IGNORED

TI-99 Cartridge port WARNING!

Hi,

I'm new in the TI hobby, but I've had 4 consoles apart in the last few weeks, and EVERY one has a problem with the cartridge port. The little 'felt' piece inside of the port is deteriorating and turning into some type of sticky oily substance.

I even have one that looks white and new, but on closer inspection, it's soaked with this oily substance! Once the deterioration gets advanced, the 'felt' turns brown and starts breaking off and getting inside the cartridge and the cartridge port.

I would highly recommend taking your TI apart and popping off the right angle connector, then remove the black cover piece (snaps off), then I've been taking a small straight tip screwdriver and scraping that gunk out of there, followed by a wash and dry with alcohol.

If everyone already knows about this, I apologize, but just in case, I wanted to help!

:grin:

Update - Well, I guess it isn't a secret - here's some good pictures:

http://mainbyte.com/ti99/minimem/cart_fix.html

Edited by TheRealAnubis

The oily gunk on the felt really is a light, non-conductive oil. That's why the new one looked like it has oil in it. You are right that the stuff causes problems. I used to take them out and spray them with contact cleaner to get rid of the gunk and put them back, but they are getting to the disintegration point now, so the only real option is to remove them. The oil was to collect the dust and little bits of metal dust from the cartridge contacts, but it was a really bad idea. Once the gunk had too much metal dust in it, it bean to short out the various contacts and the machine became erratic or didn't work at all.

Your advice is good too--I generally remove the felt from any console I get now, even the more-or-less pristine ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...