IGNORED

Anyone have one of these SD2IEC devices for C64?

I'm finally ready to purchase one of these devices!

I'm eyeing this one:

http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id14.html

Also on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beige-SD2IEC-Commodore-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulation-SD-Card-Reader-Vic20-C128-C64-/330919501256?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4d0c56ddc8

Has anyone purchased this device? Any info on the good, bad and ugly of it?

I know the Ultimate 1541 is the best, but it is just to pricey in American dollars. I do have a 1541 drive that is in working condition as well.

I know the Ultimate 1541 is the best, but it is just to pricey in American dollars. I do have a 1541 drive that is in working condition as well.

The one i have was given to me by a friend when he upgraded to a Turbo Chameleon having seen mine in action; it's the unit i leave unattended at gaming events and i'd say that at best it's at best okay. Single file games will work, multi-loaders might work depending on the fastloader used and some fastload carts work but not others. The 1541U2 and Chameleon cost more for very good reason, they can both load pretty much any disk image you throw at them (including some G64 files which the SD2IEC won't even touch) as well as having an REU for those cracked games that can cache the entire game to RAM and handling EasyFlash and other cartridge images.

All SD2IEC devices have the same compatibility, which as TMR said is good for the smaller/simpler single disk games. Pretty much forget about cassettes or multi-disk games. The 1541 Ultimate II is the best device, but it's double the price or more.

Try searching for the Commodore 64 "Blast Collection" of roms, I believe almost all of those will work on SD2IEC. It may only be 2/3 of the games that work on 1541 Ultimate, but it's still like 1800 games!

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

Have you considered an uIEC/SD from Jim Brain? It might not look as snazzy without the enclosure, but at least you shouldn't have to worry about import duties. It uses the same SD2IEC firmware.

http://store.go4retro.com/uiec-sd/

I was looking at this at one time. It's a bit of a Frankenstein monster but if the compatibility is identical then you are right, it would save some serious bucks. I'm sure someone could create a case for it as well if they really wanted to. I may have to reconsider that route.

OK with all those stuff, it's confusing which one would be ideal for me. I loved games like Bard's Tales and some of AD&D games. Some of those disks have gone bad and are copyprotected in original form (usually mutilated sector as it can't be copied) but the downloaded images are cracked. Which SD drive would be ideal for me or am I better off with cheaper SD2IEC and copying to blank good disks? My copy of Fast Hack'em 5 is still good. :D

(other games I like to play aren't copy-protected but I need to re-copy disk 1 of Ultima 5, the original one I got is coming up with "drive not ready" error right away and my backup either won't load or loads and then crash)

Another issues to look out: if you don't have JiffyDOS in both system and in disk drive(s), the games will load slow as heck off disk drives. Do the SD drives get much better speed or is it still the same as a real 1541? If it's much better, I might just stick to running games off SD cards. I know SD2IEC has built in JiffyDOS and would be faster if I buy the chip for my 128D.

• Like 1

OK with all those stuff, it's confusing which one would be ideal for me. I loved games like Bard's Tales and some of AD&D games. Some of those disks have gone bad and are copyprotected in original form (usually mutilated sector as it can't be copied) but the downloaded images are cracked.

To use the SD2IEC or variants you'll very often need to use the crack because protected disks tend to be imaged as G64 rather than D64 files and the SD2IEC firmware isn't currently supporting G64. Also, if the games you're interested in are doing anything during loading (playing music, updating animations or whatever) then those won't work either. If you want to test specific games, load them into VICE with "True Drive Emulation" disabled because, whilst it isn't exactly the same deal, you'll get a good idea of what will or won't work.

Another issues to look out: if you don't have JiffyDOS in both system and in disk drive(s), the games will load slow as heck off disk drives. Do the SD drives get much better speed or is it still the same as a real 1541? If it's much better, I might just stick to running games off SD cards. I know SD2IEC has built in JiffyDOS and would be faster if I buy the chip for my 128D.

JiffyDOS only works if the program doesn't override it in much the same way that most other options like the Action Replay or Final Cartridge do - quite a few modern cracks have an option to disable the software fastload or replace it for a more compatible option. The 1541 Ultimate 2 and Turbo Chameleon emulate the drive as exactly as they can (so if a program has a super-fast turbo it'll load quickly and protection "sees" a real drive) but will also pretend to be a fastload cartridge as well and users can optionally select a file from the cartridge menu which directly dumps it to RAM from the cartridge in seconds.

• Like 1

I'm finally ready to purchase one of these devices!

I'm eyeing this one:

http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id14.html

Also on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beige-SD2IEC-Commodore-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulation-SD-Card-Reader-Vic20-C128-C64-/330919501256?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4d0c56ddc8

I use one of those regularly. :) It'll load and run standard and non-standard formats, but can only make floppies from standard format: D64's. PRG's load and run. 1GB SD card should be all you'd need.

• Like 1

This is the one I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-64C-128-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulation-SD2IEC-SD-Card-Reader-Reset-/261503855686?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce2d82c46

I also helped with the manual so it would be more accurate. Great guy selling these, and it looks nice too!

Not sure if I'd want one stuck behind my 64 or even my 128D. I'd prefer a version with cable that i can mount anywhere. Nice design but built in user port connector for power is probably good for someone who don't plan to change SD card often, don't need to reset or change setting or something.

Edited by Uzumaki

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-64C-128-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulation-SD2IEC-SD-Card-Reader-Reset-/261503855686?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce2d82c46

I also helped with the manual so it would be more accurate. Great guy selling these, and it looks nice too!

That looks nice but it won't work with a VIC-20 or Plus/4 it if you have them in your collection.

Not sure if I'd want one stuck behind my 64 or even my 128D. I'd prefer a version with cable that i can mount anywhere. Nice design but built in user port connector for power is probably good for someone who don't plan to change SD card often, don't need to reset or change setting or something.

I'm sure someone could rig up a cable that would do the job. I don't mind having it where it is - plugged into the user port on the back of my C64 - it's a whole lot smaller than having a 1541 drive on my desk, and a simple task to get the SD card out (with the power off, of course) for me. If you have a system that's 'built in' somehow and it's difficult to get to the back of your machine, I can see how that might be a problem!

Here's a pic:

post-37051-0-50701500-1402929134_thumb.jpg

I don't always have the monitor hooked up like this - I usually just have it connected to my PC monitor instead.

Edited by TheRealAnubis

That looks nice but it won't work with a VIC-20 or Plus/4 it if you have them in your collection.

Correct! It won't work with the C-16 either (no user port). I got this one because I'm not as 'into' the Vic-20 or Plus/4 at this time. The 64 is the one I had in High School, so it's my main interest in the Commodore world!

That one looks nice. I rather the other style with the power lead running to the datasette port. It gives me the room to use a real 1541 or 1571 as well. A must for playing games that save; also easier for multi-disk games.

• Like 1

Assuming the user port is only used to draw power, I think the device TheRealAnubis bought would work fine with a VIC-20, unless of course there are some mm mismatch between the VIC and C64, I doubt there is but I never measured it that closely. You know the difference between the VIC and C64 are the cartridge ports, not the tape and user ports (well, some signals differ on the latter, but not physically).

• Like 1

That one looks nice. I rather the other style with the power lead running to the datasette port. It gives me the room to use a real 1541 or 1571 as well. A must for playing games that save; also easier for multi-disk games.

You can hook up your 'real' drive first, then chain this one off of it!

No but I really really really really really want one. Because I'm unemployed(and some say unemployable,lol) Im just going to go with the cheapest sd card reader for the C64 I can find on ebay and hope for the best.

Edited by yarjr
  • Like 1

The SD2IEC is a great budget digital solution. It's about 60% compatible at best, but when you bear in mind how vast the C64 library is, that's still a pretty big chunk and most of the top titles (Giana Sisters, Impossible Mission, Mayhem in Monsterland, Creatures, Armalyte etc.) pose no problems. Plus, the SD2IEC is also good for other C= 8-bit machines like the VIC-20 and the C16/Plus-4.

• Like 4

No but I really really really really really want one. Because I'm unemployed(and some say unemployable,lol) Im just going to go with the cheapest sd card reader for the C64 I can find on ebay and hope for the best.

Good luck! I hope whatever you get works great! I've found that if some of my original disks that I ripped don't want to work on the SD2IEC, I just go online and find a cracked one, which works great!

The only bummer I've had was trying to play the Ultima III and Ultima IV GOLD editions for the 1581 drive. Magervalp did a lot of code re-writing and improvement on both games (not to mention the trainers, if you want to use them) which sped up the games quite a bit. Apparently he used some fast-loading type routines that will only work with an actual 1581 drive, and NOT the emulators - at least as of yet.

Having both Ultima III and Ultima IV on ONE single sided 3.5" disk is like a dream come true (especially if you played it back in the day and can vividly remember all of the disk swapping going on - town disk, player disk, dungeon disk, town disk, etc...)

• Like 1

I'm actually new to the Commodore 64. Always wanted one. Found it,a printer,and a disk drive CIB for a very cheap price the other day at a yard sale!
Lot of cool games. The first two I want to play are Wasteland and the Gina sisters.

• Like 1

I'm actually new to the Commodore 64. Always wanted one. Found it,a printer,and a disk drive CIB for a very cheap price the other day at a yard sale!

Lot of cool games. The first two I want to play are Wasteland and the Gina sisters.

There's no shortage of good games on the C64. Some of my favorites:

The Ultima series (IF you like RPG type games - these were some of the first of that type) (Ultima III, IV, and V are my top picks, just because I played them so much!)

H.E.R.O - a neat Activision game

The Way of the Exploding Fist - karate fighting game

Loderunner and Championship Loderunner (the champ version doesn't really play well with the SD2IEC yet) - these also have a level maker so you can make your own fun - seriously one of my ALL TIME favorites!

Summer Games / Winter Games - two pretty fun games to play with friends.

Spy VS. Spy - another game to play with friends - can get crazy!

Satan's Hollow - arcade style game that's fun.

ANY of the Infocom games if you like word games - my top favorites are Planetfall, Infidel, Hitchhiker's guide, Deadline, the Zork series...

Law of the West - hilarious game! You'll want the fastload cartridge in for this one, though... otherwise slooooow load times take away from the fun.

Also - a warning about the brick style power supply on your C64 - those are the MAIN failure part, and they take out the RAM when they go - you may want to either find a C128 power supply and rewire the plug, a RAM expansion power supply, or get one of Ray Carlsen's external POWER SAVERS for $50 - that's the deluxe one with two LED's, I think he has a cheaper option as well). Any of these options are good, because believe me, desoldering eight 16pin RAM IC's, then putting in sockets and new RAM is no small job!

And if you like to tinker a bit - take the 64 apart and ditch the cardboard 'shield' in it, and then put some stick-on heatsinks on the SID, and the PLA at the minimum (I use pure copper VGA heatsinks) - these IC run hot and they are the next in line for death - usually from overheating!, and pop the top off the VicII chip (it's in the metal box with the holes in it) and clean off the old heatsink paste and apply new- and you don't need as much as usually is on there!

Good luck and have fun!

At some point I'll see if I can dig up some .D64 images to send you to try out!

Edited by TheRealAnubis
  • Like 1