IGNORED

Choose Your Own Adventure?

cvga

No, this isn't about the popular series of books I loved as a kid. Instead, I noticed that I have a lot of Adventure variations. Am I missing any here?

Adventure:

Adventure.jpg

Another Adventure:

AnotherAdventure.jpg

Adventure Plus:

AdventurePlus.jpg

Epic Adventure:

EpicAdventure.jpg

Evil Magician Returns (front and back):

EvilMagicianReturns.jpgEMRback.jpg

Drakon Croisade:

DrakonCroisade.jpg

and for the Atari 5200, Adventure II:

AdventureII.jpg

I know there are other adventure games but are there other Adventure-based games? What am I missing?

• Like 1

Do not forget the "Adventure II" from the Flashback 2, 3 and 4. Definately one of the best, as it's not too much over the edge.

I "found" the dump on the net somewhere. Sadly there's no PAL version available, and a quick look indicated it's not as straight forward as the Adventure PAL conversion was.

Since I lately got a Supercharger: is there any "extended 6k hack" of Adventure for the Supercharger available? The original version runs fine.

The original game of Adventure will run correctly on an unmodded Supercharger (as you noticed)...the bankswitching hotspot addresses are not used by the program. Any of the existing 4k hacks based on the program will also work AFAIK. Nobody bothered to make a 6k Supercharger-specific hack - it's bankswitching method is a little tricky compared to others. And if you are going beyond 4k already, may as well go up to 8k or higher so everybody could enjoy it...right?

For games on cartridge, there is the Haunted Adventure Trilogy, which feature hacks of hacks that started with Adventure and Superman and encompassed 8KAdvent along the way (hi, Nukey!). If I'm reading the archives correctly, one of the trilogy was released on the Flashback 2 as Return to Haunted House.

Cool to see a copy of Adventure Plus in your collection. I created that hack way back in 2003. Tony's Haunted Adventure Trilogy is awesome. There's probably more than one hack out there based on my old app, including many I never shared. :)

That was back in 2003? Wow, time goes quickly.

• 2 months later...

This thread title reminded me (off-topic) of something I tried as a kid - to program a CYOA book into our Vic20. Imagine my surprise when its 3.5k of ram got filled only a few pages in. This experience eventually drove me into comp sci as an obsession and profession, a couple of decades later.

It's funny because today, textual data is some of the smallest stuff we have, while games take up gigabytes. But back then, you could cram a pretty complex and fun game into what amounted to 3-4 pages of ASCII. Or PETSCII, as the case may be.

post-9364-0-50252500-1347767616_thumb.jpg

There is also Adventure Enhanced and Nukey's incredible multi-color kernel with all it's possibilities.

BTW, yes, Quest for the Golden Chalice on the Coleco is amazing. Don't bother searching on ebay. More will be available from Pixelboy soon.

Edited by KevinMos3

• 1 year later...

Reviving a dead thread because I've been playing a ton of Quest for the Golden Chalice in ColecoVision emulation recently. This is an awesome take on Adventure! Download the rom here and play it with nanochess' excellent CoolCV emulator if you don't have a CV. Now, back to trying to beat Level 4. I miss the infinite lives in Adventure...