IGNORED

CV Power Switch Mod

HkryCrkStudio

Hi all - I'd like to mod the CV's power switch and stick an illuminated push-on/push-off switch in. I know this has been done, I saw one somewhere with a nice blue light. No problem doing the electronics, but I'm having problems finding the right switch. Does anyone know if there is a particular switch (that's easily available to Canada by mail order) that will drop snugly right into that 1" by 5/8" hole? Or will it be necessary to change the size of the hole? If there is an old thread about this please direct me there and accept my apologies. Any thoughts are welcome - thanks.

i think you need to modify the case, I remember I had to expand, so it fit the switch, but I dont have light in my switch. Just a simple switch and wires to the board. It look nice, if my CV was ever assembled. Normaly the Cover is off anyway ;) cause my CV is mainly for development and testing, and my test card, can be in the game slot when the cover is on :(

i think you need to modify the case, I remember I had to expand, so it fit the switch, but I dont have light in my switch. Just a simple switch and wires to the board. It look nice, if my CV was ever assembled. Normaly the Cover is off anyway ;) cause my CV is mainly for development and testing, and my test card, can be in the game slot when the cover is on :(

doubledown's illuminated switch did not require any modification on the console casing. I should know, I happen to own one of his modded consoles. :)

I remember doubledown being very discrete about where he found the switch with such perfect dimensions. He didn't want to share that information.

I don't understand why so may people want to change the original power switch. No one seems to want to do this with the Intellivision or any other console. If your having a problem with the switches electrical continuity then just clean it. Much easier than replacing it and most importantly it won't alter it's original sexy appearance.

Yep, the NKK brand switches are what DoubleDown used and no case modding is needed. If you are interested in going that route, check out the link above that grips03 posted, all part numbers are right there and Mouser and Digikey are the suppliers i used. However, i should note that the NKK switches themselves are quite expensive compared to the average DPDT switch out there.. then again, they are top quality, industrial grade switches and will probably outlast the console itself. They look very cool when illuminated and i think its worth every penny personally but thats just me.

I posted the part number of the switch DD and later I used. Just search for digikey

and then you see:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/201074-power-led-or-new-power-switch

post 21 and post 32.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I was just putting together a Digikey order too so this is perfect.

Yep, the NKK brand switches are what DoubleDown used and no case modding is needed. If you are interested in going that route, check out the link above that grips03 posted, all part numbers are right there and Mouser and Digikey are the suppliers i used. However, i should note that the NKK switches themselves are quite expensive compared to the average DPDT switch out there.. then again, they are top quality, industrial grade switches and will probably outlast the console itself. They look very cool when illuminated and i think its worth every penny personally but thats just me.

I agree. That's why I'd like to mod one of my CV consoles this way - I do think the original look is sexy, but from the moment I received my first CV at age 13 there was something about the original slide switch I didn't like. The way you have to "dig" with your finger to move it... a push button is so much easier. I know kids are starving in Africa and my complaint about the power switch is foolish but hey, this is a fun hobby and we do what we do eh...

• Like 1

I don't understand why so may people want to change the original power switch. No one seems to want to do this with the Intellivision or any other console. If your having a problem with the switches electrical continuity then just clean it. Much easier than replacing it and most importantly it won't alter it's original sexy appearance.

Sometimes its not enough to just clean it I guess, mine wend apart, and it seems like at the ColecoVision, its a common failure. Even your CV powers up sometimes if the powerswitch is not 100% ok, it can make weird things - equal to vram errors, games freezing etc.

I agree. That's why I'd like to mod one of my CV consoles this way - I do think the original look is sexy, but from the moment I received my first CV at age 13 there was something about the original slide switch I didn't like. The way you have to "dig" with your finger to move it... a push button is so much easier. I know kids are starving in Africa and my complaint about the power switch is foolish but hey, this is a fun hobby and we do what we do eh...

They can't eat a power switch anyway, it will give them indigestion.

• Like 1