IGNORED

Droid2600 killed by latest version of Android

bomberpunk

like the topic says, the latest version of Android Kit Kat 4.4.3 has made Droid2600 useless. the app can no longer point to the folder i put the roms in. when i click Preferences the app kills.

when i try to locate the folder of ROMs, it is now hidden, and i can only choose from these selections:

acct/

d/

default.prop

dev/

etc/

factory/

file_contexts

mnt/

proc/

property_contexts

seapp_contexts

sepolicy

sys/

system/

ueventd.grouper.rc

ueventd.rc

vendor/

the funny thing is when i have my tablet (Nexus 7) connected to the PC, i can't find any of those damn folders listed above. wtf.

i may try deleting it and sideloading it again unless anyone here knows of a fix.

I've not allowed my N7 to update in some time... still on 4.2.1.

Unlock + root is a must for Nexus 7 - IMO the "developer" status of the tablet is a bit of a major crock because it's just as locked down as almost anything else at factory spec.

Problem is, the unlock process kills any user data and often the system software updates will revert back to a locked state.

But the advantages outweigh the inconvenience, aside from allowing access to the entire file system, rooting the tablet also allows such useful things that should have been "normal" as using USB OTG cable to be able to access external storage.

I've got a Nexus 7 (2012 version) and found the Nexus 7 Toolkit was handy for backing up as well as rooting and up/downgrading.

It looks like Droid2600 is no longer able to see the internal SD mount and is defaulting to the root. You *might* be able to access your rom directory through mnt / sdcard.

If that doesn't work, and 2600 emulation is a priority for you, I'd consider looking for a custom older rom through xda-developers forum and downgrading.

Google made these changes in KitKat for security purposes, they didn't want apps writing on top of others without permission. If you put your emulator folder and its ROMs into the main memory (you might need to use a computer to do this) everything will be addressable again. You might even be able to move it to the SD card from the Settings/Storage menu from the KitKat OS.

The Nexus 7 doesn't have an SD card for storage, it's all one bucket, so this issue didn't really affect that tablet.

It's a minor PITA on the Nvidia Shield, which has a smallish onboard storage space and in my case, 64GB of ROMs on the SD card. Bit of a drag to reorganize while tethered to a PC because file managers don't work right anymore. The good news is that many of the emulator developers seem to be catching on and are updating their apps to support SD cards in the approved KitKat way.

BTW why not just use 2600.emu for this?

• 11 months later...

Same here. Droid2600 wont go to a sub directory to find the roms. Atariod does work on my zte zmax which is Kit Kat. I should also add that you can program it to work with a usb pc game controler. You need a otc cable, ( cheap most places ) to plug it in to your phone or tablet's microport where you charge the phone. It will work with a keyboard as well. It works with my Amazon Fire and a cheapy tablet I bought from Amazon. When you open the Atariod app go to settings in the app. Plug in your device. You will see the setup for both keyboard and dpad. You can also use a Mouse with most newer Android phones with a On the Go cable. The Droid2600 app I think wont see the sub directory and is a top level which you cant modifiy unless you unlock which is a pretty advance mess if you dont know how. Dont recommend it if you are paying on a account. Also, for some reason I dont understand, my phone wont ' see ' a usb stick drive. That would be a great place to put roms.

At lest not with my zte zmax. Really ? Ill try the Droid2600 on the Fire 6 tablet and update you.

Maybe outdated and if thats the case the thread should be deleated. I had the 2600.emu when it was free. It was buggy as hell and I think g2600 is better. Much better. At lest on my zte which has this problem with Droid2600. Im just joining this website in which case there maybe something someone else has yet to read when joining as well so I posted a reply. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Maybe outdated and if thats the case the thread should be deleated. I had the 2600.emu when it was free. It was buggy as hell and I think g2600 is better. Much better. At lest on my zte which has this problem with Droid2600. Im just joining this website in which case there maybe something someone else has yet to read when joining as well so I posted a reply. Thanks for pointing it out though.

• Like 1

@MoonJammer - First, welcome to the forum.

I suggest checking dates on posts before replying. This thread is a year old. Also, Flojomojo already mentioned 2600.emu, which is the best 2600 emulator you can get for Android devices.

If there is something someone wishes to post today and it's on the same topic, it doesn't matter when the last activity is. There is nothing wrong with posting it. Every now and then I see this same line of thinking by some, that somehow it is no longer acceptable to pick back up on a topic just because it has been dormant a while. For those who feel the need to think that way, I suggest that they self censor and do not participate in them. But please, please, stop trying to convince others to adopt your ways.

Actually the lack of a discernible necro thread policy here is something I rather like. You get situations where someone posts back 10 YEARS after a post and you can see how things change. When most of our talk is about historical things that's a neat feature. It surprised me at first since I was use to fairly strict necro policies.

/thread derail

• Like 1

I wouldn't care much for that kind of policy. Good thing none of the many forums I've participated much in didn't have anything like that. I certainly would see people scold people about it, but I never confused those people with moderators or policy.