IGNORED

Tandy Color Computer 3- Couple questions

Stevaside

...what I was really wanting to know is if there were any higher quality options involving the RGB out to an HDMI port on my TV or something...Im guessing I could do the RGB to VGA cable & run that to a VGA to HDMI upscaler if no such thing as a RGB to HDMI exists....

There's no point in trying to convert to HDMI, it won't improve things any. The neat thing about the CoCo 3 was that it had 3 different outputs. The original CoCo only had RF modulated output on channel 3 or 4, which is God awful due to the compression the composite signal gets when modulated onto a broadcast channel.

The second was a proprietary connector for the CoCo 3 RGB monitor.

The third was composite output. This is your best choice, and converting it to HDMI isn't going to improve the graphics. The composite out will artifact too so you'll get 4 colors in PMODE 4. You also have line level RCA jack audio out too, so you're all set with a couple of RCA cables. At least try that option, all you need is a couple of cables, and you'll find the picture will be crisp and clean and will deliver the best picture you're going to get out of a VDG

With those choices and a modern TV, you have RF or composite to choose from. Obviously composite is the better of the two and the one you should use.

Definitely consider the SuperIDE cartridge, it'll replace both disks and hard drives.

Edited by John_L

No argument here, that's why they made the RGB monitor for the CoCo 3, but Stevaside doesn't have a CM-8, he stated he's going to display it on his (obviously modern) TV. The best possible setup would probably be to use the CoCo 3 with Roy Justus' RGB to VGA coverter, then connect the converter to the VGA input on the TV. That would likely give you the best display in 80 column and 640x192x4 color displays. I'm not sure how much better it would be though, and Roy's converter doesn't support artifacting. With a CM-8 Monitor there was no artifacting so CoCo 1 & 2 games that use PMODE 4 will show up in black and white, not black, white, red, blue. I'm pretty sure that a straight composite to composite connection would be the best way to go. For starters, you only need RCA cables that you probably already have spares for, so the cost is nothing, and you'll be able to get artifact colors, something that the CoCo 1 & 2 software relies on heavily.

It comes down to what you plan to do with it. If you're just planning on development and CoCo 3 games, then the CoCo3 -> RGB to VGA adapter -> VGA in on TV would be the way to go.

If you plan to do more gaming, and want artifacting support, then composite would be better. If you do decide to go with Roy's adapter, since you're going to connect it to a TV with composite inputs, you could do both. That way, you'd have the RGB output for any high resolution CoCo 3 text and graphics modes, and if you wanted to play an old school CoCo 1/2 PMODE 4 game, you could simply pick up the TV remote and change the output to composite video input, and switch back to VGA for anything else.

http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/RGB_to_VGA_Converter

I'm not sure how much, or if he still sells it, I think he does, but you'd have to contact Roy.

Edit... I did a bit more research on Roy's adapter, and he does still make and sell them ($48). It seems he does have a backlog though. If you want one, you can contact Roy via rjrtty@aol.com. It make take a bit for a response, but he'll contact you when it's ready at which point you can pay for it and he'll ship it.

Edited by John_L
  • Like 1

Yea, once I get my Coco3 shortly, guess I'll just stick to composite for a while....My TV has a VGA input, but it won't be compatible with the Coco3 because it can't even handle my Dreamcast's resolution. I had to buy a seperate VGA to HDMI upscaler in order to get it to work, which still wound up making a huge improvement in the picture ....What I was thinking was to maybe get that cable you mentioned & then run it through the same upscaler, but I get the feeling it won't make a big difference....Maybe someday.....Right now I'm more preoccupied with getting some more games first (12 so far & 3 on the way :),) & hopefully the accessories needed to experience the novelty of playing some cassettes & floppies soon too! haha

&I intend it mainly for gaming....Matter of fact the only progamming I've ever done in my life was at about 8 years old on my Coco3 lol.....I vaguely remember spending some time sitting there with the book for hours to make a couple simple graphics appear on my TV..I was all like "Look Mommy!" hahahaha.......I do see myself messing around a little for fun again too tho

• 1 month later...

I also ask if could sending me pdf of the instruction manual that came with the pak. I have lost mine after several moves. If anyone has one I would greatly appreciated if could get a copy. I want it due to it having what games where on what disk on pak.

There's a PDF copy online for download here: http://www.colorcomputer.net/downloads/CoCoNet_QuickDocs.pdf