IGNORED

ST single filed games

Nice idea making them more portable, did you create these? Do they have any RAM requirements above the originals?

Of course these incredible list of hard disk, TT, and Falcon games here would all be easy to copy a floppy, most have extra memory requirements and aren't single file though: http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/patch.php

• Like 1

Really good idea to make compilation like this. Of course, it could include some titles with more than 1 file - if there are 3-4 files, it is still not hard to handle, copy.

Considering RAM requirements, some need min 1MB for sure, even if original needs only 512KB, because one file is result of packing some game data into, what will be loaded from RAMdisk during play.

Some files have long file names. Also I tried copying the entire group from one partition to another and started to get errors on my Mega STe TOS2.06.

This was after renaming all the files that seemed to have long file names. So, not sure what was going on with that.

I guess this is all beside the point. The point is being able to copy a file to a floppy to run it from there.

It is a nice collection. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I don't care too much about single/multi file, it's just awesome to have these games easily portable- disk images are a bit of a pain sometimes.

Having a folder for each game is handy for other files to do with the game such as instructions, compatibility notes, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wanting an easy way to copy some single filed games to a PC formatted 720k disk to get started, here is an archive with some games. These are PRG and TOS filed games for easy transfer.

http://www.filedropper.com/steprgfiles

Enjoy

Thanks TJ. I downloaded the games and copied them to a USB memory stick. Now to get a Gotek drive to work with my ST. :grin:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I really don't want to underappreciate someone's work, but there are some really silly mistakes here - saying it after 10 minute long short check.

First - still present not proper filenames - not long, just with low case, what is treated as long filename by copy . In Steem it may look fine, because it converts it, but it's Steem, not TOS who does it. Recommended is to use Total Commander - where it is well visible, and there is option to disable long file names, so it will copy with 8.3 name to target for sure.

2 items pulled my attention: Road Runner and Xenon 2.

Road Runner crashes after few seconds, and no way that it can be packed in 78 KB . This is just untested.

Xenon2 in single file of 900 KB - sure, that's what people needs :-D Fits not on floppy, needs 4 MB RAM. This is clearly made for hard disks and rather for Falcon, TT than STs. Year 2006 - I guess before ULS .

With this approach could put there all Klapauzius patches - they are usually single file .

I made some single filings in past - like Starglider, and it was in time when my system for gaming from hard disks was under work, and support for TOS calling games was in early stage.

But even then, I did not use RAMdisk in that purpose, because I had in mind people with less RAM in machine. Basically, single filing has sense if game loads some files at start - then can include them in executable (packed) - that usually needs not more RAM. Otherwise, you just loose more than what you get.

Easy transfer because it is single file ? If someone can not copy 10 files, he may have problems to copy 1 file too :)

Ahh, this reminded me that I made something in past - what resulted with game in 2 files - it could be in one, but I did not care to put packed data and launcher/depacker in 1 file.

Since I had 2.5 MB RAM + HD floppy with my 520 ST it was about putting as much possible on 1 floppy, and being able to play it simply, without some waiting. The whole thing was in making RAMdisk with all files, and packing it. When wanted to run SW, just clicked on launcher, which created RAMdisk, depacked all files, and then just could run it from C: . After couple seconds - fast depacking, not usual one, where needed to watch those colored lines over 40 seconds :)

But it is obsolete now, in hard disk era, despite that can work well.

Example: BOMBUZAL.ZIP

Not concerned on the naming of the files. The user can name it what they want when they copy the file to their disk. Yes the file name needs to be 8 characters long. Thanks for letting me know about the non working ones. I’ll remove them. Let me know if anyone finds any more. Most have been tested but a few might of slipped by that might not work. I add to this archive as I run across single file packed games from my ventures of trying new games. I just like the single filed games. Just my preference. (Maybe from my time with the Atari 800XL). If someone wants to start another collection of other multiple file versions, that is fine.

Oh on the 900k file, yes it’s for newer Atari models and it fits on a 1.44MB disk for use on Falcon030 or TT030, Mega STE ;)

Edited by tjlazer