IGNORED

Games that deserved to have a lynx port.

Prosystemsearch

Tempest, Blaster, food fight, Total Carnage, Toobin, Xevious, jr. Pac man, Fantasy Zone, Marble madness, Xenophobe, Midnight Mutants, Journey, Quantum, Bubble bobble, Strider, Guantlet, Meltdown, acid drop, gyruss, street fighter 1 and 2, Berzerk, cool spot, joust 2, airball, Plutos, Ballblazer, Pitfall, Cool spot, Planet smashers, Wizard of Wor, Zaxxon, time pilot, missing in action, and Ninja Gaiden 2, Dark sword of Chaos. ;-) ;-) ;-) :-D :-D :-D :spidey: :spidey: What are some of your thoughts??

Edited by Prosystemsearch

So many... andI hope over time hombrewers will release adequatd alternatives for those games.

First I think of Sega's super scaler games. The Game Gear could not do them justice, but imgine how well Space Harrier and Outrun would work on Lynx.

Then it needs Run'n Guns. Sideview like Rolling Thunder (which was announced but unreleased), Contra or Metal Slug. And Top Down like Ikari Warrior and Commando.

Bomberman with Comlynx. Sage has an early vesion of a Bomberman clone and must be persuaded to finish it. ;)

Also a Mario Kart clone. Road Riot shows how well it would work technically.

A JRPG is in the works already, but a Zelda clone would rule too.

And I'd love to see Superfly and Downfall come to the Lynx.

• Like 2

You can remove those from your list, since they are already ported :)

Wolfenstein 3d would have been nice, with multiplayer. I wonder if that would have saved the lynx, since multiplayer fps' became a populair genre.

Real Gauntlet wasn't ported. Atari Corp got the "Gauntlet" license from Atari Games and renamed "Time Quest & Treasure Chests" as "Gauntlet - The Third Encounter".

Any good Atari Games arcade title that wasn't ported to the Lynx should be...

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

Real Gauntlet wasn't ported. Atari Corp got the "Gauntlet" license from Atari Games and renamed "Time Quest & Treasure Chests" as "Gauntlet - The Third Encounter".

Any good Atari Games arcade title that wasn't ported to the Lynx should be...

Fatal run, and License to Kill; as well as konami's gradius and salamander.

I am gonna limit myself to 10 games, that kinda could actually have happened back in the day. So, this are the 10 games that i wanted to see the most on the Lynx:

BC Kid (the Amigas version of Bonks Adventure) (For gods sake we need to get the Zaku team to do a Bonk inspired game for the Lynx, like Zaku is to Zonk!)

R Type

Turrican 2

Out Run

Space Harrier

Rastan

Street Fighter 2

Mortal Kombat

Atari Karts (this would have rocked on the Lynx)

Wolfenstein 3D (its kinda happening now, right?)

Snow Brothers

Trog

bomberman

Outrun

Afterburner

Space Harrier

R-type

Rastan

Rainbow Islands

Parasol Stars

Galaga'88

Cadash

Wonderboy in Monsterland

Rolling Thunder

Commando

Forgotten Worlds

Fantasy Zone

Shinobi

Bonk's Adventure

Bonk's Revenge

Smash TV

Ys 1: Ancient Ys Vanished Omens

YS II: Ancient Ys Vanished

• Like 1

Zelda 1 type of clone would be doable with slightly upgraded graphics.

I been figuring out what to do with the screen size for this kind of project.. the thing is that on the original Gameboy (and GC) the whole screen represents a piece of the map and doesn't scroll. This simplifies a lot of things for the engine. The Lynx screen on the other hand has a small height and would probably need scrolling to make a nice experience, but it'll make the game logic probably more difficult

The Lynx screen on the other hand has a small height and would probably need scrolling to make a nice experience, but it'll make the game logic probably more difficult

I think the Lynx has enough power to do this, and it's made for scrolling:

Sprites are placed in a virtual screen map (called "the world"), which may be up to 65536 units high by 65536 units wide. The physical screen acts as a window on this "world" map, and may be scrolled across it simply by changing its start location (jeez!).

source

I think flipping and scrolling have both pro's and cons gameplay wise.

Bill & Ted is an adventure that does scroll btw.

I think the Lynx has enough power to do this, and it's made for scrolling:

source

I think flipping and scrolling have both pro's and cons gameplay wise.

Bill & Ted is an adventure that does scroll btw.

I know all about the Lynx and scrolling ;) (see my work in progress);

its more about real-time (enemy) interactions on top of that.. of course all is possible, but my work in progress has been delayed over and over again due to complexity of developing on the Lynx and my advice to anyone willing to try such ambitious project is to keep things as simple as possible. Else you'll end up with yet another project that has been half implemented.

With that said, I'm actually looking forward to the moment I wrap up that big project and move on to a Zelda-like game. Its been on my wishlist for years now.. or that metroid-vania styled ninja game thats been in the back of my mind..

Edited by Ninjabba

I know all about the Lynx and scrolling ;) (see my work in progress);

Wow, that is looking good! It's scrolling too :)

its more about real-time (enemy) interactions on top of that.. of course all is possible, but my work in progress has been delayed over and over again due to complexity of developing on the Lynx and my advice to anyone willing to try such ambitious project is to keep things as simple as possible. Else you'll end up with yet another project that has been half implemented.

Yep, I now everything about half implemented projects, on the 2600 instead :(. There is always the temptation to make things nicer. I now reduced my Ballblazer kernel from 16kb to a 2kb variant, so it fits in one bank, maybe including gameplay code (and mentally, it fits in my head). Dumbing it down is the only way to save this project...

I think Bill and Ted's, has 'gaps' between areas, where nothing happens, to overcome the game-logic difficulties. Now that I think of, the GBA Zelda's also have 'areas' where the scrolling stops between two areas. So they are internally, of the screen-flipping variant.

Zelda 1 type of clone would be doable with slightly upgraded graphics.

I been figuring out what to do with the screen size for this kind of project.. the thing is that on the original Gameboy (and GC) the whole screen represents a piece of the map and doesn't scroll. This simplifies a lot of things for the engine. The Lynx screen on the other hand has a small height and would probably need scrolling to make a nice experience, but it'll make the game logic probably more difficult

I worked on something like this for a few months in 2009 before switching over to my current project (actually closer to metal gear, but an overheard view action game in any case), so a few things to keep in mind:

Scrolling is not going to make your engine any more or less complex. However, it will make the player's life much more difficult. I wondered for awhile why Link's awakening did not scroll and the sequels on the GBC did- it's not a technical limitation, it's for clarity.

These old LCDs are very blurry, having a static background in a portable game which depends upon the player looking for details (cracks, stray blocks, etc) is incredibly helpful to the player. Even though solutions are being made available to replace the Lynx's LCD (candle's LCD replacement + VGA out, I'm going for TV-out), I'd still recommend targeting the original LCD. In any case, these are portable games and we can expect the player to be in a moving environment like a train or bus while playing. So we want the display to be as readable as a map.

The lucky thing is that we have no hard pixel fill limit on the Lynx (unlike in the gameboy), so you can have a see-thru status overlay instead of a bar. Considering this, the screen size is not so bad.

Your biggest performance hit will come from having to do a z-sort on the movable objects and background graphics in order to get the angled view to look correct (this can be ignored if your game is very low detail).

Scrolling is not going to make your engine any more or less complex. However, it will make the player's life much more difficult. I wondered for awhile why Link's awakening did not scroll and the sequels on the GBC did- it's not a technical limitation, it's for clarity.

These old LCDs are very blurry, having a static background in a portable game which depends upon the player looking for details (cracks, stray blocks, etc) is incredibly helpful to the player.

Thats a good observation. I actually wondered about the same thing and it makes total sense now that you mention it. I've only played Link's Awakening on the GC so far and found its gameplay excellent to try a clone of. Now I'll have to get my hands on another Zelda game to see how that works.

Your biggest performance hit will come from having to do a z-sort on the movable objects and background graphics in order to get the angled view to look correct (this can be ignored if your game is very low detail).

Hence me referring to Zelda 1, There's very little z-sorting going on in that game. Introducing an angled view is of course a lot of fun to work on, but once you have it working it means that you'll have to draw all the stages with that in mind which increases the size of the project considerably. Talking man-hours here :)