IGNORED

Anyone have one of these SD2IEC devices for C64?

So I bought that sd2iec from Greg2600 and love it but I am having trouble getting multidisk games to work. Might just be the files I'm using.

Also having trouble finding certain games in NTSC.

Anyway LOVE IT!

Nothing like replacing a clunky 1541 with a slick little SD card drive!

• Like 1

Got any good links to NTSC fixed games I might have missed RealAnubis?

http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id6.html

Did you check the guy's site who made it? He has an SD2IEC Collection for download. It has just about every C64 there ever was, and multi-disk games are already setup. By setup that means you put each disk image file in a folder, with a single batch/text file (call it autoswap.lst) that lists each file name inside. You run that batch file to play the game, and then swap disks using the button on the SD2IEC. The downside is that even doing that, many of the bigger/more advanced disk and tape (converted to disk image) games in that archive will not work on the SD2IEC. The only thing that has the hardware to run them is the expensive 1541 Ultimate II, because it is 100% emulation of the 1541 drive. The reason the archive I gave you is missing games (which are on the UK site's archive) is that they likely will not work on the SD2IEC, which I explained to you before the purchase. The archive you have is paired down, because it is games known to work (for the most part) on the SD2IEC.

I myself had similar issues, and when I inquired on a C64-centric forum like Lemon64, the response I got was, "games don't work" on that. However, I went a step further and tested a few of those same games on emulators, including on my OUYA. I had similar issues, where the game never seemed to load. Not until I turned the fast loader on in the emulator. SD2IEC doesn't do fast loading inherently, although I've read that programs like JiffyDOS (requires a chip soldered into C64) can be used with it, and that does fast loading. There are fast load cartridges as well. All that was way over my head, and I did report my issues to the UK seller. He said he would check when he had time, but I decided to spend the money on the 1541 Ultimate-II instead.

Edited by Greg2600

A lot of the games you have on the SD card don't load because their PAL. I know this because Ive replaced them with NTSC fixed files that worked. Some files just don't load for some unknown reason.
I have also added games not found in that directory that work fine.
Im looking for more NTSC fixed games. According to lemon64 members creatures works on the sd2Iec but finding an NTSC fixed copy is a bit tricky and even then some files just don't want to load.
Commodore 64 collecting/gaming definitely favors those in PAL regions.

Edited by yarjr

Most often they don't run or have unbearable headache inducing graphical glitches. I have been able to get several to work but Ive had to go through 7 or 8 files,loading,resetting,loading resetting just to get to one that works.
I have yet to get multi-disk games to work.
Anyone got any advice?

Edited by yarjr

Got any good links to NTSC fixed games I might have missed RealAnubis?

Hmmm.. My links are probably all long dead now - Anything in particular that you're looking for? I'll try to do some digging in my Commodore stuff later this week...

Most often they don't run or have unbearable headache inducing graphical glitches. I have been able to get several to work but Ive had to go through 7 or 8 files,loading,resetting,loading resetting just to get to one that works.

I have yet to get multi-disk games to work.

Anyone got any advice?

Building a 'library' of working games is always a challenge, but once you've straggled through tons of images, you'll have something that many do not take the time to have - a lot of really working games!

Multi disk games are a bit of a pain - you have to name them correctly - I usually put the game in a folder with that game name, then just name the disk sides 001, 002, 003, etc. Then sometimes it seems you have to press the 'next' button to go to the next disk twice. I hope that helps a little..

Edited by TheRealAnubis

Searching for NTSC fixed versions of games at the CSDb is probably the best bet because, if a fix exists, that website archives as much as it can by the people who would've done it.

Games like Creatures don't work on NTSC without modification because they rely on cycle-accurate timing for the scrolling which has to be altered; they can be fixed but it's a matter of finding a crack that works but isn't broken otherwise.

• Like 2

Sometimes when I use the SD2IEC and load FB the screen scrolls automatically which makes it difficult/impossible to control. Any idea why this would happen? I do not have any stuck keys, etc... as the computer works great until I load FB.

Hmmm.. I haven't gotten any screen rolls, but on some of the older 64's the letters will randomly change colors as soon as you move the 'cursor'. It could be exposing a weak component in your 64 possibly? Is it the 8 pin video, or the older version? And, how do you have it connected - RF or DIN cable?