioned they are making the planned game with original graphics. The main character should not have a similar likeness to Link. Whatever you do, do not re-use any Zelda music. That is one of the things Princess Rescue got nailed about.

Another game that Nintendo Lawyers never went after was "Golden Axe Warriors" for the Sega Master System. VERY close to NES The Legend of Zelda.

Now I am the author of the 8-bit Secretum Labyrinth and considering a 7800 port. I built that game with ideas that it have a few minor Zelda like features, be as elaborate as Zelda. But keep it original. One big unique dungeon for the first few games in the series. Later ones could do the Over World and under-world dungeons. My trick we that I looked up general mythical medieval monsters that no one really has a copyright on. Like Dragons, Imps, Chimera, Reapers, Trolls, Elves, etc.

Use this to come up with names for your stuff. https://www.oldenglishtranslator.co.uk/Also use Latin, old German, or other foreign languages from Bing Translator or Google Translator.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 4

Well, it's not like Nintendo has a copyright on top-down-screen-scrolling games at any rate. So long as people aren't ripping off nintendo assets (graphics, music), not using nintendo trademarks and the like, then there's nothing that Nintendo should be able to do to them. Most of the projects that get shut down do exactly that.

• Like 2

Princess Rescue all over again... :roll:

Nintendo can shove it! :lol:

Very easy to say, but are you the one making the games? The people making these games should be concerned. Nintendo is a big company that can afford big lawyers. I would not try selling anything close to Zelda.

A likeness would be if your character looks like Mario, Link, Sonic The Hedge Hog. Even a Yellow Circle with a pie piece opening and closing could make you liable for copyright infringement.

I would remove some of those sprite sheets and replace them with something generic.

I made Secretum Labyrinth that is somewhat has Zelda similar elements, but went for adding more RPG like features into it, like Experience Points and Skill Levels. Different Keys for different locks.

Very easy to say, but are you the one making the games? The people making these games should be concerned. Nintendo is a big company that can afford big lawyers. I would not try selling anything close to Zelda.

A likeness would be if your character looks like Mario, Link, Sonic The Hedge Hog. Even a Yellow Circle with a pie piece opening and closing could make you liable for copyright infringement.

I would remove some of those sprite sheets and replace them with something generic.

I made Secretum Labyrinth that is somewhat has Zelda similar elements, but went for adding more RPG like features into it, like Experience Points and Skill Levels. Different Keys for different locks.

That post is nearly 3 years old now. Pity there hasn't been much development as of late.

And the guys selling Donkey Kong remasters on various classic platforms should be concerned as well, but they're not in the store and only sold privately for good reason.

So did the Nintendo Lawyers actually contact someone on here?

They've certainly cease-and-desisted a number of classic gamer initiatives relating to their IP through the years. They actually cite IP protection as one of their big concerns, especially given the value to their stock.

BTW - I loved Golden Axe Warrior on the SMS. Probably beat it seven or eight times before I ever tried Zelda hehe

Now I am the author of the 8-bit Secretum Labyrinth and considering a 7800 port. I built that game with ideas that it have a few minor Zelda like features, be as elaborate as Zelda. But keep it original. One big unique dungeon for the first few games in the series. Later ones could do the Over World and under-world dungeons. My trick we that I looked up general mythical medieval monsters that no one really has a copyright on. Like Dragons, Imps, Chimera, Reapers, Trolls, Elves, etc.

I think you'd have many fans if you did. Your game is different from Zelda in appearance, I think. Far less similar than - say - Golden Axe Warrior that you note above. Certainly less than the Overworld demos as well.

@Peteym5: That Old English Dictionary site is really helpful, especially when coming up with spell and monster names. Know any for Old German, Old Norse, Old Swedish, Old French, or Ancient Greek?

As for the demo, I have to agree on using less-infringing characters and graphics.

I think you'd have many fans if you did. Your game is different from Zelda in appearance, I think. Far less similar than - say - Golden Axe Warrior that you note above. Certainly less than the Overworld demos as well.

I am looking to use the over world / under world ideals for the next Secretum Labyrinth game. But I will not be using like stairs or steps going down. Something like a fancy brick like structure around a gap leading off the screen. However an entity like Nintendo probably will not come after you unless you made some of your characters look similar and replicated the music. I am very concerned people are duplicating Zelda and Nintendo stuff down to the pixel. If you made your own original sprites, you can sell your game and you can be the one suing if someone duplicates or pirates your game material.

@Peteym5: That Old English Dictionary site is really helpful, especially when coming up with spell and monster names. Know any for Old German, Old Norse, Old Swedish, Old French, or Ancient Greek?

As for the demo, I have to agree on using less-infringing characters and graphics.

http://wold.clld.org/vocabulary/11

Just google search. try ancient instead of old.

https://translate.google.com/has Latin

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

Latin can be a treasure trove of names for potions, spells, and monsters. It's a dead language that few still speak, very easy to translate generic sounding words and simple phrases into awesome royalty free names.

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+translate&oq=google+translate&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.6124j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

Latin can be a treasure trove of names for potions, spells, and monsters. It's a dead language that few still speak, very easy to translate generic sounding words and simple phrases into awesome royalty free names.

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+translate&oq=google+translate&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.6124j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

No kidding. You can imagine a person's let down when they realize the Brassica Volumine their character used to recover health was a cabbage roll.

• Like 2

So did the Nintendo Lawyers actually contact someone on here?

I was not contacted, but I presume that's because I never released an infringing game (it was simply a map demo) nor did I ever share any of Nintendo's intellectual property that I re-created for the demo to allow anyone to compile it or use it for something else. I did release a game using the same game "engine" as the demo about 5 months ago titled "Legend of Silverpeak" that is completely original. It's "complete" in that it's playable game that can be played through and beaten, however it's lacking some elements I planned on including and some in-game options remain unimplemented. It's certainly incredibly difficult and time consuming and hard to remain motivated to complete a game in this genre, I really just burned myself out and have been working on other projects - mostly in iOS development.

• Like 1

I was not contacted, but I presume that's because I never released an infringing game (it was simply a map demo) nor did I ever share any of Nintendo's intellectual property that I re-created for the demo to allow anyone to compile it or use it for something else. I did release a game using the same game "engine" as the demo about 5 months ago titled "Legend of Silverpeak" that is completely original. It's "complete" in that it's playable game that can be played through and beaten, however it's lacking some elements I planned on including and some in-game options remain unimplemented. It's certainly incredibly difficult and time consuming and hard to remain motivated to complete a game in this genre, I really just burned myself out and have been working on other projects - mostly in iOS development.

Completely understandable and it's incredible what has been accomplished so far thanks to RevEng's 7800basic and your dedication and skill in developing and programming such a title and the various other demos and games produced.

It may be easy to forget at times that there were team(s) of people making up the games we may long to see developed. For instance, with a game like the original Legend of Zelda under the NES:

Koji Kondo as sound composer, Shigeru Miyamoto in the producer/director chair, Takashi Tezuka in a director role, Toshihiko Nakago as programmer. There was an entire software development group managed by Eiji Aonuma. It was all a part of the formerly called R&D4; today known as Nintendo Entertainment, Analysis, & Development.
That is a lot of individuals for one game, keeping in mind its their full time job, making a salary.
Again, incredible job Atarius Maximus in accomplishing what has been released as a free-time/hobby project. When and if you're able to develop "Legend of Silverpeak" further, it is certainly something to very much look forward to; as is the case for all the very talented software and hardware developers out there and the various items they are working on as resources allow. Thank you for your efforts!